• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Videogame Canon(s?)

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
Years
  • We have many different Pokemon video games. Besides the main games, there's the Stadium series, the Colosseum/XD series, Ranger games, TCG games, Mystery Dungeon, Conquest, etc. Thus my question to you guys is how many different cannons do you see, and what games fit into which cannon?

For example, I consider the main games, Stadium games, Colosseum/XD, and Ranger to all be a part of the same Pokemon universe. Basically, if there's nothing in two universes to contradict one another, they can and probably do both exist in the same world. Red could meet up with Solana, and perhaps Looker has done investigative work on Cipher in the past (I guess Pokemon Snap and Hey You Pikachu could go here too). However, the Mystery Dungeon games, Conquest, and several other games are all each distinct universes, with no ties to other games or series; they each are too different from the normal Pokemon world (with Conquest it's just that I refuse to accept the fact that there is an island shaped like Arceus that just happened to form). I'm not sure where something like the TCG games fit, but as it could just be an island where Pokemon are either banned or non-existent they could reasonably be said to exist in the same world. However, I've got friends who have never played some of the side games and never will because 'they didn't really happen', so I wanted to hear your guys's thoughts on the matter.

What do you guys think? Do you consider each game it's own universe, or do you mash them together in certain ways?

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
    Years
  • Well look, in the Main series (no ranger, or stadium types, or the xd duo) are all intertwined in one way. RBY take place during the same time as RSE. GSC takes place 2 years after RBY and at the same time as DPPt. Black and White take place some time after GSC because the Rocket Grunt that takes the machine part from the Power Plant returns to his home country and there is a rocket grunt in Icirrus City. Black 2 White 2 take place 2 years after Black and White and this time in Icirrus City are former Aqua and Magma grunts.

Now as for the Ranger series, those take place outside of the Pokemon Nation. The Looker is from outside of the Pokemon Nation, as indicated by him not knowing the language of the region very well, yet people like Prof. Oak and Jasmine speak it fluently inside of Sinnoh, Jotho, and Kanto. Regions outside the Pokemon Nation might have Pokemon but not Trainers. Proof of this by the lack of pokeballs, centers, shops and gyms in the Ranger series.

The Orre region might be outside the Pokemon Nation, but not to far out as indicated by the use of pokeballs. Now the time when it fits in is unclear. Pokemon Stadium, Stadium 2, Revolution might take place in the respective times of the regions they were introduced, with Stadium 2 and Battle Revolution taking place 2 years after Stadium.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I agreed with the OP entirely. Everything I could say would just be a repeat of what the OP said. o3o

Hm, think of something to contribute... I guess maybe Trozei and Dash are in their own worlds? Not sure, because I never played those games. I think Pokemon Snap took place in the same canon that Oak presides in.

Back