• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Congrats for beating RED Cardwell
    And to those guys who helped me thanks but i am using Yellow not FR/LG

I am now in Cleadon City and have gotten Eeve and Vulpix and evolved them both with fire stones I bought. oh and Charizard evolved

Pokemon

Zard (Charizard) lv 36
    Flare (Flareon) lv 25
    Tay (Ninetails) lv 18

Time for some grinding
    Since you evolved vulpix right away, you're pretty much limited to TM moves for ninetails. i'd go with fire blast (tm 38, you win it from blanie), double edge (tm 10, found in the rocket hideout in celedon), toxic (tm 06, you win it from koga) and mimic (tm 31, gift from copy cat girl for giving her a pokedoll, it is AMAZING, copy fissure off one of giovannis guys, use an x accuracy and it cant miss, copy psychic from agathas gengar, copy ice beam from lane's dragonair, ext ect)

as for falreon, it learns flamethrower at level 52, you can teach it hyper beam with tm 15, which is bout at the game corner. the other two moves i have no idea. hope that helped.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • Yes you did, so catch another one and level it up as a Vulpix this time.

By the way, could I potentially use Green version for Kanto?

It's still Kanto, so yea. I don't see any reason why not. You'll just be navigating through a ton of Japanese text.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2016
    Don't know why but I grinded all my pokemon to Lv.30(probably overkill, right?). Before that I beat Misty then I defeated Lt. Surge.

My Current Team:

Jigglypuff - Lv.30
    Clefairy - Lv.32
    Raticate - Lv.30
    Pidgeotto - Lv.30
    Sandshrew - My HM Slave

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • @jd: The myrrh says...

moooooooo.

But yeah, you're fine if you want to use green.

@jt: well, you done goofed when you chose yellow instead of blue. I did a dual Charizard + Magmar run and it was very nice. Magmar is a beast with Psychic.

In other news, I grinded my team to level 49-51 in my HG Water mono.

Time to play Ruby Steel mono.

Edit: made it out of VR. And oh boy, Sydney is going to be tough. Sharpedo hurts...
    The only way I can get past Sharpedo right now is if I send out Electrike and he uses Crunch or Slash instead of Surf and I paralyze him with Static. I can OHKO him if I get him paralyzed. But he can OHKO me if I don't...
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Start of Ultimate Monotype Challenge #2.

New Ulitmate Montotype Challenge: Normal Type.

Going with Green to start. Using an english translated one, which isn't perfect, but most of the moves and items are readable.

Right now I started the game with name of Norm and Rival as Joe.

- Caught Rattata (Fang) and used him against Brock, then caught a Clefairy (Fairy) in Mt. Moon and evolved it with the Moon Stone right away.
    - Went with those two until Celadon City, where I caught a Doduo (Twin).
    - After I beat TR hideout, I got Snorlax (Sleep), then after finally saving enough money picked up Porygon (Pory).
    - I also have Farfetch'd (Dux) as a Cut slave, which I got in Vermilion City.

Some screenshots of my journey:

Spoiler:

As of right now, I have 4 badges, and am currently training Porygon on Cycling Road.

Team Norm:
    Spr_1g_137.png

Pory the Porygon - L20
    Moves: Psychic, Sharpen, Conversion, Tri Attack
    Spr_1g_143.png

Sleep the Snorlax - L35
    Moves: Body Slam, Amnesia, Rest, Rock Slide
    Spr_1g_085.png

Twin the Dodrio - L36
    Moves: Drill Peck, Fly, Fury Attack, Body Slam
    Spr_1g_020.png

Fang the Raticate - L36
    Moves: Hyper Fang, Quick Attack, Double-Edge, Dig
    Spr_1g_036.png

Fairy the Clefable - L36
    Moves: Mega Punch, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Bubblebeam
    Spr_1g_083.png

Dux the Farfetch'd - L12
    Slave Moves: Cut

Well. You don't see those sprites every day.

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Man you guys are just way too fast for me.

By the way, I guess those of you who post screens are playing on emulators, right?

This week on Cathar's UMC Ground:

Spoiler:

Team Soulsilver:
    34.png

Loverboy the Nidoking, Level 43
    Spoiler:

195.png

Bowser the Quagsire, Level 42
    Spoiler:

Everyone else is in the box because I am loaded up with Swinub eggs.
    I'm thinking of ditching the Graveler for now, as I won't be able to trade until mid-february.
    But who else to take on the team?

Until next time,

Cheers,
    Peter

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Man you guys are just way too fast for me.

By the way, I guess those of you who post screens are playing on emulators, right?
    Right. The emulators also come with speed buttons and trading capabilities, too (for first three Gens), which make them even more convenient.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • @jt: hold off until 35. Vulpix learns Flamethrower at that level, which Ninetails can't learn. You can go to online sites like serebii/bulbapedia/psypokes and they'll tell you all the moves that your Pokemon can learn + much much more.

@cathar: yeah, I usually go with an emulator because playing on the real thing is just so slow. And you can trade with yourself if you are so inclined, though I am not.

Also, everything is updated on my side! Yay go everything!

Edity: On HG, I beat all the Kanto Gyms. On to Elite Four round 2! Also, I fell in love with Viridian's Gym design. I just sort of ran around and watched the tiles light up. It was fun.

The Starmies are around 52 now, and the Feraligatrs are around 55 now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2012
    @Myrr - Lego Land > 4th Gen Viridian

Anyway, no work or classes today. So I decided to finish up Crystal. Went smoothly except for a few bumps. Red's Charizard is beastly.

Spoiler:

In short, Elite Four was a piece of cake. Blue's Arcanine is a beast with those Critical chains. Red's Charizard is godly. I now love Pilloswine for no reason, and will probably start using one in my main team outside this challenge...

Crystal Final Team:

Spr_2c_221.gif

PuhiPuhi the Piloswine - Lv60 @ Softsand
    Blizzard
    Earthquake
    Hidden Power (Turned out Water)
    Take Down

Spr_2c_091.gif

Tap Deck the Cloyster - Lv.57 @ Mystic Water
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Attract
    Swift

Spr_2c_215.gif

Shredder the Sneasel - Lv.56 @ Black Glasses
    Dynamic Punch
    Faint Attack
    Slash
    Iron Tail

Spr_2c_131.gif

May the Lapras - Lv.57 @ Dragon Fang
    Ice Beam
    Dragon Breath
    Rain Dance (Hydo Pump AFTER Charizard ;_; )
    Thunder

Spr_2c_124.gif

Trish II the Jynx - Lv.55 @ Nevermelt Ice (Didn't have the Psychic or Ghost boosting item)
    Blizzard
    Psychic
    Dizzy Punch
    Shadow Ball

Spr_2c_087.gif

Travis T. the Dewgong - Lv.55 @ Pink Bow
    Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Ice Beam
    Headbutt

On to Ruby.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • After that I decided to finish up my grinding in Victory Road as it was just giving out EXP like it was Christmas. After everyone made it to 50 (And my lead to 55) I headed off to the Elite Four, which I had expected to be a little more difficult... Oh, I also used those TMs I've been hoarding to make my team less mono-tone.
    Dude, L50 is way high for the first Elite 4, holy crap.

With Blue's Arcanine shenanigans out of the way I was a little worried about Red, but I decided to just go for it as Cardwell took him out with Pokemon only slightly higher than mine, and with half the team amount. I was slightly off as it didn't exactly go my way...
    I usually grind my team to L60 for Red in GSC, usually against the Elite Four, which is really easy in GSC. The reason your Cloyster didn't survive Flamethrower is because it has extremely crappy special defense lol. Anyway, L60 is prolly the best baseline for beating Red without using too many items (Max Revives....).

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2012
    Dude, L50 is way high for the first Elite 4, holy crap.
    Yeah it was. I blame Jynx. I had several Pokemon up to Lv.50 already, and my weird OCD like nature wouldn't let me continue on until the rest were around that spot. It's fine though, after the league I was so over leveled that I didn't do very many trainer battles in Kanto and just hit Gym after Gym and then went straight to Red, so I ended up at the same place I would have been end game anyway.

I usually grind my team to L60 for Red in GSC, usually against the Elite Four, which is really easy in GSC. The reason your Cloyster didn't survive Flamethrower is because it has extremely crappy special defense lol. Anyway, L60 is prolly the best baseline for beating Red without using too many items (Max Revives....).
    Yeah Cloyster's not a Special Tank, but I thought it could AT LEAST take one Flamethrower. Put too much expectation on him in that fight. And I did pretty good 55-60 with no items. Once I took down the Charizard the rest of the team was pretty easy, just a few minor bumps on Blastoise's luck factor.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • In HG, I thought that you had to fight the E4 a second time before you could fight red, but apparently I was wrong. I still think I'm going to train on them for a while, at least my EQ Feraligatr (for Pikachu). Just looked over his team on Bulbapedia and I think I will just revive off his Venusaur.

Years
  • Oh Hoenn... how much I really cant decide if i like or hate thy...

Anyways, i've made progress! 3 badges down
    th_roxanne.png
    th_brawly.png
    th_wattson.png

And i know those pictures dont make it seem like it, but combusken isn't my only pokemon. I'm currently heading north, and saving up enough money to buy a flamethrower TM for combusken.

Current Team
    Spr_3r_256.png

Combusken (lvl 28)
    -Ember
    -Peck
    -Rock Tomb
    -Double Kick
    Spr_3r_286.png

Breloom (lvl 27)
    -Headbutt
    -Mach Punch
    -Leech Seed
    -Mega Drain

HM Slaves
    Zigzagoon (Cut, Rock Smash)

Years
  • At last, started my 4th leg of my poison umc!

I chose piplup, for torterras super effectiveness against ground to make the game more challenging. I got my watch and caught Rosey, the Budew, who was holding a poison barb. I went to the cave and caught a zubat and named him Zulu. I trained them both to level 10 and went to the coal mine. After i found the gym leader, i trained them both to level 15 and i challenged the gym. His pokemon died fast to Roseys mega drain. Almost had a little trouble against crainados, but after he healed him, Rosey took him down in one shot.

I'm gonna wait till tomorrow morning before i continue so i can hopefully maybe evolve Rosey.

Rosey/Budew

Level 17

-Mega Drain
    -Growth
    -Water Sport
    -Stun Spore

Zulu/Zubat

Level 15

-Leech Life
    -Super Sonic
    -Astonish
    -Bite