The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 4th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL View Post
Every time that I change the language and click in continue, I receive the below error, but the game continues.

Code:
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
[EOFError, "End of file reached", ["Section058:2070:in `oldload'", "Section058:2070:in `load'", "Section107:346:in `pbStartLoadScreen'", "Section107:328:in `open'", "Section107:328:in `pbStartLoadScreen'", "Section107:319:in `loop'", "Section107:452:in `pbStartLoadScreen'", "Section148:6:in `main'", "Section151:37:in `mainFunctionDebug'", "Section151:15:in `mainFunction'", "Section151:15:in `pbCriticalCode'", "Section151:15:in `mainFunction'", "Section151:47", "Section151:46:in `loop'", "Section151:55"]]
OK   
There's a couple of 14.times in the PokemonLoad script section. Change them to 15.times and let me know if that fixes it.
Old January 4th, 2014, 05:06 PM
fuelre1

Whenever my player chooses a starter Pokemon the "[Player] recieved [Pokemon" message appears like it should. However, when I go into the Party menu, these errors appears:

When I'm playtesting:

Exception:Runtime Error
SpriteWindow: 218: in 'initialize'
PokemonSprite:113: in 'pokemoon='
PokemonParty:341: in 'new'
PokemonParty 341: in 'initialize
PokemonParty:614: in 'pbStartScene'
PokemonParty:612; in 'each'
PokemonParty:612 in 'pbStartScene

When I play the game file:

Script 'SpriteWindow' line 218: RuntimeError occured
filename is nil
Old January 4th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelre1 View Post
Whenever my player chooses a starter Pokemon the "[Player] recieved [Pokemon" message appears like it should. However, when I go into the Party menu, these errors appears:

When I'm playtesting:

filename is nil
This is not a bug, you installed the Pokemon Pack wrong, or perhaps did not even install it.

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC

Last edited by Worldslayer608; January 4th, 2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old January 5th, 2014, 03:40 AM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

----------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
There's a couple of 14.times in the PokemonLoad script section. Change them to 15.times and let me know if that fixes it.
Worked!
Old January 6th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Giu

Nature: Modest
Didn't anyone get the bug in which HP bar sometimes enters in a loop when you take damage, yet?

Detailed description:

When taking damage, the HP bar get stuck between two values. It keeps on oscilating, and the game cannot continue.
It only happens sometimes (~1 out of 8 attacks).
It can happen both to the opponent as well as to the player. (not at the same time)
When the loop starts, there is nothing the player can do so to continue the game.

It doesn't take long to see this. Just play around for a while and you will eventually find this bug.

Check out my DeviantArt account! My game project is called Pokemon Subrosia.
My DeviantArt | Old DeviantArt

Last edited by Giu; January 6th, 2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old January 7th, 2014, 02:16 PM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

The translation system for scripts isn't working. To fix this, just change both 'string=MessageTypes.getFromMapHash(MessageTypes:criptTexts,arg[0])' to 'string=MessageTypes.getFromHash(MessageTypes:criptTexts,arg[0])'
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Nemo Novus

In the script "PokemonStorage", in the class "PokemonStorageScene" at the line 2161 :
change "if key!=nil" to "if key!=-1" and the bug of computer will be corrected.
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo Novus View Post
In the script "PokemonStorage", in the class "PokemonStorageScene" at the line 2161 :
change "if key!=nil" to "if key!=-1" and the bug of computer will be corrected.
This doesn't apply to Essentials v13. The line in question reads: if key>=0 - this is perfectly fine.
Old January 11th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Nemo Novus

Oh sry, i use the Pokemon MMO Starter Kit. I didn't know there was modifications on the Pokemon Essential.
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:49 AM
edogg
EXTREME mapper

Im sorry I am very new to this, and I am probably posting this in the wrong thread but here are my errors logs.

Spoiler:
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

File PBS/trainertypes.txt, line 31

Compiler:488:in `pbGetCsvRecord'

Compiler:472:in `each'

Compiler:472:in `pbGetCsvRecord'

Compiler:1331:in `pbCompileTrainers'

Compiler:1330:in `pbCompilerEachPreppedLine'

Compiler:632:in `each_line'

Compiler:632:in `pbCompilerEachPreppedLine'

Compiler:629:in `open'

Compiler:629:in `pbCompilerEachPreppedLine'

Compiler:1330:in `pbCompileTrainers'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\kenbstm\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Spoiler:
Pokemon Essentials
Script 'Scene_Intro' line 78: NameError occurred.

uninitialized constant IntroEventScene:: PBSpecies
OK

Last edited by edogg; January 12th, 2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:46 AM
IceGod64
My imagination.

Nature: Naive
In this version (Version 13), my Jolteon got paralyzed (To my knowledge, this can't happen in Gen 6 to an electric-type... Can somebody verify this since I don't actually have a 3ds, and I'm just going by what my friends tell me?), Later on, he attacked a Nidoran and the poison point ability poisoned him when he was still paralyzed.

Pretty sure that's not supposed to happen.

Old January 15th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGod64 View Post
In this version (Version 13), my Jolteon got paralyzed (To my knowledge, this can't happen in Gen 6 to an electric-type... Can somebody verify this since I don't actually have a 3ds, and I'm just going by what my friends tell me?), Later on, he attacked a Nidoran and the poison point ability poisoned him when he was still paralyzed.

I'll test it to confirm it, but yes electric types are immune to paralysis in gen 6

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGod64 View Post

I don't recall ever saying that Essentials works just like Gen 6 does. It's a missing feature, sure, but it's not a bug.

Can you replicate the second part of what you said, i.e. a paralysed Pokémon becoming poisoned by Poison Point? The code says this shouldn't happen.
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:52 PM
IceGod64
My imagination.

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
I don't recall ever saying that Essentials works just like Gen 6 does. It's a missing feature, sure, but it's not a bug.

Can you replicate the second part of what you said, i.e. a paralysed Pokémon becoming poisoned by Poison Point? The code says this shouldn't happen.
In retrospect, and attempting to duplicate the steps, I think it might be an oversight on my part. Jolteon was paralyzed, but looking again, I picked up Brendan as a partner, and because of that, Jolteon didn't have a status problem after the next battle, so when I battled Nidoran, Jolteon was okay and I just didn't realize the CPU had healed me. So my bad, I just didn't notice what was (or wasn't) right in front of me the first time.

Ah well, if nothing else I brought the paralysis thing to your attention. That shouldn't be hard to implement for the next version at least.

Old January 15th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Pokemon Trainer Jackey

Nature: Gentle
On the subject of potentially stacking status effects incorrectly, I did have a case where I had a Ralts confuse a sleeping Pokemon. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be able to happen or not; the card game handles SE slightly differently and I don't quite remember how the video game SEs stack (admittedly, it's been a while since I played the video games other than just recently picking up Pokemon Essentials and I'm behind a couple of gens so I'm also having to frequently reference Bulbapedia to see how the newer stuff works and what the newer Pokemon are).

The Ralts in question is one customized to have a custom move set (this particular Ralts is one of the starter options so I needed it to stand-alone at level 5 better). It has Shadow Sneak, Sing, Growl, and Quick Attack as the starting moveset, but I had leveled it up and replaced Growl with Confusion. Then later on in a battle (I forget against what, but probably a Rattata or a Furret), I used Sing to put the normal type opponent to sleep and then Confusion to whittle their HP down, and in the process, confused them. The Ralts is also Shiny, just in case that somehow makes a bizarre difference (code can be weird). I can get you more stats about the Ralts if needed.

If that's supposed to happen, then never mind; I'm just being lame. But if not, then I thought you should know.

Also, I haven't finished reading the reported bugs thread yet, so I'm not sure if this is already reported, but while I'm making a post anyway....
I had a weird issue involving Charmander and battle text font size. I had a Charmander (I randomly nicknamed him Spazzler; just the first thing that popped into my head). Whenever I had Spazzler as the active Pokemon in battle and then switched him out for another Pokemon, most of the battle text (such as "Cleffa used Pound!" etc) would often get so tiny that I could barely read it. I have not seen this happen with any other Pokemon yet (but I haven't played around with a big variety yet). And unfortunately, I didn't have that particular game save around long enough to thoroughly document all the factors that might play into it (such as switching from Spazzler to a specific Pokemon), as I had started a "New Game" to test out a feature that took place earlier than my save file, and the game decided to crash and auto-saved, over-writing the file with Spazzler. I don't know if it was his name, species, the combination thereof, or some other factor (like one of his stats or something) that was causing the font size to shrink.

Last edited by Pokemon Trainer Jackey; January 15th, 2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Jackey View Post
On the subject of potentially stacking status effects incorrectly, I did have a case where I had a Ralts confuse a sleeping Pokemon. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be able to happen or not; the card game handles SE slightly differently and I don't quite remember how the video game SEs stack (admittedly, it's been a while since I played the video games other than just recently picking up Pokemon Essentials and I'm behind a couple of gens so I'm also having to frequently reference Bulbapedia to see how the newer stuff works and what the newer Pokemon are).

The Ralts in question is one customized to have a custom move set (this particular Ralts is one of the starter options so I needed it to stand-alone at level 5 better). It has Shadow Sneak, Sing, Growl, and Quick Attack as the starting moveset, but I had leveled it up and replaced Growl with Confusion. Then later on in a battle (I forget against what, but probably a Rattata or a Furret), I used Sing to put the normal type opponent to sleep and then Confusion to whittle their HP down, and in the process, confused them. The Ralts is also Shiny, just in case that somehow makes a bizarre difference (code can be weird). I can get you more stats about the Ralts if needed.

If that's supposed to happen, then never mind; I'm just being lame. But if not, then I thought you should know.

Also, I haven't finished reading the reported bugs thread yet, so I'm not sure if this is already reported, but while I'm making a post anyway....
I had a weird issue involving Charmander and battle text font size. I had a Charmander (I randomly nicknamed him Spazzler; just the first thing that popped into my head). Whenever I had Spazzler as the active Pokemon in battle and then switched him out for another Pokemon, most of the battle text (such as "Cleffa used Pound!" etc) would often get so tiny that I could barely read it. I have not seen this happen with any other Pokemon yet (but I haven't played around with a big variety yet). And unfortunately, I didn't have that particular game save around long enough to thoroughly document all the factors that might play into it (such as switching from Spazzler to a specific Pokemon), as I had started a "New Game" to test out a feature that took place earlier than my save file, and the game decided to crash and auto-saved, over-writing the file with Spazzler. I don't know if it was his name, species, the combination thereof, or some other factor (like one of his stats or something) that was causing the font size to shrink.
confusion is not a Status Effect, and can be stacked with affection (being in love with the opponent pokemon) and (for example) paralysis - confusion and affection are not status effects as they are "cured" once the pokemon is returned to the party

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~
Old January 18th, 2014, 06:15 AM
desbrina
Lightning Yellow Creator

Nature: Quiet
Found an error with the editor

Quote:
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NoMethodError

PokemonEditor2 #####:1224:in `pbPokemonEditor'

PokemonEditor2 #####:1035:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor:1209:in `loop'

PokemonEditor:1234:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor2 #####:1035:in `pbPokemonEditor'

EditorMain #####:106:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain #####:106:in `pbFadeOutIn'

EditorMain #####:106:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain #####:85:in `loop'

EditorMain #####:279:in `pbEditorMenu'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Ceri\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK
You can reproduce it by going to edit a pokemon, viewing the effort points section, then saving effort points and saving pokemon, that error pops up when returning to the pokemon list. Doesnt happen if you dont view the effort points

A Pokemon Yellow remake, using HGSS Tiles, and the ability to obtain all Kanto Pokemon as well as their previous/later evolutions.

Old January 18th, 2014, 02:24 PM
DakoGurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelre1 View Post

When I'm playtesting:

filename is nil
I've also been getting this error, and have redownloaded Essentials twice, and keep getting the same error.
I extract essentials into a folder using winrar, so should I be using a different method, like 7-Zip? Is there something I'm missing? I'm not even sure where to look for any missing sprites in essentials. Any help will be appreciated.
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:03 AM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakoGurb View Post
I've also been getting this error, and have redownloaded Essentials twice, and keep getting the same error.
I extract essentials into a folder using winrar, so should I be using a different method, like 7-Zip? Is there something I'm missing? I'm not even sure where to look for any missing sprites in essentials. Any help will be appreciated.
Read the post below fuelre1 post.
Old January 20th, 2014, 04:02 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL View Post
Read the post below fuelre1 post.
Post #553 to be exact, sometimes it's just better to show us directly where the fix/answer is, no matter how silly it seems.

To answer his question anyway, it seems you have added the sprites wrong, not that you are missing anything.
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Ratty524

Nature: Calm
Has anyone had weird errors with the animation pack that is currently included in v13? For some animations, such as defense curl and harden, the animation cels appear at the upper left hand corner of the screen as oppose to center when playtesting both my game and another fangame that I recently picked up. Other animations like growl or sand-attack don't seem to leave the center of the allied battler, and instead clump together weirdly.

What's weird about this is that when I play each default animation in the editor, they work perfectly, and every cel appears at the right position.

Another thing worth mentioning, the "use pokemon cry" sound feature seems to work only for the allied Pokemon, yet the enemy side always seems to use "001Cry" as it's main cry (oftentimes sounding like bulbasaur). I don't see it brought up a lot here, so is anyone else having this issue?
Old January 20th, 2014, 01:34 PM
desbrina
Lightning Yellow Creator

Nature: Quiet
i'm having the same thing with the animations, from what i've seen its mainly those that change stats, though i've also noticed the opponent version of sand attack points upwards not downwards

A Pokemon Yellow remake, using HGSS Tiles, and the ability to obtain all Kanto Pokemon as well as their previous/later evolutions.

Old January 20th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Eichro

Am I the only one crashing when entering a battle in safari zone? This does not happen when debugging right into the map instead of crossing the gate.
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:05 AM
WackyTurtle
Developer

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnake90 View Post
Im having a issue i compressed my game and encrypt it using RPG Maker. and when i get past the start screen it gives me (Script 'SpriteWindow' line 1998: NoMethodError occurred. undefined method 'length' for nil:NilClass.)
I'm also having this issue, and it's preventing me from releasing a demo. How do I fix this?

Developer of Pokémon: Legends of the Arena.

Old January 25th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Pokemon Trainer Jackey

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desbrina View Post
i'm having the same thing with the animations, from what i've seen its mainly those that change stats, though i've also noticed the opponent version of sand attack points upwards not downwards
I've also seen attack animations play way in the upper left of the screen instead of where they should, AND when I was doing an event and trying to have it show a graphic in the center of the screen, it did the same thing. "Center" seems to be misaligned.

Aaaaaaaaand my background music has been cutting out when I walk from one map to another for some reason. I'll just be walking (or running) along and as soon as I cross over into another map, no more BGM. It didn't initially do this and then it just started cutting out one day. I'm not sure if I did something to break it. I don't think so, but....
Music still works right if I use an event to go from one map to another. But as soon as I walk/run to another map... silence.

Last edited by Pokemon Trainer Jackey; January 25th, 2014 at 09:34 AM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links