• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is your 'Online' Personality different to IRL?

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Yes, I am much more of a jerk online.

Edit: I also have speech problems aswell. I cant explain very well, I can on the internet, texting, anything like that but when I speak it, it becomes all jumbled. One time I forgot the word 'thing'. I was saying "pers..hous..apa.." words like that until I actually said the word "thing" :|

Years
  • Mine does, but only slightly. I am a bit more tolerant of others' BS on the net. But other than that, I am basically myself.

I don't really know if this counts as a personality thing, but I also have some speech problems (like stuttering) in real life.

ShadowLeader

because shadows follow...
    Years
  • Yeah. I'm quicker to get angry online, because it's harder to understand the actually intent of a comment without seeing the person's body language as well.

And in real life, I would hit you, not tell you you are wrong.

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    People tend to let their guard down online because it's easier to do online, there isn't the threat always of real life consequences and what not. When people don't feel as though they have to hide or hold back, they sometimes reveal parts of themselves they wouldn't show in the real world. :3

Reactions: Cid

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Mmm... its pretty much the same. Not that good with new people at first, but when I'm with my friends I can't stop talking. Really playful in both IRL and online, if that's what you call it.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I'm not putting on an act or playing a character so to speak, if that's what you meant. I'm the same me online and offline. Just...

A little more free online. The illusion of being protected by the screen and just feeling more comfortable communicating through type to people I don't know than a face-to-face meeting lets me be a little more open than I normally would.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I talk about violence and gore IRL a lot more often. Otherwise I am pretty much exactly the same.

Last edited:

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • I'm a bit more shy IRL, and also being online allows me not to have to experience tip of the tongue syndrome. XD;

Lash

Years
  • I'm shyer in real life, and I have some speech troubles in real life. I forget to speak when I should, and I stutter every now and then from lack of constant talking.

Despite this, when it comes to talking with friends I know in real life on twitter, myspace, or text message, I'm the same way I am online; open, talkative, and probably more humorous then I normally am.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I talk louder online. >:D

No, really, I just tend to.. speak my mind more, when I can type out what I want to say, and make sure I want to say it. I also tend to make friends easier, because my brain just doesn't think fast enough to think of a witty reply, when online I can give it a couple extra seconds. I'm sure this would apply to texting, too, but I'm too poor to have a cellphone. ;_;

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
  • I think I hold back in real life more than I do on PC. I mean if I insult someone on here, what're they gonna do? They don't know who I am, they can't hurt me. But in the real world you have to have a filter because you never know how someone might react.

Ayselipera

I'm more spontaneous and I speak my mind more.
    Which I think makes me seem like a jerk since you can't hear the tone of my voice and you can end up taking what I say either way.

Back