The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Which one is better
Main Storyline 10 58.82%
Spin Off games 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 28th, 2013, 12:21 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious

Advertise here
Which series of games have better storylines? Main or the Spinoffs. Even though its the same type of storyline which pulls it off better? If you like the spin offs better which spin off do you prefer?

Example: I am play Mystery Dungeon : Gates to infinity. There was a plot twist that I actually didnt see coming and was like Wtf?
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Recluse
The Harbinger of Solitude
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Spin-offs definitely. No other Pokemon game but Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky melted my heart and made me cry for the first time in years.
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter

(why are there 26 guests on this thread?)

I'd say that the spin-off's usually have the better story as they have more room to innovate rather than sticking to the formula like GF does with the main series.

Also, when they attempted a more story driven narrative in B/W, I felt it fell flat on it's face.
Old May 28th, 2013, 01:42 PM
zdude18
Lone Wolf

Nature: Relaxed
i thought generations 3-5 had unique stories in the main story lines
White 2: 3397 3474 0556
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:40 PM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to antemortem
The spin-offs tend to have a better, more gripping storyline (see: Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia) than the main series games, bar Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. I like a more story-driven plot so I'm automatically biased towards the games with a storyline that overcomes the amount of gameplay, not to say that the Ranger games lacked gameplay, of course; it's just that the story would have made up for a lack of gameplay if it been that way.
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:22 PM
lmcde22

The main games had better story and gameplay, taht's why they sell better. Pokemon Red and Blue are the best selling RPG games of all time so that pretty much tells you all you need to know.
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:20 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcde22 View Post
The main games had better story and gameplay, taht's why they sell better. Pokemon Red and Blue are the best selling RPG games of all time so that pretty much tells you all you need to know.
This is personal opinions than anything else. The Spin off games game much later and of course people are going to buy new Gen games because people are interested to see what they look like.
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Limerent
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcde22 View Post
I have to disagree, sales figures don't equal a superior storyline. Red and Blue started off the Pokemon craze, that's why they sold the most, People wanted to try out this exciting new game that was being hyped everywhere, not necessarily because they anticipated the storyline, maybe because all their friends had the game or they were eager for the mechanics or the Pocket Monsters themselves. Those games obviously needed a basic, satisfactory storyline to please players but perhaps there were other reasons for the sales figures exploding

But anyway, I'd have to say I like the spinoff titles more in terms of storyline. Main games stick to a familiar formula: Start in small town, choose a starter, get a Pokedex, go vs Gyms, fight evil team, catch some legendaries, beat E4 and become Champion.That's the story. Which may have been fresh and exciting for Red and Blue to make them sell highly, but GameFreak trying to reuse that basic plot in every main game title became stale for some people I guess.

Spinoffs bring a completely new perspective to the Poke Universe, like actually playing as a Pokemon in Mystery Dungeon titles! Or whatever Ranger games do with not owning Pokemon and using wild ones to help you. Not to mention Pokemon Conquest, which looks like nothing I've seen before. So that's why my vote goes to Spinoffs, they aren't afraid of doing something a little different. Main series games are still great of course.
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:37 AM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
I prefer to remain Human in Pokemon games so I like Main games very much where competing for the league and winning the gym badges greatly satisfy my thirst for an RPG
Old June 5th, 2013, 12:33 PM
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus

I would honestly vote for Spinoff games more if not for the fact that the AI in Mystery Dungeon was so awful.

Without regrets; I feel like I speak for everyone when I say Mystery Dungeon would be 10x better if they cut back on the story and gave the AI the ability to actually fight back.
Old June 5th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

From personal experience I'd vote for main series games. But that's just because the only spin-offs i've played are Pokémon Ranger and Battle Revolution. Although Ranger was interesting, I prefer the general storyline of other main series games. I particularly liked the story of HeartGold / SoulSilver - where you actually go to another region and beat their gyms, as well as battling a previous Champion. And in BW they upped the evil team storyline to another level, and I've got to be honest N is tragic. If he is Ghetsis' son, that makes Ghetsis the most purely evil character yet, too.
Although I can see how people would feel let down by the storylines of RSEDPPt, but Cyrus did at least have some sort of motivation.

Ranger's plot on the other hand was almost comical - "I'll capture all the pokémon using my Super Styler!". I mean, nobody thought of just illegally importing PokéBalls?
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Snowdrop
Throw a blanket over it!

Nature: Jolly
Spin-off games, definitely. The main series games all resemble each other with predictable and outlandish plots. A minor exception is B/W, which kinda tried to be different and also kinda failed :p I don't think the spin-offs necessarily have great storylines, but I do prefer those plots to the main game plots. The first two Mystery Dungeons have pretty good plots in my opinion, they're pretty much the only Pokemon title I'd play more for the story. But I'd say Pokemon is definitely more gameplay-oriented than story-oriented.
Old June 6th, 2013, 01:11 AM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
I did really like the Mystery Dungeon series, but I enjoy the main story more.
The overall story was more innovative and compelling in the Mystery Dungeon.. I definitely felt more involved.
But the main series Pokemon manages to keep a minimal story-line and still make it entertaining.
Old June 6th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
My vote goes to the spin-offs too. I really liked the stories for the Mystery Dungeon games and Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, my favorite in the series. The main games, besides BW/B2W2, stuck to a single formula. The 5th gen games had the most compelling story in my opinion. But the spin-offs tend to have deeper storylines.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here