The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 6th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Cooltrainer Ashley Rose
Booted out - don't be like me!

Location: Don't die. You might get AFTERLIFE>...<3 Ashley Rose Kristiine.
Nature: Careful

Advertise here
How do you feel when people copy your posts? I've seen it done before.
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
As in, word-for-word copy-and-paste? Never had it happen on a forum, but some people tried to take credit for one of my posts that got really popular on Tumblr and it bothered the crap out of me because I wanted to bask in the glory of my success.
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Archenoth
The arch foe

Nature: Lonely
As in, word-for-word copy-and-paste? Never had it happen on a forum, but some people tried to take credit for one of my posts that got really popular on Tumblr and it bothered the crap out of me because I wanted to bask in the glory of my success.

Spoiler:
Oh come on! This thread was asking for it..!

But really, I find it kind of flattering. So I don't mind it that much, though I do rather it when credit is given.
Old May 7th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I have only had in done once on my friend's forum. It is okay to me if you copy and paste my posts. if you give me credit that is a bonus to me.
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Broken_Arrow
Paper plane~

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Broken_Arrow
it doesn't matter for me...i actually wouldn't notice anyway tbh lol

Old May 8th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

I am always enraged.

I am proud of my work and things I say and when some copycat does that trying to hitch a ride on my hard work, I'll hate him.

Seriously, don't use my stuff! Argh.
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:16 PM
ANARCHit3cht

I have never had it happen. It certainly wouldn't bother me, as someone who would do such a thing is beneath me. I don't really understand why people would try something like that... or at least, how they think they could get away with it. If they could copy it, that means it came from somewhere else and has a designated time that'd be before the copy. If anyone was really vested in in proving their falsehood.. it wouldn't take much effort.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Having someone copy my post word for word might be a little annoying, especially if they pass it off as their own original thoughts, but I don't think I'd make a big deal about it. Sure, if I don't get credited or anything (especially if a lot of time and effort went into it) it could get under my skin, but as long as there isn't some reward or something, I'll probably forget about it a few minutes later.
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

I think that's never happened before but I might have a problem with someone stealing what I wrote and using it for themselves. I think it would be kinda rude. People should post their own opinions, not copy others. If they agree with my opinion, they can give me a post comment or use the like button, they exist for a reason.
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Cadance
& Shining Armour

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Cadance
I've seen it done lots of time, mostly when I was on staff. Some of the new members back then copying some of the welcomes I've done, as well as other members had done, just so they could boost up their 15 post count. Had to crack down on that.

But today, not so much. But if they did I'd beat him kindly tell them to stop.
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:45 PM
fenyx4
X does Y WITH AUTHORITY!

Nature: Timid
Wouldn't people posting in this thread who have been quoted elsewhere before have had their posts "copied", technically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganium90 View Post
I've seen it done lots of time, mostly when I was on staff. Some of the new members back then copying some of the welcomes I've done, as well as other members had done, just so they could boost up their 15 post count. Had to crack down on that.

But today, not so much. But if they did I'd beat him kindly tell them to stop.
ooh lookie, I totally just copied Meganium90's post!

Sheesh, is/was it really that hard to post 15 measly thought-out posts..? :/ It's not that hard to welcome people; why would you have to resort to copy-and-paste the welcomes of others?

Anyway, I would have a problem with this issue if someone were to knowingly pass off one of my posts as his/her own work, especially if it was for a forum contest or something... Also, a lot of my posts, due to often being walls of text, tend to have a lot of time/effort invested in them, so someone copying them without regard to the origin would probably irritate me more.. Posts that are copied intentionally with credit actually being given to the original poster can be nice, though.

On the off chance that someone is copying my posts to use as some type of quick reference later (i.e., they want to look up a quote I wrote from a TV show or something, or they want to watch a video I linked to at a later time), I don't really have a problem with that practice.

Last edited by fenyx4; May 9th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Mr. Downstairs
Community Supporter

I've never seen anyone copy my post, and I probably wouldn't really care all that much if I did.
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:44 PM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
I don't think that's ever happened to me , but if it did , I'd be pretty annoyed. You should be able to share your own thoughts or opinion on something and not just copy others. You can have a similar opinion or agree with a person's opinion, but don't just copy what they said word from word. If you quote it and give me credit for saying it, then I'd be fine with it.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here