The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Hm, it's certainly hard to judge from it's appearance.. it could be Flying, Normal, Dragon, Bug, it's exciting though!

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:20 AM
WishCookie
ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!

Nature: Jolly
I think its either a flying or a dragon even tho it sure doesnt look like a dragon-type but both are weak against electricity. It could also be both, a flying/dragon type.

Diamond: 3782 4821 8857
HeartGold: 3740 9024 2026
Black: 3181 8256 6904
Black 2: 4599 8904 2318

Y: 1993 8202 9620

Last edited by WishCookie; February 18th, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishCookie View Post
I think its either a flying or a dragon even tho it sure doesnt look like a dragon-type but both are weak to electricity. It could also be both, a flying/dragon type.
Electric type moves aren't very effective against Dragon types, and they're only neutral when it's a Dragon/Flying. Being an Eeveelution, I would say it's almost safe to assume Sylveon will be one pure type unless GameFreak really wanted to pull one from underneath us, which in this case I doubt.
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Amateur Conductor

Hm.

Here would be the possibilities:
Fighting, Flying, Bug, Rock, Ghost, Dragon, and Steel. I suppose it could also be a normal type. Of course, this is assuming they don't redo one of the eeveelution types.

The ones that actually look like they could fit:
Flying, Ghost(?), Dragon, Normal

My guess, Normal. What do you guys think?

Also did anyone else notice the cards attack? I thought it was pretty neat.
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Sadly, I think it's also going to be normal type, which would be a massive disappointment. I don't really see it being much else... it's hard to imagine it as flying or anything.
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
I guess it can be a little weird for it to be a flying type. I mean, it's on the ground on all fours - how exactly would it dodge moves like Earhquake? Maybe it could it float?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:34 AM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Nature: Adamant
Sylveon is definitely a bug-type, possible a bug/flying, but at least a bug type!

"The Clipper (Parthenos sylvia) is a species of nymphalid butterfly found in South and South-East Asia, mostly in forested areas. The Clipper is a fast flying butterfly and has a habit of flying with its wings flapping stiffly between the horizontal position and a few degrees below the horizontal. It may glide between spurts of flapping."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenos_sylvia

Retrodex Sprites
|D&D Forum|??? (coming soon)
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:39 AM
François
#FutureHoennRemakesMod
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I still wouldn't say that's a definite for being a bug, though it admittedly makes it more likely. I'd say it's between Bug and Flying now.

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:42 AM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
I just had a thought... (and someone has probably mentioned this, but oh well) what if sylveon was a poison type? Now I agree it doesn't really look like one, BUT say it were based on perfume/a sweet but deadly type of thing? There really isn't anything to define what makes a pokemon a poison type, other than it being venomous, (And I would say that bulbasaur doesn't look like a poison type to me) I know most poison types are green purple or blue, but there are exceptions and if we're playing off the beautiful but deadly motif, it could work!
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Aren't Bug types suppose to have appearances of insects, arachnids, and crustacians? Syleon is a mammal, so Bug should be crossed off (not to mention being formerly physical-based prior to Gen IV instead of special-based).
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:00 AM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Aren't Bug types suppose to have appearances of insects, arachnids, and crustacians? Syleon is a mammal, so Bug should be crossed off (not to mention being formerly physical-based prior to Gen IV instead of special-based).
Well it's moreso that it has an elemental affinity toward butterflies and insects, rather than being one in completeness. Like Leafeon is not a plant, but has an affinity for plants. Additionally, Vaporeon is not a fish, it is a mammal; it has a feline/fox face accompanied by four limbs. The concepts of Slyveon follows suit. It has butterfly bows and "feelers" (alluding to the German name Feelinara), and remains to be a mammal.

Retrodex Sprites
|D&D Forum|??? (coming soon)
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolurkIsDaBomb View Post
I just had a thought... (and someone has probably mentioned this, but oh well) what if sylveon was a poison type? Now I agree it doesn't really look like one, BUT say it were based on perfume/a sweet but deadly type of thing? There really isn't anything to define what makes a pokemon a poison type, other than it being venomous, (And I would say that bulbasaur doesn't look like a poison type to me) I know most poison types are green purple or blue, but there are exceptions and if we're playing off the beautiful but deadly motif, it could work!
One could argue also the colorful feelers being a warning to how poisonous it is, and the fact that it has visible fangs not only for the movie art but for its plushies.
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:19 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
If it's poison than this is the best camouflage ever, hiding it's deadliness with it's very cute, fluffy look...

ORAS have been confirmed Remakes by Nintendo, they aren't Sequels so let go of that idea people.
Old February 18th, 2013, 12:07 PM
brica8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
I guess it can be a little weird for it to be a flying type. I mean, it's on the ground on all fours - how exactly would it dodge moves like Earhquake? Maybe it could it float?
It may simply be able to run in the air as reindeers are depicted to do. In regards to speculating it's a bug type, it seems more like feather light streamers on it, not feelers. Along with this, eeveelutions always have some some aspect to their form that relates to the typing, and the streamers flowing in the wind support flying type. I would imagine it being given a pair of antennae for bug type and scales or fangs for a dragon type.

Also, all eeveelutions so far have been the colour of their typing (the exception being leafeon, but green is still a big part of it's colour scheme), pointing towards, eliminating both bug and dragon and supporting either normal or flying. Personally I see it being white to represent clouds and having sky blue as an accent colour which is pretty self explanitory. The only colour that doesn't quite fit is pink, but that may simply been added to make it cuter.

Both it's name and size/weight would support it being either flying or bug, but given that everything mentioned above supports it being a flying type, I'd go with that.

And in regards to the eeveelution chart listed above, weaknesses and resistances are unbalanced, as some have 2 weaknesses, some no weaknesses, and some being super effective against 2 or none. With that, I wouldn't take the chart into account.

EDIT: Depending on which type chart you look at, dragon's colours can be both blue and pink, so I guess the colour scheme could be be similar to Lefeon's style and it could be a dragon type. However, I don't really see any other reasons for it to be a dragon type.
Old February 18th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
I think Bug is likely because it has large eyes and the eyes are very developed in most bugs.

I don't think it will be Flying. All of the current Flying-type Pokémon have appendages which are developed for flight, except for Gyarados, which is Flying-type because of the legend of the carp. Even a few bizarre Flying-type Pokémon like Mantine and Tropius have appendages which they utilize to fly or glide.

Sylveon? Doesn't look like it. Those ribbons don't look like they can keep it above the ground. To be able to fly, it needs to at least be able to take off. It can't flap its ribbons as if they were wings, so the most it could do is glide if it's carried by the wind, but that's not enough to classify it as a Flying-type. There are several winged Pokémon which aren't Flying-type (mostly Bugs such as Beedrill, Venomoth and Volcarona), so why would something which doesn't even have wings and doesn't look capable of flight be able to fly?

I also don't think it will be a Normal-type. The whole point of Eevee evolution is to adapt to its surroundings. A Normal-type eeveelution would just be a bigger Eevee. The changes in Sylveon are too drastic for it to keep its Normal-type. The only way it could be Normal-type is if it was like Arceus and had an ability like Multitype, to stay true to the lore of the Pokémon.

Therefore my current vote is Bug-type.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old February 18th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I don't think it's very effective to say it's "definitely" a certain type because of its name. I could argue that it's a flying type because the name sounds like a sylph (an air spirit that's usually female) or a nymph (a female nature spirit that could be associated with the air). So I don't think we should be basing anything off the names just yet.

I can't think of anything it could really be, though. It doesn't really look like it was made to be a specific type, with all the other eeveelutions have features or designs where we can clearly see their types by looking at them. Vaporeon's fins, Jolteon's coloration and spikes, Espeon's gem, etc. The only think that Sylveon really looks like to me is normal, which would be really disappointing. Honestly I was hoping for an eeveelution that looked more like its type, ex. a flying type with wings or one more insectlike. I guess it could be a dragon but it just seems really.. graceful, which idk is not how I think of dragon types as.
Old February 18th, 2013, 02:32 PM
jellotime91

I believe Sylveon is either Normal, or Flying, but if it is Flying type it will certainly be "Normal / Flying" anyway.

Dragon is also a possibility, but I doubt it. I think the way the ribbons flow in the wind suggests that it is a flying type.

If it's normal type, I definitely wouldn't use it, but if it's flying type I would have it replace my usual bird (unless it can't learn fly, in that case screw it altogether.)
Old February 18th, 2013, 03:04 PM
WishCookie
ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
Electric type moves aren't very effective against Dragon types, and they're only neutral when it's a Dragon/Flying. Being an Eeveelution, I would say it's almost safe to assume Sylveon will be one pure type unless GameFreak really wanted to pull one from underneath us, which in this case I doubt.
Ooooohhh, right sorry. I forgot about that, I thought dragon-type pokemon counted as flying cause some of them got wings and everything but then like you said, if they have wings they're dragon/flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
Well, have you seen Shaymin's flying form? Its on the ground with its all four but its ears makes it being able to fly. The same would probably go for Sylveon's bows since they will probably be able to somehow make Sylveon being able to fly or its just a dragon-type, who knows.

Diamond: 3782 4821 8857
HeartGold: 3740 9024 2026
Black: 3181 8256 6904
Black 2: 4599 8904 2318

Y: 1993 8202 9620

Last edited by WishCookie; February 18th, 2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 18th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
At a first glance, I wouldn't class Sylveon as a Bug type but then again... Pokemon can look completely different to their typing, just because a Pokemon is Red doesn't make it a Fire type.. Right?

Old February 18th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
Sylveon is definitely a bug-type, possible a bug/flying, but at least a bug type!

"The Clipper (Parthenos sylvia) is a species of nymphalid butterfly found in South and South-East Asia, mostly in forested areas. The Clipper is a fast flying butterfly and has a habit of flying with its wings flapping stiffly between the horizontal position and a few degrees below the horizontal. It may glide between spurts of flapping."

Well, okay but... while it's true that "nymph" is a term used in entomology, that term itself is also adopted from the beings in Greek mythology: nymphs were like, lesser female nature deities. Sometimes, that term is used to refer to maidens or beautiful young women--all of which can explain Sylveon's feminine-like appearance. I dunn, it's just, out of all the possible uses of "nymph," the entomological term strikes me as the least likely that is being invoked here. I think we can have a feminine mystical being on our hands--which this ties together pretty much all of its different names in different languages.

Eh, that still leaves its type pretty hard to determine, imo.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old February 18th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
That does bring up the idea of legendaries being inspired from Greek Mythology though, Shawn! @__@ That'd be so amazing. I'd say something like Thor would be awesome, but that's Thundurus I think, haha.

Honestly, I think GF is really trolling us big-time about the type and it'll be something we all knew the whole time, or maybe there's really some deeper purpose behind Sylveon other than just the type. I remember a friend of mine telling me that the point of Sylveon isn't the typing, it's to establish communication between people, because "Nin" means person in Japanese. XD

I feel that I brought this up in another post, but I don't exactly remember. Whoops.

Though I want to know the deeper meanings in these games, because I feel that there's really more than what we're seeing, y'know? Like GF is kind of doing a drastic change in Pokemon games. I realize what I've said earlier about GF keeping the tradition and these games not really being the exception to that but....I feel that these games would be really interesting in that regard, that I feel that the company would break off from "tradition" a bit, especially since it's going to be on a 3DS, and try on a bunch of things and see if it'd work out for the fans~!

But yeah, that's my two cents. n_n;
Old February 18th, 2013, 04:52 PM
AmericanWonderland
Sassmaster

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to AmericanWonderland
Personally, I believe that Sylveon is either a bug type or a normal type. I'm leaning towards bug though. I also heard a very ridiculous rumor that it was a new type called light, which would be interesting, but really don't think that's a possibility in any way.

White 2 Friend Code= 3010 6901 0098
Old February 19th, 2013, 02:21 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
At a first glance, I wouldn't class Sylveon as a Bug type but then again... Pokemon can look completely different to their typing, just because a Pokemon is Red doesn't make it a Fire type.. Right?
But for Eeveelutions in specific every Pokemon has looked like its typing. To break that pattern now would be a little unusual when it's been going on for so many generations/evolutions in said line already.
Old February 19th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post

At first I was thinking about Fighting-type, but when I saw this... that sounded very close to it's name (which I thought it was something like "silvia"), especially to how it's bows are shaped. So now it's starting to make me think that it's a Bug-type.

But y'know what I find strange? Every Bug-type Pokémon design that I've seen is based off either an insect, arachnid, crustacean or arthropod. If Sylveon was to be a Bug-type... it would break the cycle of all Bug-type Pokémon being based off insects, arachnids, crustaceans or arthropods. But again... it doesn't seem likely that Game Freak would develop a Pokémon to be a Bug-type when it doesn't appear like an Insect or something similar in any way.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
But for Eeveelutions in specific every Pokemon has looked like its typing. To break that pattern now would be a little unusual when it's been going on for so many generations/evolutions in said line already.
This soooo much!

Of course, we already know that even by -looking- at Sylveon, there's not really much we can get, it's bodily features don't really reveal anything, and each and every eeveelution's colors usually match its typing. What's unusual here is that we have an eeveelution in which we can't necessarily find exactly what typing it is, because it's colors don't necessary fit a specific type. The closest thing it could possibly come to is either Normal or Flying, because Normal Pokemon don't have any distinct features about them, and Flying Pokemon more or less based on the type/weaknesses image that was posted either here or in the X/Y Discussion some time ago. XD

//wall of text

So far I'm leaning most towards Normal out of everything else. I mean, now looking at it, I want you guys to take a look at Serebii's B/W Pokedex, and go on "search by type" and click normal, and you'd find the results pretty surprising.

Now answer this question after you've looked at that list: How many normal types are Pink and White(or even just pink), and look similar in coloring to Sylveon here?

It has to be at least part Normal, if anything else.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links