• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will The End of Days be upon us anytime soon?

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
Just look at all these things that could point to doomsday...
1. Natural Disasters.
2. Mass Animal Deaths.
3. Climate Changes.
4. Changes in the look of seas, the sky, rivers.

Could these all point to an impending doomsday?

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
I wouldn't say any day soon. There are certain things happening, but none of them really have any substantial change that could ruin the world, unless the change is over the course of thousands and thousands of years.

I believe we will run out of resources before that, and we will go into a huge war over something like that, ultimately killing off some people. However, this won't be for a long time.

Our generation and many generations after ours probably won't need to worry. Also, you never know what kind of technological advancements we may make to make this world an easier environment to live in. It's already happening now.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Not really, since those are things that happen all the time. Even if they happen at a greater frequency than usual, that's normal too. The frequency of natural disasters has fluctuated throughout history. Keep in mind all the things that have occurred in the past that didn't result in the end of the world:

Something (a meteorite probably) so powerful it completely altered the Earth's climate and atmosphere and wiped out the dinosaurs.

A volcano eruption (Mount Vesuvius) so powerful it released 1000 times as much energy as an atomic bomb, and wiped out one of the most powerful cities in the world.

Several ice ages.

Conclusion: there's been worse. Perhaps not in our lifetime, but there's been worse. It's going to take more than a few natural disasters and rising sea levels to end this world :D

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I know we have, at most, until the Sun engulfs the planets (unless we find something to do about it), but I do think something will happen before then that'll spell the end for humanity. Maybe not all life, but humanity at least. Nothing in the near future though. As for man-made, or natural occurrence, I guess we'll find out.

Years
I don't care what happens to this world...
The only thing I care about regarding this topic, is the end of humanity, and I'm very glad that it may happen.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
I don't think it will happen any time soon. If there was an ice age, it actually would take 10 years to completely fill the earth. We would have time to prepare. We would adapt to such environment.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
No. Doomsdays don't happen out of the blue. They can be predicted, and all the cathastrophes you described have an origin and an explanation. Us pumping a lot of CO2 into the atmosphere and causing climate changes does not mean that "the end of times is upon us", just that we are a bunch of greedy animals who don't care about the environment as long as make money out of it. And earthquakes and volcanoes have been here for millions and millions of years, nothing out of the ordinary going on. It's called "continental drift", and we know very well where those cathastrophes can happen, since they have been happening there forever. Literally. Also, "changes in the look of seas, the sky, rivers"- what?

Apparently, Jesus predicted the tribulation during his followers' lifetimes, he kind of got it completely wrong. Since then, a lot of people have been taking any special dates or eclipses or natural desasters as a sign of the end times, and we are still around here several centuries later. I don't think we'll see the end of the world unless we do it ourselves (and we are very capable of it), but it wouldn't be anybody else's fault but ours.

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
Years
If I become a politician, it would be quite possible that I'd have something to do with the end of the world, or at least some for of massive catastrophe. And it wouldn't be an obvious, "Ah ha! I shall plot the downfall of all mankind!", but more of a, "Um, I kinda insulted the foreign Prime Minister, and now they want to nuke us."

But since I am not becoming a politician, we are all safe for now. Unless a civil war breaks out in the USA or Russia, or even China for that matter. Then things might get dicey.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
There seems to be nothing pointing towards the end of the world, but who knows when the end of the world will be? If it ever ends, I believe that the end of the world will be unexpected. Numbers 1 and 3 are similar. I believe that those two could be the only cause for the end of the world. If a huge meteor crashed down onto Earth then it could kill all of most of the human race. If the ice caps did somehow melt then water could envelop the world and kill a majority of the race, or even an ice age could lead to mass destruction. There are endless possibilities. umber two, mass animal deaths would be tragic but it would not be the end of the world. We could still eat plants, many animal species have died since the beginning of time and humans are fine. For number four, although it would freak out us, I don't believe just na observational would serve as enough to become a doomsday event.

Years
To be honest, I think humanity will inevitably kill each other probably because of war or nuclear weapons. Humans are terrifying creatures that have the intelligence and knowledge to do what other species cannot. It's each other that we have to be afraid of basically. Regarding natural disasters, the biggest one I do believe in is the Sun becoming large enough to engulf the entire Earth, and I was actually reading about it the other day. That event will take billions of years.

By the way, does anybody believe in the Doomsday Clock or have heard about it?

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
No. Doomsdays don't happen out of the blue. They can be predicted, and all the cathastrophes you described have an origin and an explanation. Us pumping a lot of CO2 into the atmosphere and causing climate changes does not mean that "the end of times is upon us", just that we are a bunch of greedy animals who don't care about the environment as long as make money out of it. And earthquakes and volcanoes have been here for millions and millions of years, nothing out of the ordinary going on. It's called "continental drift", and we know very well where those cathastrophes can happen, since they have been happening there forever. Literally. Also, "changes in the look of seas, the sky, rivers"- what?

Apparently, Jesus predicted the tribulation during his followers' lifetimes, he kind of got it completely wrong. Since then, a lot of people have been taking any special dates or eclipses or natural desasters as a sign of the end times, and we are still around here several centuries later. I don't think we'll see the end of the world unless we do it ourselves (and we are very capable of it), but it wouldn't be anybody else's fault but ours.

I would be considered a follower of Jesus Christ. He wasn't wrong. The tribulation could start on five minutes or in a thousand years. We will never know. I don't think we have to worry about the world ending anytime soon. Even at that, it would take 7 years. The Left Behind books are great.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Just look at all these things that could point to doomsday...
1. Natural Disasters.
2. Mass Animal Deaths.
3. Climate Changes.
4. Changes in the look of seas, the sky, rivers.

Could these all point to an impending doomsday?

No, not even remotely close. There is no way to predict when the end of the world will come. We as humans can't even accurately predict the weather, much less when and how this world will die. It will eventually, but I don't believe that will happen for millions of years.

What we call natural disasters are really what I'd consider "burps." These so-called disasters are nothing compared to the natural events that occurred during the formation of our world. Natural disasters have been occurring since the Earth was created. Mass animal extinctions have occurred since animal live first appeared on the planet (think the dinosaurs). The climate has changed, for various reasons, over the centuries from warming to cooling and back again.

I think, when we talk of the end of the world, we're not actually talking about the planet itself, but rather the human race as a species. We seem to combine the two as if the Earth depends on our survival. It does not. We're just one of hundreds of thousands of species that have lived on this planet. And one day it's possible that we will die out as thousands of species have before us. But this Earth, most likely, will continue long after we are gone.

Back