< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > Main Series Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation BlackWhite Nintendo Needs You to Play in Winter for Some Reason

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Closed Thread Closed Thread
Old November 3rd, 2012 (4:52 PM).
Delapitated Account
Opelucid Gym uses Dragon-type Pokemon. Ice-type moves are super effective, but the only Ice-type moves available pre-National Dex can only be learned by Ice-type Pokémon, and Ice-type Pokémon only appear during Winter, rendering Opelucid Gym impossible in Spring, Summer, and Autumn.

I am aware of the Giant Chasm, but that location is inaccessible pre-National Dex.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (5:01 PM).
Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Not true. Cryognal is 1% for the rest of the season and Cubchoo is also available.

You can catch Vanlilish in the Ice Cooler place...forgot its name...Cold Storage.

All of Unova's Ice types are available. Year round, just rarer and harder to get than if you hunted in the winter.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (5:14 PM).
white is cold
Crystal Tier
Nature: Quirky
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Not true. Cryognal is 1% for the rest of the season and Cubchoo is also available.

You can catch Vanlilish in the Ice Cooler place...forgot its name...Cold Storage.

All of Unova's Ice types are available. Year round, just rarer and harder to get than if you hunted in the winter.
You mean Vanillite, not Vanillish.

But yeah, winter is set apart from other seasons by a few things such as the snow in Icirrus City, Twist Mountain, Dragonspiral Tower, Route 8 and Moor of Icirrus, and new locations opening up.

Cryogonal is extremely rare outside of winter, but I managed to catch one during the summer. But you can take on Opelucid's Gym any month if you have a Vanillite since its good Special Attack and learning Ice Beam at a sufficient level makes all the difference.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (5:17 PM).
Loading... Please wait
Nature: Relaxed
Just because dragons are weak to ice doesn't mean you have to have an ice type/ice move to beat the gym.

Also, there is trading.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (5:42 PM).
Nature: Jolly
You could just catch an Axew in Mistralton... Or a Vanillite in Cold Storage. There's that. I've never had a problem on Opelucid City Gym even though I often didn't feel like having a Haxorus nor did I EVER have a Vanlluxe on my team.

Oh, and there's also Cubchoo/Beartic and Cryogonal.

Oh, and I believe you mean Game Freak, not Nintendo. Nintendo is the publisher, Game Freak is the developer.
Old November 3rd, 2012 (7:32 PM).
Monster hunting Snivy
Nature: Lax
i beat that gym without ice types. It was all luck
I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.

Old November 3rd, 2012 (9:06 PM).
I want to see the world with you.
Nature: Quiet
To beat Opelucid City Gym without ice-types, all you need to go for is pure accurate power plus some good speed and defences, like how I did mine. Ice-types do make it a lot easier, but the gym's definitely beatable even without them. All the best.

Old November 3rd, 2012 (9:25 PM).
☆ a sky full of stars
Crystal TierEO
Yeah the posts in this thread seem to explain it, and before this becomes a "strategy to beat Opelucid Gym" thread, I'm gunna lock this. Also mainly because there's threads on the hardest gym leaders and such, and while I'm usually open minded with theory threads like this, this one just seems to become a little too specific and with the evidence given there isn't that much to back it up. However you're free to make a thread on why you think the Winter season has increased changes in the games more than the other seasons if you want, but otherwise there isn't really that much to discuss other than how to defeat the gym. But yeah, just spend time around Dragonspiral Tower and Cold Storage and you'll see there's no favouritism towards Winter in terms of the Pokemon that can be obtained.

Feel free to get involved in discussions in B/W's other threads though! :)
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Closed Thread Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links