Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Twilight-kun
Pokemon World Champion 2014-15

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to Twilight-kun Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Twilight-kun Send a message via Yahoo to Twilight-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Twilight-kun

Advertise here
The Legendary pokemon's names make my eyes bleed...
/
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:40 PM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
I like the name, also the legendaries match the names of the game which indicates to me that they will play a large part of the game. I like the names, I like froakie's name the best!
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:24 AM
Urugamosu
Smiles are free, you know~
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Chespins name is actually really creative. I don't mind the other too as well. Xerneas and Yvetal are a mouthful to say, but are fine too.

Adventures, are sometimes even the simplest things.
ProfileYouTubeRedditPokeCommunityBlog
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:36 AM
Mujahid
Sir Froakie is impressed.

Nature: Quiet
They're already English names. Mind you, they were first revealed on the English Pokemon Site. No point of changing.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:04 PM
Dragonika
Isshu Region Champion

Nature: Relaxed
Hey guys not posted in a while,

So I was wondering the names of the starters and both the legendarys for the 6th GEN we know so far I really think they sound awesome and original does anybody else feel like this gen is going to be the return of awesome and original names which we missed since GEN 3 :D

https://www.facebook.com/ThePokemonTradeCenter
Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:28 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonika View Post
Hey guys not posted in a while,

So I was wondering the names of the starters and both the legendarys for the 6th GEN we know so far I really think they sound awesome and original does anybody else feel like this gen is going to be the return of awesome and original names which we missed since GEN 3 :D
I don't quite understand by what you mean by "Original" names. All Pokemon in every Generation have had Original names. There wasn't much that isn't very original outside of a few generic clones such as the Regional Birds, Regional Rats, and Pikachu clones.
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:34 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I like the starter's names, they are pleasant to say and hear.
Old February 5th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
I like the starter's names, they are pleasant to say and hear.
All of them except Fennekin imo. Fennekin just seems so... long? Fenkin would be muuuch shorter and suit Froakie/Chespin better in terms of how it's said imo. Plus it'd sound closer to Tepig then :(
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
All of them except Fennekin imo. Fennekin just seems so... long? Fenkin would be muuuch shorter and suit Froakie/Chespin better in terms of how it's said imo. Plus it'd sound closer to Tepig then :(
Hm... Fenkin... instead of Fennekin would've been shorter, but I think the name "Fennekin" sounds better in my opinion. 'Cause you get to say "Fennec" as in "Fennec Fox" and then "Kindle". Where as if it was shortened to "Fenkin"... you wouldn't be able to say "Fennec" due to it being shorter. Either way, if it wasn't named "Fennekin", then it would've ended up being something like "Fenkindle". xD

And besides, I like the name "Fennekin". x3

Hm... let's see, Tepig... was a combination of Tepid and Pig, which explains why the name is short. ;)
[Platinum Lucario's Signature]
Researching the NDS ROMs...

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Hoenn
Elite
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
I think Fennekin is a nice name, it has the same amount of Syllables as Oshawott, Cyndaquil and Charmander.
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Pichu02
Pichu of Power

Nature: Bashful
I like the name Chespin a lot. I think it really matches Chespin's figure. Fennekin also sounds good. I think Froakie is my least favorite name. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just think it could be better. By the way, how do you pronounce Xerneas and Yvetal?
Old February 5th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichu02 View Post
I like the name Chespin a lot. I think it really matches Chespin's figure. Fennekin also sounds good. I think Froakie is my least favorite name. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just think it could be better. By the way, how do you pronounce Xerneas and Yvetal?
Xerneas would be pronounced as "ZURR-nee-us" and Yveltal would be "ee-VELL-tall." It took me a little time to catch on to them, but I got adjusted to their names in good time.

I think each of the starters have names that roll off the tongue quite easily. It just feels natural saying them aloud. I hope the same will apply for a majority of the Gen VI Pokémon. It makes them easier to remember. Some of the Gen V Pokémon have such odd names, I still haven't memorized them all.

Last edited by Guy; February 5th, 2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
Hm... Fenkin... instead of Fennekin would've been shorter, but I think the name "Fennekin" sounds better in my opinion. 'Cause you get to say "Fennec" as in "Fennec Fox" and then "Kindle". Where as if it was shortened to "Fenkin"... you wouldn't be able to say "Fennec" due to it being shorter. Either way, if it wasn't named "Fennekin", then it would've ended up being something like "Fenkindle". xD

And besides, I like the name "Fennekin". x3

Hm... let's see, Tepig... was a combination of Tepid and Pig, which explains why the name is short. ;)
I get why it's Fennekin buuut still it's long. :( It could've been something like "Kinfen" and that would've fit entirely!
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
I get why it's Fennekin buuut still it's long. :( It could've been something like "Kinfen" and that would've fit entirely!
When there are Pokémon around with names like Hippopotas and Alomomola, it's really hard to agree when someone says Fennekin is too long of a name. Haha. And it may be longer than "Kinfen" or "Fenkin" but it rolls off the tongue easier than those alternatives in my opinion.

Besides you can't complain that Fennekin's name is too long when Charmander and Chikorita's names are longer; the latter of which has more syllables.
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Forever
let it go

I guess, but they just seem to fit better. :x It's just something about the double n, and starting with F that throws me off really. Yet on the other hand I'm completely okay with Yveltal and Xerneas. I'm weird.
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
To be honest, it at first struck me as odd. I had a bit of a reflection to 5th generation and how the names of the starters were revealed: Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott. It took me a while to adjust to those names, so I think this situation isn't really that different. It's just a matter of taking some time to step back and just getting used to those names, as strange as that may sound, perhaps. I wouldn't want their names to be any different since I'm already used to them at this point.

Maybe pronouncing them is weird...at least for me. Whatever. XD

As for Xerneas and Yveltal, it's the same situation, except it took me a bit longer to adjust(as well as pronounce their names correctly), cause of the spelling, but I don't really care now, to be honest.

In short, none of the names really bother me now. Just like every generation, at first it's a bit of shock and a moment of adjustment, but afterwards it's fine~!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here