• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Unfair Advantage

PFrog

Creator of PFrog.CJB.net
Years
  • I've been thinking lately. Has anyone else noticed that in the original series of Pokemon (R,B,Y) Magnemite was a plain Electric-type. Then in the "GS" series (G,S,C) they added the "Steel Advantage" by adding a new type (Steel). Now in the latest series (Ruby, Sapphire) they added yet another ability to it, Levitate.

I can see adding levatate but I think it should have the disadvantages of flying, it's weakness to Electric and Rock attacks. I think without the disadvantages it'a unfair to own a Magnemite.

What do you think?

-PFrog

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Magneton is weak to a lot more than that... It's weak to fighting, ground, fire (ahem...)... Fire alone gives Magneton enough trouble already. Low sp.def along with double damage? Doomsday for Magneton... Plus you know what Magneton's moveset is going to be as it's extremely un-flexible.. no good movepools for this guy too.

Sleek

Eon Trainer
    Years
  • Being multiple types is partly a good thing, since you are multiple types (duh). The bad part is that you may be more vulnerable to other elements now. There are a few exceptions to that rule, such as Kingdra. There is nothing super effective against Kingdra. I'd have to say in the whole game either Kindra or Shedinja have the biggest advantage overall.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Sleek said:
    Being multiple types is partly a good thing, since you are multiple types (duh). The bad part is that you may be more vulnerable to other elements now. There are a few exceptions to that rule, such as Kingdra. There is nothing super effective against Kingdra. I'd have to say in the whole game either Kindra or Shedinja have the biggest advantage overall.
    Dragon type attacks are super-effective to Kingdra, and Sableye can be hurt by fighting moves after foresight. Shedinja can be fainted by Toxic, Spikes, weather, goes on and on. Poor thing.

Josh

Level 99 Black Belt
    Years
  • Sableye is the only PoKeMoN that has the biggest advantage out of all of the PoKeMoN since it's both a Ghost Type and a Dark Type which makes it tak normal damage from Ghost and Dark type attacks, but once Foresight is used on it it's in Mayjor trouble.

Spike Razzor

"Don't argue, you failed..."
    Years
  • I thought Magnaton's ability was Magnet Pull and Sturdy? Koffing and Wheezing (can't spell its name x.x) can levitate, making it only weak to Psychic move. In all having a second type actually makes you balance out, you gain more advantages and disavantages. Magnaton would become roasted if a Typlosion used Overheat or Fire blast, so no it doesn't gain any speacial advantage over anything.

Sleek

Eon Trainer
    Years
  • Oh, I forgot Dragon against Dragon is super-effective. I still have trouble with it in Battle Tower though. Yes, Sableye is really good, I have him in my Sapphire rom. Surprisingly, a pokemon with Ice-Beam has an advantage over most types...Go Glalie!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • HP Bug on Sableye anyone? Seems that we are forgetting about that... fighting isn't Sableye's "only" bane...

Arore

I Like to Kill Things
    Years
  • Well the primary idea is to make the Pokemon a bit stronger as more games are made; basically, to make the game better than all the rest. But they do have their faults. It's just how the game goes...although I did like Magneton better when it was normal Electric, but now with Steel it has even more weaknesses than before...

Deranged

Secretly Popular
    Years
  • frostweaver said:
    HP Bug on Sableye anyone? Seems that we are forgetting about that... fighting isn't Sableye's "only" bane...

Are we just talking Super Effective hits here?

If so, then Sableye's Ghost traits(sp?) prevent Bug moves from being Super Effective. :(

On a side note, if you use Foresight on Sableye, then a Fighting move, does it still come up "Super Effective"

(I have Ruby, so I can't check in the wild myself)

:D

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    It sure does. Much better ways to take it down, but the answer to your question is yes.

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    It allows Ghosts to be hit by normal and fighting moves, and removes things on the foe like Double Team.

Arore

I Like to Kill Things
    Years
  • In Gold I had a Hoothoot that knew it, but I deleted it for a new technique because I never knew what it was used for. +_+

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2004
    um...magnemite has no levitate...

it has magnet pull or sturdy... (good, it retains its quad weakness against ground!)

but why are the electric types so special? especially pikachu, dammit i hate pikachu!!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • censor out swears please... use **** for example

electric Pokemon are good because... STAB thunderbolt is always nice. Plus a lot of them have awesome sp.att with a fast speed, so they can be an excellent sp.att sweeper. Their fast speed along with thunderwave are just a pain for your opponent.

Pikachu can get both sweet kiss and thunderwave so it's pretty powerful itself. It can use endure/reversal along with surf in the past which can prove itself to be such a flexible Pokemon. Plus it's so adorable! ^_^

Back