• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dial up :D

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
  • Today I just just found an old dial up modem and it reminds me about the most irritating sound i ever heard when i was kid. So the question of this thread is,

Do you have ever used before dial up modem? Do you still using it until now where internet speed can be go as fast as 100 mbps+?

Share your thoughts!

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 16, 2019
    I last used it over a decade ago and I'd hate to go back after being spoiled by cable, DSL, and now fibre optics. I try and imagine my mom needing to use the phone soon to boost my productivity; it's about the only thing that dial-up ingrained in me.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I so remember using it when I was little and always being on the internet. The only problem was no one could call us if we were on the internet...lol. Oh how I sent many of hours on it.

Years
  • There's no way I could ever go back to using dialup. While I might have been able to stand its speeds back then (since there really wasn't much that was better and still affordable), after using faster internet for years and years I get annoyed at even a slight bit of slowness. Forget going back to dialup!

I'm so used to those by now that I forget stuff like dialup tying up the phone line was actually a thing. :X I haven't touched dialup since...2000 or so? ish? It's been a while.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • Man I remember the first computer my grandad got and the dial-up connection that came with it, and man would I hate to go back to that. I'm super happy with the internet I have now, that a dial-up connection would be super depressing haha.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I've used it at a young age and remember how I had to wait for pages to load. I believe waiting 5 minutes was the standard back then. Of course it didn't feel slow at the time and it'd be ridiculous now.

I don't think I've ever use dial-up ever again with today's advances in internet service. If I was away from home I'd simply use my phone's 4G connection.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    My family used to have dial-up, and it was a pain waiting for pages to load. We finally had to get rid of it when my mother tried to call home from work and couldn't get through because I was tying up the phone line.

I could never go back to using dial-up. The Internet is my main source of entertainment, and I like it to be fast. Going back to dial-up would annoy me so much.

Years
  • Good grief, I have about five different 56k modems in my closet! I've never used them myself because we've had broadband since the late 90s here (and I was a child lol) but they've all come from various computer towers I've owned over the years.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • lol yeah most of people don't want to use dail ups anymore..... but the dialup sound will never be forgotten.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I had dial up until 6 years ago. We had it late because high speed Internet didn't work in my area.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 16, 2019
    The only problem was no one could call us if we were on the internet...lol.

Really? I wish that's how our dial-up worked because back then anyone could call us regardless if dial-up is in use or not, and if the phone rings the connection gets interrupted.

There's no way I could ever go back to using dialup. While I might have been able to stand its speeds back then (since there really wasn't much that was better and still affordable), after using faster internet for years and years I get annoyed at even a slight bit of slowness. Forget going back to dialup!

It'd certainly suck to once again use internet with the speed of dial-up considering the colossal size of internet pages nowadays. Some websites take an entire minute to load under fibre optics because of full blown advertisements.

I can't imagine the amount of time it'll take to buffer a 4K video let alone 480p. {XD}

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    For us if someone tried to call us they would get a busy signal as if someone was on the phone when really it was the internet being used.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Ah the 90's where I could use the phone to connect to the internet the noise brings nostalgic memories of window 98/95. Setup is a pain while using modem because it requires username and password also the tendency to fail all the time. The memories

Years
  • Did anybody live in a household with two phone lines so that there was one dedicated to a dial-up connection? I know back in the day, my old neighbors had two phone lines at their home that way they could still receive calls and still be connected to the internet, lol

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    The most of annoying thing is about dial-ups is that isn't continuously connected, you have to manually connect it each time you start up the computer or when your session is done. I wonder if present computers/laptop today still have modems?

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I had dial up at home until late 2004, and I still had to use it in certain locations (e.g., for doing homework at my grandmother's house) until late 2012-early 2013 (when I finally got a smartphone). I hated it, and though that dial up sound brings back memories, they're not the best ones. I recall trying to play flash games online, and having to wait forever for them to load. As I began to have more internet-heavy school assignments, dial up became more of a problem.

I had forgotten about a lot of my dial-up woes until recently, making sure to download everything I needed before going to family holidays with my grandmother and telling people that I would be incommunicado while I was away. A couple of years ago, though (fall 2011, I guess), I had to use dial-up to do some last-minute research and fact checking for a term paper I had due Monday morning after Thanksgiving. It was awful. Not to mention, I had to disconnect the phone in order to use it, and that didn't make my grandmother very happy.

Years
  • We never had internet in our house until broadband was a thing, that's how poor we were, only internet i got was in school. I remember my aunt letting me use her dial up as kid but her PG settings where so high I couldn't even use the disney channel website.. and thats really all I wanted to use haha

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 16, 2019
    Yup. Let's see... going back a bit to remember my past...

Back then dial-up was considered a luxury most couldn't afford. Or well, it's more like my family didn't find internet a necessity at all (and therefore, a waste of money) so I never knew the convenience of the internet until late 2005 or so. I think we began with those scratch cards with limited time in them and eventually moved to subscription-based dial-up the following year. I think my family moved to broadband in 2008 during my second year of high school. My memory about it is a bit hazy...

In retrospect, I think of it as something I can look back fondly to; going to libraries and bookstores to get my homework and projects done not knowing they can be easily searched on Google. Oh and of course... knowing how to find Rayquaza makes you the coolest kid on the block because 'secrets' like that are mostly spread through word of mouth. I assume someone had internet, found out about it, and word quickly spread to the entire school.

Last edited:
    Back