The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 19th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
What sort of anime/manga do you normally go for? The more 'realistic' ones with simpler designs and a greater emphasis on emotion or the more 'fantastic' ones with more outrageous designs and a greater emphasis on spectacle?

Gogogo...
Old July 21st, 2012, 05:36 AM
Seiren
Playing the Spirit's Tune~

Nature: Quiet
I lean more towards the 'fantastic' category, but only because the storyline and the emotions conveyed within anime that would fall into the 'realistic' category are often poorly done and/or predictable, and the lack of anything else to distract me from how badly it's written drive me away from it.

A good story can entertain me just as much as a lot of show can - stuff like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Steins;Gate rank amongst my favourites and, whilst calling them 'realistic' might be a stretch, they portray a more realistic image than fantasy settings, etc - but the problem is finding a good story. I've seen it all before, and it doesn't entertain me anymore. Plot twists are only good if you don't see them coming, and if you've seen the same plot twist being used somewhere else in almost exactly the same fashion, it loses its impact.

For some reason, I never tire of action sequences. They can be very samey as well, but it's the little things that make them interesting. I'm probably just too unforgiving of plotlines being re-used in different anime. xD
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:55 AM
Esper

I... can't answer this based on your categories. I don't know how to separate them.

Like, I've got Cardcaptor Sakura for instance. I wouldn't describe it as "outrageous" but I could see it as having an emphasis on spectacle. And it might not be "realistic" or "simple" but it does have an emphasis on emotion.

I guess I don't favor one or the other?

deviantart blog pair
Old July 21st, 2012, 12:57 PM
Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I... can't answer this based on your categories. I don't know how to separate them.

Like, I've got Cardcaptor Sakura for instance. I wouldn't describe it as "outrageous" but I could see it as having an emphasis on spectacle. And it might not be "realistic" or "simple" but it does have an emphasis on emotion.

I guess I don't favor one or the other?
I thought this meant Realistic or Fantasy

CCS is probably Fantastical - pretty summoning scenes, costume changes, etc.

I much prefer fantasy/combat anime. High school comedies and realistic ones (except for some detective series I've seen) tend to bore me a little.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:36 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

I guess by 'realistic', I meant that the stakes are inherently lower than that of a 'fantastic' series. Obviously there is potential for high-levels of emotion in both, but I've often felt that 'realistic' anime series tend to focus more on that sort of thing because they haven't got as much of a sense of spectacle to lure viewers in. Hopefully that clears things up a bit.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 04:29 AM
Krazzikk

Well from your choices I would say realistic. I was animes like Pantasia, and Haruhi, but I used to watch One Piece which would go under 'fantastic'. It really just depends on what you describe as fantastic and realistic =D
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:37 AM
Mentalii
Back

Nature: Gentle
I prefer realistic anime (even if there's often a "fantastic" touch in them). Animes with too much spectacle tend to annoy me, I like action but when it's pretty soft. I also love all that concerns mystery, but in the most realistic way possible.

Old July 24th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Spinosaurus

Considering the only anime I even watch are about crimes, boxing and baseball, (Detective Conan, Hajime no Ippo and Major respectively) then obviously realistic for me.

Generally I'm not a real fan of anime, and only watch the aforementioned shows because they involve a hobby or interest. The only fantastic anime I even like is the original Dragon Ball, but in the end it still involves an interest of mine. (Karate fighting.)
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Depends on the anime, its genre, and what I expect from it. If it's a mahou shoujo series like Pretty Cure, then I expect to see a lot of fantastic sparkling attacks, transforming sequences, and larger than life villains.

However, if it's a slow paced slice of life series I'm watching, I want things to be kept as realistic as possible. Typically, I don't want to see elements like vampires, zombies or magic mixed into my slow paced slice of life (I can however point to two series - the older Someday's Dreamers and the more recent Natsuiro Kiseki as ones that featured a bit of the supernatural while still retaining a very realistic and believable feel to the show). The same could be said for the high school romance series... I'd rather it focus mainly on the romance without the extra gimmicks.

Again, it all depends on the genre of the show and what I'm in the mood for at that time.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old July 27th, 2012, 02:25 AM
YungKnowledge
Kigo & Jori Shipper

I guess I have to say Realistic because I like anime like Case Closed, Honey Clover, and Slam Dunk. I like other animes but those happen to be my favorites as right now.

Old July 27th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Shadow Broker
Beginning Trainer

I like realistic anime better. The more detail in the art the better. I like both, but realistic anime really gets me. Things like Grave of the Fireflies. SADDEST MOVIE EVER.
Old August 13th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Cassino
A TPC classic.

Given that I've started watching Legend of Galactic Heroes, I suppose realistic.

Stuff like Gurren Lagann generally turns me off at so much as a glance.
Old August 13th, 2012, 11:29 AM
ZetaZaku
AEUG Pilot

I watch them all, from shows like Gundam that feature some realistic elements, to shows like Pretty Cure that feature magical girls. But it really depends on the genre. If I watch an action show, I want it to be realistic and not like Black Lagoon where people run towards bullets and get missed. If I watch a slice of life, I don't want supernatural elements (example: Clannad, where the supernatural elements ruined the show for me) and just want them to do interesting stuff.

PM for Happy Hour Smeagles
Old August 13th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Aisu

Nature: Adamant
Fantastic. It's like, awesome.
Might Guy's...well...might

ComicFury / deviantArt / Fanfiction
Old September 1st, 2012, 05:02 PM
BBA_Beyblader_321
♥ the abbey boys

Nature: Sassy
A bit of a mix... I enjoy things like Ao No Exorcist and FMA, but I REALLY like things like :
Beyblade, Air Gear, Prince of Tennis, etc. Things that are plausible but have that twist thats totally unrealistic~ XD
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Kouzan
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
I prefer realistic anime more than fantastic, though I like both. Several years ago I would of said fantastic cause I was still watching more of the popular series such as Naruto and Bleach and at the time the popular stuff were mostly fantasy. Now I've been watching more not as popular anime which tend to be more realistic. Some of my favorites such as Azumanga Diaoh and Lucky Star fall into that slice of life genre. Some other favorites include Durarara and Haruhi (which does have some fantasy elements in it).

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:50 AM
voltianqueen
WITH SEAWATER

I usually prefer fantastic anime (and everything) over realistic ones. It really just depends, though, since I love shows like Azumanga Daioh and Yuru Yuri, meanwhile some other favorites include Madoka and Digimon. Depends on what I feel like, I guess, but I usually want fantasy.
Old September 12th, 2012, 08:49 AM
AresTheAwesome
The Awesome Trainer...

Nature: Adamant
Well odds are there wont be much Giga Drill Breaking or Super Saiyan Transformations going on in realistic so...

The flames in my heart have been re-lit, now I will resume catching them all.
Old September 13th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Antemortem

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
I admittedly prefer a mix of both. I like anime that get into the nitty-gritty, sensitive side of emotion, such as some obvious elements of, say, Eureka 7 or Durarara!!!. At the same time, I like elements of fantastic/fantasy, and the more explosive designs, plots and characters, such as Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist. If I had to answer one way or another, I'd go with fantastic.

kawaii in the sheets
Old September 13th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Altomare
Purupuru!

Well, I like Yugio, Gundam, Transformers...that's anything but realistic. So yeah, I'll go with Fantastic.

Sponsored Links