The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, hens return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:52 PM
EnglishMilkshake
Delapitated Account

Opelucid Gym uses Dragon-type Pokemon. Ice-type moves are super effective, but the only Ice-type moves available pre-National Dex can only be learned by Ice-type Pokémon, and Ice-type Pokémon only appear during Winter, rendering Opelucid Gym impossible in Spring, Summer, and Autumn.

I am aware of the Giant Chasm, but that location is inaccessible pre-National Dex.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
Khrysta

Not true. Cryognal is 1% for the rest of the season and Cubchoo is also available.

You can catch Vanlilish in the Ice Cooler place...forgot its name...Cold Storage.

All of Unova's Ice types are available. Year round, just rarer and harder to get than if you hunted in the winter.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Hikamaru
→ make a wish

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Not true. Cryognal is 1% for the rest of the season and Cubchoo is also available.

You can catch Vanlilish in the Ice Cooler place...forgot its name...Cold Storage.

All of Unova's Ice types are available. Year round, just rarer and harder to get than if you hunted in the winter.
You mean Vanillite, not Vanillish.

But yeah, winter is set apart from other seasons by a few things such as the snow in Icirrus City, Twist Mountain, Dragonspiral Tower, Route 8 and Moor of Icirrus, and new locations opening up.

Cryogonal is extremely rare outside of winter, but I managed to catch one during the summer. But you can take on Opelucid's Gym any month if you have a Vanillite since its good Special Attack and learning Ice Beam at a sufficient level makes all the difference.
And not forget where you’ve come from

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Zero Percent
Loading... Please wait

Nature: Relaxed
Just because dragons are weak to ice doesn't mean you have to have an ice type/ice move to beat the gym.

Also, there is trading.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly
You could just catch an Axew in Mistralton... Or a Vanillite in Cold Storage. There's that. I've never had a problem on Opelucid City Gym even though I often didn't feel like having a Haxorus nor did I EVER have a Vanlluxe on my team.

Oh, and there's also Cubchoo/Beartic and Cryogonal.

Oh, and I believe you mean Game Freak, not Nintendo. Nintendo is the publisher, Game Freak is the developer.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:32 PM
TheBigMan0706
UMAD?

Nature: Lax
i beat that gym without ice types. It was all luck

who knew?

I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:06 PM
Autumn Reverie
d a y d r e a m

Location: Above Singapore, below Thailand. Hm, you don't know where that is?
Nature: Modest
To beat Opelucid City Gym without ice-types, all you need to go for is pure accurate power plus some good speed and defences, like how I did mine. Ice-types do make it a lot easier, but the gym's definitely beatable even without them. All the best.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:25 PM
Forever

Yeah the posts in this thread seem to explain it, and before this becomes a "strategy to beat Opelucid Gym" thread, I'm gunna lock this. Also mainly because there's threads on the hardest gym leaders and such, and while I'm usually open minded with theory threads like this, this one just seems to become a little too specific and with the evidence given there isn't that much to back it up. However you're free to make a thread on why you think the Winter season has increased changes in the games more than the other seasons if you want, but otherwise there isn't really that much to discuss other than how to defeat the gym. But yeah, just spend time around Dragonspiral Tower and Cold Storage and you'll see there's no favouritism towards Winter in terms of the Pokemon that can be obtained.

Feel free to get involved in discussions in B/W's other threads though! :)

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links