• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 'One' Pokemon Game? Rainbow?

Is a 'Complete' Pokemon game, Incl. all regions etc a good idea or keep the franchise as its small d

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JamuhDee

Pokemon Master
Years
Hey Everyone,
Not sure if anyone has come to this realisation but why hasn't there been a pokemon game to connect all regions of pokemon? (Kanto, Johto, Heonn, Sinnoh, unova, Kalos and possibly the orange, sevii and decolor islands) To create one game you will be able to capture nearly all the pokemon on the national dex and give the player the ultimate 1000+ hours of pure pokemon gameplay.

Although i see this as a brilliant prospect i can see a couple of drawbacks though.. obviously at the moment there is no way that this much content would fit on a 3ds cartridge or what not, so would this mean the game would have to run through a current nintendo (console)? the wii? (u)? or a new separate device altogether?

then there is the fact that this will need to be balanced out, (obviously if your pokemon team all max by the time you've only passed the second region, the rest arent gunna be much fun as there will be no challenge in the upcoming gyms, leagues and feuds between yourself and all the evil do-ers/rivals you would come across. Would you then have some sort of system that keeps your pokemon in separate regions separate? so then in one game it will require you to have multiple teams of pokemon you have to train up and build as you progress through? im not sure...

(^Taking reference from the anime, in which ash (apart from his pikachu) starts off with a new team in each new region, although oak keeps all his pokemon)

Next i can see that there may be some negativity towards such a game being released, arguments such as "now theres no point in playing any of the old games if everything is available in this one game" comes across, so this could majorly devalue the existing pokemon games, and the cost of a game of this proportion would probably be in the range of £60-£80? maybe? not including any extras.

So give me your thoughts guys :) i just love to speculate over the idea of such a game but as everyone who plays pokemon knows, theres always a limit to what you can do in the past history of distributions. You beat the pokemon league, catch the legendaries, build your team, pass the time by going after shinys or perfect ev's/natures and what minigames are available but then every player wants that something to keep them playing right? share below ^^!

P.s (This is just a thread designed to get opinions about a game i would love to play one day, not to start any feuds :) please comment respectively)

p.s.s (In the poll above, It is meant to say *Distros* at the end there, i didnt realise it wouldnt let me fit it all in :L) sorry folks!

Last edited:

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
Hi JamuhDee!

Umm, growing up I've always thought "oh, well we could travel between Kanto and Johto in G/S/C, so how come we couldn't travel to Hoenn or Sinnoh or between regions freely?" I still like the idea of it, but for the reasons you mentioned it just wouldn't be feasible or ever even probable. I can't see GF really putting in THAT much effort.

Next i can see that there may be some negativity towards such a game being released, arguments such as "now theres no point in playing any of the old games if everything is available in this one game" comes across

Personally, I disagree there. Sure, it'd be a plus going to other regions, but it wouldn't make the previous versions irrelevant! They're still different games in my eyes! That's almost like saying "Why bother going playing Gold and Silver when I have Heart Gold and Soul Silver now?". Hardcore fans will always go back and play the older games :)

If one were to come out, I like the idea you mentioned about leaving past Pokes behind at every new region - that is a pretty cool idea that would keep the challenge going, but I don't know if it will happen.

If you're into hacks and want a game that plays along the story of the anime though check out the Pokemon Ash Grey hack! It's pretty cool :)

I'm gonna watch this thread cause it sounds like it could get very interesting!! :)

JamuhDee

Pokemon Master
Years
Personally, I disagree there. Sure, it'd be a plus going to other regions, but it wouldn't make the previous versions irrelevant! They're still different games in my eyes! That's almost like saying "Why bother going playing Gold and Silver when I have Heart Gold and Soul Silver now?". Hardcore fans will always go back and play the older games :)

Hey CliCliW!
Thanks for posting :) That is my exact reasoning with this thread yes :) (The fact that we were able to go between kanto and johto in g/s/c) Maybe this was a tester to see the effects including a wider range of the pokemon nation had?

In regard to the quoted text above, thanks for the second look at it! now i think over it i do always go back to playing the retro games eventually so they will always have that value yes!

Thankyou for the suggestion, i may turn to looking at such things when i have more free time :P! its always great to speculate about such possibilities of things to come and with pokemon, theres no way of knowing what we could expect in the long run, as we've already been witness to so much fantastic content! Thankyou for the watch! :)

Happy Gaming!

- Jamie

Edit! - Also If you also don't mind I want to try and get as much participation in the active poll as possible! cheers

Last edited:

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
A game with Six Regions costs 6 times as much to develop, and 6 times as long to develop. So, Game Freak would have to stop producing games (and revenue) for Dx6 (the length of one development cycle times six.) (could be anywhere from 12 to 18 years of not producing games to make 1 Mega-Game.)

No company could afford that, and fans don't want to wait 18 years for each new name. Pokemon has only been around for 17 years so far.

Really, What is the point of putting them all in one game? GSC might LOOK impresive having 2 Regions, but they CHEATED. The Kanto in GSC is SCALED DOWN. Why? Because there was Nothing to do there, so they made it smaller so you could run though it faster.

Hoenn is bigger than Jhoto and Kanto PUT TOGETHER. And each region since gets bigger. And that is all you really wanted right, BIGGER.

If you want a Pokemon Game where you can Catch Them All, you have XY which gives as many as you can possibly get in one game. If you want a Game that Lasts Longer, play a Challenge Game Like Nuzlocke, or Underlevel, or Not-Fully Evolved.

If you want a game with a better story... Mystery Dungeon suprisingly is a lot better at narrative and genuine emotion that the Main series. MD is produced by a different company. Ask them to write the scenario for the next Pokemon game.

JamuhDee

Pokemon Master
Years
Hey SnowpointQuincy :)

I can see where your coming from, in the more literal deployment of the complete game, but as I know the length of time involved in doing such a game and the costs, I am just merely speculating the ideas behind one, as its something I enjoy discussing with like-minded people :) Thankyou for your opinion ^^

I have been looking into the hacks and such but I won't go further into it as this isn't the correct forum for such discussions :) They do look good and I may get into playing some of them :)

In an ideal world where this might be possible, is there anything about the idea of such a game that would interest you and propel you to play it? (Apart from being a pokemon game :p)

Happy Gaming!

- Jamie

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Jun 4, 2014
It would be great if they bothered, but it simple isn't going to happen because the developers believe in false dichotomies preventing them from even porting a mainstay PKMN game to a home console system.

A game with Six Regions costs 6 times as much to develop, and 6 times as long to develop. So, Game Freak would have to stop producing games (and revenue) for Dx6 (the length of one development cycle times six.) (could be anywhere from 12 to 18 years of not producing games to make 1 Mega-Game.)

No company could afford that, and fans don't want to wait 18 years for each new name. Pokemon has only been around for 17 years so far.

This really is not necessarily true.

They have all of the data for each region and what-have-you, and plenty of room for different regional villains or a single set of villains. While it would take a longer development time to design an entire game with all of the known regions than just another mainstay Pokemon game, it would undoubtedly be nowhere near such assumed figures either.

JamuhDee

Pokemon Master
Years
hi Chaos Dragon,
Yea i can see the reasons why they wouldn't but it would be great wouldn't it :p and yea of course they will always have the data stored for everything they have produced so far and eventually the remaining kalos regions they havent released/fully developed yet either! Even if it isnt produced by Gf/Tpc then i would say it would be an amazing project for any fanboy who is skilled with creating the hack/distros to try and produce. (As this is more likely and probably doable)! :L

thankyou for your input :)
Happy Gaming!

- Jamie

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
They should just make it an MMO instead. That way they won't need to fit it on a cartridge or anything.
A Pokémon MMO would be awesome!
There could be Gym quests, Contests quests, Pokémon catching quests, loads of trainer battles, Berry growing contests, shiny hunting, Legendary Pokémon captures, filling up the national dex. The possibilities are endless!

JamuhDee

Pokemon Master
Years
hi KagamiChan!

Have you seen the first Pokemon MmO? Based on the kanto games?

> pokemmo.eu < Heres a site to show you if not! (Edit: I just realised i think they have updated passed kanto now! (Shows how long ago it was i played lol))

Also one MmO to incorporate it all would be cool and a quest theme brought into it would make the game more lengthier and would also add to the fun! Thanks for the input!

Happy Gaming!

- Jamie

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
hi KagamiChan!

Have you seen the first Pokemon MmO? Based on the kanto games?

> pokemmo.eu < Heres a site to show you if not! (Edit: I just realised i think they have updated passed kanto now! (Shows how long ago it was i played lol))

Also one MmO to incorporate it all would be cool and a quest theme brought into it would make the game more lengthier and would also add to the fun! Thanks for the input!

Happy Gaming!

- Jamie

I did know about that game and I did try it out. can't say I liked it much though xD
Mainly because I'm kind of imagining a Pokémon MMO with amazing 3D graphics and stuff, like most MMOs out there and stuff xD
Now, I know it's a fan made game and stuff but yeah xD

KidCarter93

PokéTech Guy
Years
Hi JamuhDee,

There was actually a discussion about this in the following thread which I was involved in a while ago - What would you think of a "All in one" Pokémon game?.

The general consenus there was that while it would be a great idea and people would love to see it happen, it would likely mean the end of the Pokemon games. It also wouldn't even be possible for probably quite a long time yet as it would require storage on the cartridges that we simply couldn't make, at this point in time.

As mentioned in my post here, me and my brother had discussed this topic and thought of what we believe would be pretty much the only way in which playing through all of the region's would work.

It's definitely something I'd love to see though, whether that be an official game or a hack version :)

- James

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
It would be too big, it would have to be on a console (so only Wii U). And GF have already stated they will never do a official MMO ever because they think its bad for kids in general. So there won't be such in the foreseeable future.

There are a few pokemon MMO out there though if i'm not wrong though (like pokemmo) whether they have all the regions or some new fake regions i'm not sure

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
Years
They should just make it an MMO instead. That way they won't need to fit it on a cartridge or anything.
A Pokémon MMO would be awesome!
There could be Gym quests, Contests quests, Pokémon catching quests, loads of trainer battles, Berry growing contests, shiny hunting, Legendary Pokémon captures, filling up the national dex. The possibilities are endless!

I actually never thought of that...but a Pokemon MMORPG would be pretty awesome.

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 27, 2013
there will come a time when pokemon has to end.. and before it does they need to send a farewell or an everlasting gameplay that will last for a decade or something.. MMORPG is a way to go for those "goodbye" games. Its a continuous money milker that will last for as long as people enjoy the game with patches and everything...

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I would love to see a Pokemon rainbow, but I think that GameFreak hasn't developed a game like this yet because it may ruin it for future games. Also, gamers would get bored of the game after a while because it is too long. While it may be a good idea in retrospect, I don't think that the game would be good. I'm not even sure how they would be able to fit all of that information on one game cartridge.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 3, 2017
This type of game would never happen for several reasons that have already been mentioned. But I like to imagine how I think GameFreak would approach such a game if it were to be developed.

GameFreak places an emphasis on player to player interaction. They do seem to encourage face to face contact, as opposed to simply interacting online through a server. Of course they make the online an option, but there are other features that encourage people interacting with other people in a close proximity.
In particular, they like people interacting and SHARING with other people. If some 'ultimate game' were to exist I think they would sell the game in six different versions, each containing one region. Getting the other regions would require players who have the version with the region that you want to interact in some way. This way players can get their expansive region without losing out on the cooperative aspect of the franchise.

This type of game would probably be a final installment. Budget and green-light allowing, they would probably try to extend the game by adding in more content that can be generated in game and shared with other players. For example, they might would make a puzzle maker that gives people the ability to create new challenges using pieces of old puzzles.

Moving from pure optimism and into a 'little' more realism (though not by much.) GameFreak would never make a game like that. But there is something they could do that would sort of give the players the ability to have their 'rainbow' version. If players were given a space where they could design the layout of a room and add both NPC's and Pokemon, they could manually recreate pieces of different regions. This could be some sort of new Friend Safari where the player is more proactive in what people are getting out of their zone.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
Maybe when the franchise is drawing to a close. Like in Generation X or something. Where technology would allow it. Maybe a console dedicated to it? Nintendo Pokemon The Console.
A Kanto Game, and then you could download the other regions from the Nintendo store onto your 3DS?

Years
It's not going to happen. Even if we ever get the technology for developing such gargantuan games, we'll have to leave out the regions that come from main games in the future, and "rainbow" will be incomplete.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
It doesn't even make sense for Game Freak from a business standpoint. We're talking about a franchise that's the third best of all video games, still selling millions with the current model of a new game = one new region at most, and GSC (and their remakes in HGSS) having at most two regions (and in the originals, we're talking about a very downscaled Kanto region). Why risk sales in making a super got-everything-in-it game that will discourage people from buying newer games afterwards (why do I want this one region game when I have all the regions in that game?) and with problems in implementation?

And no to an MMO. Pokemon is designed for the turn-based system, and the closest we'd be getting to that imo is the likes of Rumble. And Game Freak are quite content in making their games the way they do.

Back