• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What does it feel like to die?

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    I think the distinction has to be made about dying and actually being dead. Dying occurs at various different speeds and sensations, all pretty bad I imagine. :/ And as for being dead, who knows. I'd assume it's better than the feeling of actually dying, because you'd finally be at peace.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • So a few minutes ago I read this thread and really wondered how does it feel to die. So I grabbed a knife and stabbed myself in the heart with it, then used one of my revives to bring me back. And I gotta say, it really hurts, I don't know if it's the metal or the blood streaming out of me, but I felt really cold before dying :(

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    What does it feel like to go to sleep? That's what dying feels like.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I guess it depends on the means of death.. but in that final few moments.. I would think it feels like teetering on the edge of sleep.. those moments where you don't know if you asleep or not..

Though sometimes I wonder.. is life in the grand scheme of things just an eyeblink? All these things I care about so much now.. It feels like.. it is worth it? To me, yes, and although I'd want to hold on to them, I know I can't. Everything is a fleeting moment.. but isn't that what makes it wonderful in a way?

"I've been saving.. these last words for.. one last miracle, now I'm not sure.. I can't save you ~~"

Something funny, though.. did you know Oscar Wilde's last words actually were "These curtains will be the death of me"? Haha!

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    As for what it feels like...I wouldn't know.
    But supposedly you sort of float above yourself and can look down at your body. My grandfather died and was brought back, and that's how he described it.

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    I don't know anything about death, but here's my theory. Once you die, there's no more thump-uh-thump in your chest cavity. Your problems suddenly wash away, clearing your mind, but then comes in the loneliness. You see a flash of white light, then there's sort of like this mental trial going on. God makes you go to jail, or if you're worthy, you go to heaven.

Years
  • How do you know it isn't?

Listen carefully kid. I'm going to teach you a lesson in logic.

Toujours: "What does it feel like to go to sleep? That's what dying feels like."

This is an assertion. An assertion can be challenged like so;

Drakow: "How do you know that is the case?"

However my post is not an assertion. Nowhere does my post imply that dying does not feel like sleeping or otherwise give any indicator of my opinion with regards to what dying actually feels like. Therefore it is not logically viable and it is incorrect for you to challenge what I have said because I haven't given any opinion as to what dying actually feels like.

Edit: Just read Shining Raichu's post and I will not challenge his claim because he has based it off his own opinion by using the words "I think". Toujours on the other hand has just said "That's what dying feels like" and this implies absolute truth which is just completely absurd as no one can actually know what it's like to die until they are experiencing their final moments.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I think it would depend on how death is brought. My paw paw, for example, had been sleeping all day when he died, and when he died, he just looked so peaceful, as if he were asleep. And in that case, I think it's like what Toujours said in that it feels like going to sleep.

In the case of something violent like a murder or an unexpected tragedy like a car accident...well, I honestly can't even imagine. I don't want to imagine that. I'm sure it would come painfully...and I can't imagine the final thoughts of the person. ...What an eerie topic.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
    Years
  • I cant speak from experience(obviously), but I think anything other than falling asleep dying or something of the sort would be very painfull. Like that's legitimately my worst fear. People say cutting your throat, or snapping your neck is quick and painless but your brain and nerves are still active for idk how long until you die :'( . So i'd think it would either be calm or painful.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hey, just popping in to say not to go too off-topic. This is a thread about your opinion on what it feels like to die, not about logic or arguing about how that other person's answer is wrong.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I think if you're asleep, it just feels like you're going into a much deeper sleep( only permantly of course) However if you're awake, I dunno, I wanna think it would be quick, painless and you'd feel at peace, though that isnt always the case of course.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I died in a dream once. It was in a car crash, I knew the car was going out of control (I wasn't driving - Pop was), and I was in the back seat, and I knew I was going to die. I think I checked my handbag or something at that time. Anyway, when it crashed into something, everything blanked out to black suddenly and I couldn't feel anything but I could hear voices, and the voices of memories fading away, without any visions (literal like, sound fading) and just seeing black, then just... nothing. It was strange too because it was the only time I've really seen just black in a dream, as opposed to being asleep.

That's what I think dying is like.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I don't know exactly, but my thinking has always been that it's like going into the deepest sleep ever - and whatever you happen to "dream" about becomes the "afterlife" or "second life" or etc.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Apparently the sensation you get from dying can be a good one. I think it was on House (or a similar show) when one of the patients claims they stuck a fork into a plug socket to 'almost' kill themselves in order to experience the high, which a lot of people do in real life.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    Well, I read a first-hand account of someone very nearly dying in a car crash, and apparently he realised it had gone wrong and there was nothing he could do. He just accepted it. It wasn't scary, and he just had a feeling of regret forgot getting to say goodbye to his kids.

Back