The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 5th, 2009, 03:45 PM
BaalASystemLord
Hounzalid Brigand

What is the difference between ROMs that are labeled "Pokemon Platinum (E)" and those labeled "Pokemon Platinum (EU)".

I downloaded one of each of those to check out, but just started them recently. So, far I haven't noticed any difference, but I was wondering if they really are different versions or if they were just given different names.

Is there anywhere that has a list of the different ROM endings (or whatever the E, EU, U, J and others are called) with what country or region it means they are from?

Hacks I want to play = Pokemon Ice (a hack of Gold), Pokemon Wisteria (a hack of Red), (I'll add more to this list as I find them.)

I like hacks that are new games better than remakes.
Old December 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Well... E and EU should be same, only difference I can think of is that E is England one and EU is for other European countries, U = American version and J = Japanese one.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Lucciola
Writing Down Your Name.

Nature: Serious
Okay this isn't actually for me but a mate of mine

I have a DS emulator, but I don't play the only game I have for it, (diamond) because its SO SLOW.
Any help on why that might be?

That's what he wrote, now I don't have the problem myself cause I got it fixed but my memory sucks so I can't remember the info/details of how to fix it and know the forum I found the information on and will try and track it down, but it's a big pretty big forum and I don't know how long it'll take so I thought you guys might be able to help quicker.

Man is a little wind that lilts the air
And passing leaves no shadow there
But I beside him when his days are flown
Take back my own, to be my own

I reject your reality and substitute my own

All that I'm hearing from you is white noise...
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:40 AM
NiKaNoRoU
Dedicated to Thrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucciola View Post
Okay this isn't actually for me but a mate of mine

I have a DS emulator, but I don't play the only game I have for it, (diamond) because its SO SLOW.
Any help on why that might be?

That's what he wrote, now I don't have the problem myself cause I got it fixed but my memory sucks so I can't remember the info/details of how to fix it and know the forum I found the information on and will try and track it down, but it's a big pretty big forum and I don't know how long it'll take so I thought you guys might be able to help quicker.
Does he use a DeSmuME?
Because if he does, here's an FAQ taken directly from the DeSmuME webpage on slow speed:
Spoiler:
[jq] Why is the emulator slow?

Because nobody pays us to work on it full time and it runs fast enough for us to be happy. Well, almost.
New releases may always be a step backwards in some (or many) cases from earlier releases in terms of speed. There is a delicate balance between compatibility and speed and sometimes one advances further than the other. At any rate, we have introduced a few speed hacks and toggles which you may find helpful:
  • (0.9.4) If you are in Windows, make sure you're not using the NOSSE2 build. That one is slower.
  • (0.9.5) If you are in Windows, make sure you're not using the NOSSE build. That one is slower.
  • (0.9.6) If you are in linux or OSX, try issuing --num-cores=2 or --num-cores=4 as appropriate to the emulator, as these ports don't know how to detect the numprocs on your system.
  • (0.9.5) If you are in linux, try making a build with SSE and SSE2 extensions enabled because the code is ready to handle it. Someone should provide details on how to do this.
  • If you are using someone else's unofficial "SVN" build, it probably is not fully optimized, since we make our Windows releases using some profiler-guided optimization, which helps by several FPS. For all I know, they are also carriers of viruses, and lately they tend to crash on Vista.
  • If you can handle it, turn off the sound.
  • Use frame skip. Even frameskipping by 1 will help and many games will stay playable. Frameskipping is continually tweaked in each release to get more bang for the buck, but beware that dual screen 3d games still may not work well under frameskip. If screens seem stuck, pick a different frameskip value.
  • (0.9.4+) In the sound options, set interpolation to none which should help a little bit.
  • (0.9.4 only) Turn on the sound option "ADPCM Caching"; this is new and experimental, and will break some things, but it should offer a substantial speedup in some cases.
  • (0.9.5+) Use dual/asynch SPU mode -- even if you turn off the sound. Try alternate synch methods if you must use synch spu mode.
  • (0.9.4+) There is now the option of disabling an entire screen. (Tools > View Layers > Main GPU, etc) Consider disabling a screen which is useless in the game you are playing.
  • Try the software rasterizer. In many cases, especially games which make only light use of the 3d hardware, this will actually run faster, by as many as 10 FPS. But it might also run slower, again, by as many as 10 FPS.
  • (0.9.5+) If you are using the software rasterizer, disable edge marking and fog if you feel like they aren't needed. If the game isn't using those features then this won't help.
  • Buying a newer, faster computer is somewhat more expensive, but it has other side benefits.
  • A faster CPU is more helpful than a bleeding edge graphics card. DeSmuME is more CPU intensive than it is GPU intensive. It just needs a graphics card that is glitch-free, and currently the NVIDIA cards have a better track record. A newer graphics card has a slim possibility of increasing speed.
  • The cheapest way to get 60fps is to buy the cart. You may find that this is not enough, and you need to buy a console as well. Here are some steps that have worked well for me in the past:
    • Look for neighbors that are mowing their own lawns. Ask them if they would like for you to do it instead.
    • Borrow your daddy's lawn mower and mow the neighbor's lawn.
    • After this, they will generally give you cash. As you repeat the above steps, this cash can accumulate to large values.
    • Once the accumulated cash is sufficient, it can be taken to a merchant where it can be exchanged for games and consoles.
  • My lawn needs mowing. It wont make your game run any faster if you mow it for me, but I am less likely to get evicted, which would be bad for my productivity.
[/jq]

Your knight from the plane of light
Old December 19th, 2009, 06:59 PM
dc_united
Josh Wicks doesn't like you

Nature: Adamant
I recently downloaded a Pokemon Stadium rom from coolrom, but I'm having some trouble with the controls. 'A' & 'B' I can find just fine, but the shoulder and c pad buttons are still beyond my grasp. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvo819 View Post
i saw a hypno once called "bootysweat"

i lol'ed and traded for it, because it was too funny to not trade for
Old December 19th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_united View Post
I recently downloaded a Pokemon Stadium rom from coolrom, but I'm having some trouble with the controls. 'A' & 'B' I can find just fine, but the shoulder and c pad buttons are still beyond my grasp. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Those others should be Insert, Home, End and Delete.

Old December 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Kotowari
Will be back eventually
Community Supporter Tier 5

I have question regarding the sound in DS Emulators. I tried running ROMs in no$GBA and desmuME.
While the video is almost good, the sound is just horrible. I can recognise the original tune in it, but it's cracking like a microphone that has noise in it... a lot of noise.
I noticed the emulator isn't working on 100%, more 60%.

Is there a way to fix these troubles? I'm no pc/emu wiz, so I'd like a clear explanation. ' Thank you in advance.

(Oh, yes, I'm working with Vista)

"We shall build a peaceful world... Just you and me..."
Old December 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Pekin
I make Fakemon sprites.

Nature: Relaxed
Righto, quick question here - Is it possible to trade between two games on no$gba? (On the same computer, of course) - I would love having a Porygon-Z on my team during my Normal-type mono.
Old December 25th, 2009, 03:12 AM
mondays suck
:)

Is is playing Pokemon on Nosgba without Sound possible, because always when I try it, the game freezes when a Pokemon's cry would be played.
Old December 25th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Trap-Eds
Dig a hole, dig a hole........

Nature: Quirky
I just downloaded Pokemon Silver on my VBA emulator. I also have Pokemon Emerald on VBA and since I've had trouble with the save file on that-it's fixed now, thank god-I was just wondering if I save my game on Silver, will that affect my Emerald save file in any way? 'Cause if my Emerald gets deleted AGAIN-I think I'm gonna lose my mind.
:cer_boogie:
Old December 26th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Does anybody know if the EZ-Flash patch has been made for Mario & Lugi - Bowser's Inside Story?
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Ashachu
The evolved form of Ash!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ashachu
Im using VBA, and i cant get Pokemon Emerald to start, it turns just to a white screen, not anything else.
I've tried the thingy with flash 128k and 64k, automatic... Doesnt work...

Whats wrong?
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashachu View Post
Im using VBA, and i cant get Pokemon Emerald to start, it turns just to a white screen, not anything else.
I've tried the thingy with flash 128k and 64k, automatic... Doesnt work...

Whats wrong?
Maybe it's bad ROM, try downloading a new one.
Old December 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Dashi_sato
New ROMhacker

Hey i reaaally need someones help.
I want to play pokemon romhacks on my gba. What is the basic flash cart and writer/linker thing i need to buy? Someone please give me a link.
you can pm me
thanks

SMASH THE NEW WORLD ORDER>
IMPEACH OBAMA

My band: H1N1, Austin Texas Anti-NWO Militant Thrash Core Punk rock.
Mouthfull.
https://www.myspace.com/deadyuppiesaustintexas
^Official H1N1 page
Old December 30th, 2009, 06:09 PM
IhateRapidshare
Beginning Trainer

er..may i ask why my hack rom can work on vba but not on the psp with the gpspkai?
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:39 AM
Xine
I LIEK U

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Xine
umm.....does anybody know if there's a way to trade between ROMs ?

i use Desmume and i know the wi-fi connection are disabled.... DX

Old January 12th, 2010, 10:34 PM
cheatfreak23
Commander&Chief of cheatcodes

Is there a version of the VBA emulator that can actually speed up the GBA Pokemon games? I always get a supersonic speed from Red, Blue, Yellow, and the rest of the GBC ones, but its superslow for the GBA ones...
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatfreak23 View Post
Is there a version of the VBA emulator that can actually speed up the GBA Pokemon games? I always get a supersonic speed from Red, Blue, Yellow, and the rest of the GBC ones, but its superslow for the GBA ones...
Use Space Bar?
Every VBA version has this function.

Old January 13th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Lati-Fan95
I completed my HG Pokedex!^^

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Lati-Fan95
i'd like to know whether there is a way to trade between two .gbc or two .gba roms with vba? I heard that there's a tool for that, but I'm not THAT sure...
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lati-Fan95 View Post
i'd like to know whether there is a way to trade between two .gbc or two .gba roms with vba? I heard that there's a tool for that, but I'm not THAT sure...^^
It's called VBA Link if you mean that.

Last edited by Lilith; March 31st, 2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:31 AM
NiKaNoRoU
Dedicated to Thrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lati-Fan95 View Post
i'd like to know whether there is a way to trade between two .gbc or two .gba roms with vba? I heard that there's a tool for that, but I'm not THAT sure...
From the Emulation FAQ:
Q. Is linking between emulators possible?
A. Well just recently, there's been a breakthrough (for Windows users) and now you will be able to trade between two open emulators on your computer.
You can get VBALink here.
Steps:
1. Open however many windows as you want players (two for Pokemon trading), maximum four.
2. Load the ROMs in the emulator windows you wish to load up.
3. Import save files you wish to load into those windows.
4. Select Options: Emulator and uncheck "Pause when inactive window".
5. Edit the default joystick for each emulator window and edit the controls so that each default joypad is different. Otherwise you'd find yourself controlling all four windows with the same controls.
6. Start doing your linkages. Try to avoid clicking any menus, windows or anything else that pauses the emulation or lags it that it almost halts. This will interfere with any connections established with other windows and the link will terminate.

Depending on how fast your computer is, the speed of each VisualBoyAdvance window may be somewhat slow if your computer is slow. This shouldn't affect the links, however, but you might find a bit of lag.

Your knight from the plane of light
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:02 AM
ElBurrito
Trainer of Shadows

Does anyone know how to get advanced text to work for emerald? when i open advanced text and load emerald theres no text to edit. Is there a missing file i need?
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBurrito View Post
Does anyone know how to get advanced text to work for emerald? when i open advanced text and load emerald theres no text to edit. Is there a missing file i need?
Did you search for a text you wanted to replace?

Old January 15th, 2010, 04:49 AM
ElBurrito
Trainer of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
Did you search for a text you wanted to replace?
Thanks. I figured out what to do now. Now i can get started on my hack.
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:57 AM
cheatfreak23
Commander&Chief of cheatcodes

@Ash493: Ive done the space bar, but it doesnt help at all. Ive even tried the throttle stuff, but that just slows it down instead of speeding it up.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links