• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon WAR: The Rom Hack

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2016
    starmie.png
    ABOUT ME:
    starmie.png

Many years ago in my youth I used to be into ROM hacking the original Red and Blue generation. Not to a great standard, I'd make them in my bedroom and hand them out at school on floppy disks. Years past and I forgot all about ROM hacking.

Then I found Light Platinum...

I played a whole bunch of ROM hacks and was impressed by how much the quality had improved in the last fifteen years and started messing around with it again. Still, not to a great standard.

But I had an idea. I thought to myself that "one day someone should make a hack set during the Pokémon war" then I thought to myself: hang on. I'm someone, and today is one day. So I sat down and started developing Pokémon WAR.

starmie.png
    PREMISE:
    starmie.png

Pokémon WAR is based between five and ten years before the adventures of Red.

The region of Kanto has been taken over by an international terrorist organisation known only as Team Rocket. Using nefarious means and devious tactics the Rockets have captured key strategic points across the region and are plotting a coup d'etat of the Pokémon League. Should the Rockets defeat the league and appoint a champion all hope of peace will be lost.

A small group of elite trainers led by Professor Oak are mounting a fightback against the Rockets. Only the Pokerebels can liberate the people of Kanto and restore order to the region.

You play as a fully grown adult man from New Bark Town in the neighbouring Johto region. With Pokerebels failing to the east Professor Oak has fled to Johto to recruit new blood for the resistance. Can you make the difference and finally bring an end to the Kanto civil war?

starmie.png
    SCREENSHOTS:
    starmie.png

Screenshot_90.jpg

Screenshot_91.jpg
    Screenshot_92.jpg

Screenshot_99.jpg

Screenshot_94.jpg

Screenshot_95.jpg

Screenshot_96.jpg

Screenshot_97.jpg

starmie.png
    FEATURES:
    starmie.png

A whole new never before seen story line.
    That's it really. It's the story that's important.

starmie.png
    PROGRESS:
    starmie.png

I've added three Johto cities, a few routes and caves etc. Much of Kanto will remain the same map-wise and the changes will be character/script based.

It's hard to explain without giving away too much detail. I want the player to be surprised as the story unfolds. I have much of the story laid out in my mind but am open to ideas and suggestions of you guys have any.

Finally, if there's any scripters out there interested in giving me a hand (scripting is where I'm struggling most) I'd be more than happy to graciously accept your offers of help!

starmie.png
    DOWNLOAD:
    starmie.png

Coming soon.

starmie.png
    TOOLS:
    starmie.png

Advance Intro Editor
    AdvanceMap
    NSEv2
    XSE

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I'm curious about this screenshot.

Spoiler:

I see default Fire Red graphics in most of your screenshots, and then there's this one. It looks just like Shiny Gold, especially with that character next to the Pikachu, he was an extra rival added by the hack's creator.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2016
    Well spotted! That is indeed the OW from shiny gold. (I must admit I thought it was just a frontier brain though...) He's quite an important character in my story but I can always change the sprite if that's a problem.

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2016
    Nice concept for a hack. I'll definitely try it out if you get out a release. Don't worry about the maps or the tiles, just focus on the story. A good idea is to include some plot twists to keep the player interested. You can have someone who is a close friend in the pokerebels, who later on in the story is revealed to have been a spy for team rocket all along. Throughout the game, you can show hints that something was off about him. You can have an event where the pokerebels are shocked that team rocket knew there plans but it was because the spy told them.

Good luck with the hack, just throwin out some ideas.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2016
    Nice concept for a hack. I'll definitely try it out if you get out a release. Don't worry about the maps or the tiles, just focus on the story. A good idea is to include some plot twists to keep the player interested. You can have someone who is a close friend in the pokerebels, who later on in the story is revealed to have been a spy for team rocket all along. Throughout the game, you can show hints that something was off about him. You can have an event where the pokerebels are shocked that team rocket knew there plans but it was because the spy told them.

Good luck with the hack, just throwin out some ideas.

Thanks for the feedback!

Your spy idea is something I already have planned. It'll be interesting to see of anyone works out who it is. That probably won't be revealed until after the first release.

And I'm going to do very little in terms of tiles and that. As you say I'm going to focus on the story. It wouldn't make sense to change too much of it anyway because its supposed to be set in the past.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    Well, it is up to you to decide how the plot looks like, but i really wouldnt use Team Rocket as the enemy, since it was never mentioned in the originals that they came back. Also Giovanni would have never been gym leader in the originals if he tried to conquer kanto a few years ago. I also think that a unique enemy team would make this good idea even more interesting.
    What could also be interesting, if you make it like ruby and sapphire where you have 2 groups in a more civil war like approach, where you can join the group which ideas the player likes more.

Back