Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates
Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 13th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Cassino
no

Advertise here
I am no longer indignated and possibly injured at the hands of another? I'd be glad since that's the only relevance this person had to my being.
It seems to take an appreciation for the process of life and a sense of objectivity not to be phased by death or hold cultural pretences about it.

Last edited by Cassino; December 14th, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old December 13th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

Nature: Timid
Quote:
If someone harms you it's 100% human to wish bad fate to befall upon them.
I think it's a bit disgusting to ever wish death upon someone though. We may wish bad on someone, but I think it's way too much to just hope someone dies. But suit yourself. I did make this thread to see how everyone else would feel, so it's serving its purpose at least.

Quote:
A pity this is even debate-worthy.
This isn't meant to be a debate, though. It's a discussion. No one has been debating in this thread, that I've seen.

paired to crono
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:24 AM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
I wouldn't think it appropriate to wish death (awfully strong reaction I think) on anybody, bully or not. Just kick his ass instead.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:33 AM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I wouldn't even give one bit of sadness for someone who bullied and just died on a random day. He didn't care about how I felt when that person bullied me, so why would I feel any type of remorse over him, dead or not. If he wasn't gonna stop bullying me or other people then, sorry to say this, but he's better off dead.

Sorry for my post to sound so cold, but that's how I am towards people who bullies other ones.
♥Plusle bro of Autumn Reverie♥ | ♥Pink Mommy, Autumn Reverie, Kanzler, Macarous & Apollo♥
|3DS FC|
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:20 PM
Kanto_Johto
Never glimpse the truth

Nature: Bold
I'm going to be frank. If somebody who had immorally bullied me (and therefore most likely other people too) I would not show an ounce of care for their passing. Sure, their family and friends will be upset, naturally. Doesn't mean I have to be. As far as I'm concerned, that person gained self satisfaction at the expense of others during their time alive. If I'm a victim of that person's cruelty, why should I give a **** if they die?

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't wish death upon them. But if they happened to pass on (as millions do every day) I would not care at all. I can't see why anyone who is a victim (or is related to a victim) of theirs would care.
Arrive without traveling
See all without looking
Do all without doing
Old January 19th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Last year, (2012) there was a bully since 2010 who kept bullying everyone (except his friends ) around. He was transferred to another school and I'm damn happy about it. But if he dies, I...I'm not gonna say: "HAHAHA YAAAAYY!" I'd, be like, :O But I'm not going to care that much, because he was a bully, did bad things and that's why this happened to him. I quite understand why he died.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server

I am gone bye
Old January 19th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

I wouldn't wish death on somebody I hated, but I also wouldn't complain if they were to die. Wishing death on someone who then dies would no doubt lead to baseless guilt, which would only make me feel worse as opposed to better because it'd make me feel as if my wish was the deciding blow.

That being said, there's no actual harm in wishing for the death of a bully. It makes you feel better (if it didn't, you wouldn't wish it) and the bully wouldn't care because to them it's just words from a lesser being. Actually acting on it and killing the bully would be a big problem, though.
Old January 19th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Nature: Impish
Sorry, I'm not one of those "loner" emo kids who cuts himself while wishing death on people who dislike him. Why do that and let the bully win when instead you could stand up to him instead, showing him that you have the confidence to fight back? Wishing death on anyone, except for people who are genuinely atrocious (people such as Hitler, bin Laden, etc.), is overkill (no pun intended).

Just think of this: Wishing death on bullies is the kind of train of thought that causes school shootings.
FC: 2148-8142-2372

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old January 19th, 2013, 07:38 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiemanFiddy View Post
Good. It's not dishonorable to think ill of the dead if they punished you to begin with. Giving them remorse is like giving beer to a drunk. It's a recurring problem, and had she lived, she would've continued bullying your sister.
This, pretty much. Being dead does not suddenly absolve you from all the wrongs you committed. Pretending to care about someone's death when you don't is pointless. Be tasteful: don't go out of your way to talk poorly of the deceased, but you're under no obligation to speak well of them, either.
Doctors Without Borders: one of the few charity groups you can rely on to actually do real good in the world.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
Your bully died. Why should that mean we should celebrate? If he or she did something horrible to me, I'd still mourn over their death. I'd forgive them. I'd forget the past we had.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:20 AM
twocows
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laugh View Post
Your bully died. Why should that mean we should celebrate? If he or she did something horrible to me, I'd still mourn over their death. I'd forgive them. I'd forget the past we had.
So I imagine you mourned the sudden, tragic death of Osama Bin Laden?
Doctors Without Borders: one of the few charity groups you can rely on to actually do real good in the world.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:03 AM
outfox
in

Send a message via Skype™ to outfox
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocows View Post
So I imagine you mourned the sudden, tragic death of Osama Bin Laden?
Osama Bin Laden =/= someone who committed indecent behavior toward you a few times in their life. I think it's perfectly fine to mourn over the death of a fellow human being regardless of their actions; after all, they may not have been given the chance to learn from their actions and change. There are too many different factors to consider to give a straight answer on what one is expected to feel, but anyone experiencing bullying prior to their bully's death has every right to feel whatever they feel.

Last edited by outfox; January 20th, 2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: weird wording
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:09 AM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
I can only say that if you're good and kind to people, then your enemies/bullies would have to be the meanest persons ever; because they would have no reason to hate you, so I guess you won't feel very sorry for them if they died.

You might feel sorry for their parents though.
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:31 PM
François
#FutureHoennRemakesMod
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyem View Post
Sorry, I'm not one of those "loner" emo kids who cuts himself while wishing death on people who dislike him. Why do that and let the bully win when instead you could stand up to him instead, showing him that you have the confidence to fight back? Wishing death on anyone, except for people who are genuinely atrocious (people such as Hitler, bin Laden, etc.), is overkill (no pun intended).

Just think of this: Wishing death on bullies is the kind of train of thought that causes school shootings.
This is a terribly insensitive point. I'm obviously no advocate of self-harm or indeed wishing death on your bullies, but just because you are supposedly strong enough to fight anyone who dared bully you doesn't mean everyone is. If you try to "stand up" to someone twice your size (and possibly with a gang of people equally large backing them up), you're an idiot.

But as for the topic at hand, I don't think there's a problem with any feeling towards a death, really. Despite being quite a heartless person on occasion, I don't believe I'd be happy about the death of much anyone. That said, I've seen terrible bullying and find it perfectly understandable for someone at the receiving end of that to not care (or even be relieved by) the death of the person who inflicted that upon them. A death is always a waste, yes, and one would generally feel bad for the relatives of the one who died (although I wonder how one would react if they found the relatives equally contemptuous?), but I wouldn't judge someone who was happy about the death of a person who negatively impacted their life, no.

And to the people who've said they wouldn't be pleased - if any of you were being bullied to the extent where you genuinely feared for your wellbeing (or even your life), how would you react to the death of the person making you fear for it? I realise that's very similar to the main question but I find taking it to the extreme is generally a good way to test if people are flexible at all. Personally I'd be hugely relieved, and I've no shame in admitting to that.
Old January 20th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonygooseD View Post
I can only say that if you're good and kind to people, then your enemies/bullies would have to be the meanest persons ever; because they would have no reason to hate you, so I guess you won't feel very sorry for them if they died.

You might feel sorry for their parents though.
Right, so if you're really nice, then those who bully you are worse than even Hitler? No. Just no.

PM me if you add me.

Old January 20th, 2013, 01:31 PM
twocows
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfox View Post
Osama Bin Laden =/= someone who committed indecent behavior toward you a few times in their life.
You missed the point entirely. The point is that death does not make someone a saint and you should not be expected to forgive all of their wrongs simply because they're dead. Sometimes bad people die. It doesn't make them not bad people. I won't go out of my way to speak ill of the dead, but I won't lie about my thoughts if questioned and I won't feel bad for maintaining a poor opinion of that person.

Quote:
I think it's perfectly fine to mourn over the death of a fellow human being regardless of their actions; after all, they may not have been given the chance to learn from their actions and change. There are too many different factors to consider to give a straight answer on what one is expected to feel, but anyone experiencing bullying prior to their bully's death has every right to feel whatever they feel.
Bin Laden was a human, too. Not a very good one, but he still was.

Quote:

Quote:

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old January 20th, 2013, 01:46 PM
outfox
in

Send a message via Skype™ to outfox
Quote:
You missed the point entirely. The point is that death does not make someone a saint and you should not be expected to forgive all of their wrongs simply because they're dead. Sometimes, bad people die. It doesn't make them not bad people. I won't go out of my way to speak ill of the dead, but I won't lie about my thoughts if questioned and I won't feel bad for maintaining a poor opinion of that person.

Bin Laden was a human, too. Not a very good one, but he still was.
I feel you, I understood. I only meant that a childhood bully is most likely less menacing than him, thus easier to forgive. If that makes sense. I never meant to exclude Bin Laden from being human, I should have made that more clear. I maintain my view that you have just as much of a right to feel that way and express it as someone else has a right to not harbor a grudge, even grieve if they feel like it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:33 PM
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Quote:
You missed the point entirely. The point is that death does not make someone a saint and you should not be expected to forgive all of their wrongs simply because they're dead. Sometimes bad people die. It doesn't make them not bad people. I won't go out of my way to speak ill of the dead, but I won't lie about my thoughts if questioned and I won't feel bad for maintaining a poor opinion of that person.
You know, there are varying degrees of bad that a person can be, right? So according to your response, a bully is just as bad as Osama bin Laden.

Interesting.

PM me if you add me.

Old January 21st, 2013, 06:30 PM
twocows
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyem View Post
You know, there are varying degrees of bad that a person can be, right? So according to your response, a bully is just as bad as Osama bin Laden.

Interesting.
I have to wonder if you even read what you quoted, since I could pretty much copy it verbatim as a response to what you just said.

Quote:

Quote:

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:30 PM
Whistler
Questioner

Nature: Gentle
Well, if a bully of mine died, I'd feel sad for her if she never repented or anything. She may get a harsh afterlife judgement in that case... :/

I'd also feel bad for the bully's family, although I would feel relieved that I don't have to worry about a bully hurting my spirit. ;D

Last edited by Whistler; January 21st, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:56 AM
Yoshikkko

Quote:
This, pretty much. Being dead does not suddenly absolve you from all the wrongs you committed. Pretending to care about someone's death when you don't is pointless. Be tasteful: don't go out of your way to talk poorly of the deceased, but you're under no obligation to speak well of them, either.
Agreed, and also, I would have mixed feelings if something like that happened, obviously I wouldn't celebrate their death because I don't think anyone deserves it, and I would sympathize with their family and friends, but I wouldn't be surprised either when I would catch myself feeling a hint of relief/satisfaction or whatever you want to call it, even though I would probably feel really bad about it.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:54 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Someone who was a real jerk to me in middle school died before he graduated high school. I honestly don't think I cared that much. And it's not that I really hated the guy and wished him dead. Yeah, he was a real jerk, but he didn't bother me as much in high school, so I just didn't pay him any more mind. Then when he died, I was just "wow, he died? Pity for him, I guess."
CarcharOdin gets high on life to forget about drugs.
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Toutebelle
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I wouldn't think it would be a good thing to feel happy about someone you know dying, even if they were a jerk

If it was a genuinely horrible person, such as a killer, I could understand being happy. A typical school bully is a far cry from a truly wicked person such as a neo-Nazi or a member of the Taliban. But still, it's wrong to laugh at people dying, even if they really deserve it.
Old February 10th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
A typical bully can range from your everyday tease to someone who goes out of their way to severely harm someone on a constant basis. I don't think anyone should ever wish death upon someone unless that person is someone like Hitler or Osama Bin Laden or even a free walking serial killer. Someone like a bully though? I think wishing death upon them is going too far. It's this train of thought that can at times lead to school shootings or students bringing weapons to school.

However, by no means should someone feel like they have to mourn over this person's death or are obligated to do so. If all the deceased ever did was bully someone and make them feel like their life isn't worth living, then that someone has the right to feel however they want to feel. I'm not saying they should go around parading the hallways publicly cheering "Hooray!" over this person's death, but they don't need to feel sorry for them either.

If it were me, I'd probably feel very indifferent over the situation. I wouldn't be terribly sad about it as that means I no longer have someone bullying me everyday, but I'm not going to feel typically overjoyed either, because it's still someone's life and I'm still human enough to care even a little.
Old February 10th, 2013, 01:17 PM
KriegStein
Nuclear Reactor

Nature: Lonely
Lets see. If a person who bullied me would die
Of course I cant say I would mourn deeply but I could feel sorry for his/her relatives and friends. I think that when people die their family/friends usualy have a much more positive aproach on the person. I mean that people often remember the good rather than the bad. Which is fine by me. But I think a person should be rememberred of what he/she was and for their deeds. Not for something they were not. And as for the Osama thing...bah...people die everyday, one persons death is newer such a spectacle that should be celebrated. No. Every death should be accepted as is. Without nation wide celebrations. It is human nature to be happy when a hated person dies...but that doesnt mean it is still right either. I am not taking a stand on the question did he deserve it. I just express how I think.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here