• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Need advice on making a D&D style pokemon game

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 20, 2015
    Creating a new pokemon RP game very loosely based on the old D&D style but using pokemon settings and stories.

Anyone who is better at the computer side of game design I need your opinion on the feasibility of either creating a game from this idea or creating a platform for people to play through this as a normal table top RP

Ive already started on the paper side of things to create a D&D pokemon game by writing up the rules and im starting on creating character sheets and maps for the different regions

Anyone's feedback or ideas would be appreciated

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Creating a D&D-esque Pokemon roleplaying game comes up from time to time, and is not really met with success, for reasons that I think lie with the typical DM.

The reason I think that pokemon tabletop RPGs don't work is because of the typical stories associated with Pokemon functioning more as single player experiences. You can't have a party of heroes adventuring with the same goal(such as collecting all 8 gym badges) because you get some weird contrived thing like the Gym Leader can heal their Pokemon between battles(in which case the technology exists to do so, and if so, why don't the players have it?). Not to mention, each player has a team of up to 6 Pokemon, and players in a tabletop game get antsy in combat situations where they aren't participating.

A couple solutions I've thought about were to make sure that nobody could have the same goal story-wise. That way you get a party much like Ash and friends in the TV show, which has the downside of different roles being undesirable at times("No, *I* want to challenge the Pokemon League!"). Additionally, having players whose trainer characters aren't battling roleplay as the battling trainer's Pokemon(which can get confusing when you have more and more characters to roleplay).

Long story short, these are design hurdles you're going to have to face, so I wish you luck!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 20, 2015
    Thanks for the advice,
    I've thought about the problem of long single person battles and the only way to get around this is to do short sped up battles were the outcome is decided via a few quick roles affected by the pokemons stats and this would shorten battles to sub 5 mins but would result in being quite boring with little control over each fight.

I never thought about the problem of the story and the only way I could think to change it would to only allow one gym challenge a day (there is a day night cycle im trying to work into the game) and then follow the animes style of having the competition to become the champion.

Now that im thinking about it the anime actually offers a lot of solutions as it is has fewer single battles and a lot more focus on little stories and quests throughout Ash's journey throughout each region.

To make the game better i think it would be best if i tried to keep it much more like the anime where actual battles are longer but there are a lot less of them than the video games

Last edited by a moderator:

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    At first I thought you meant everyone RPs as a band of adventurers using Pokemon instead of traditional races, like a hybrid D&D + Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I have no idea how you'd write a bunch of players all with their own little parties trying to achieve the same goal.

Years
  • You could set it in a non-canon Pokemon AU where trainers are limited to maybe two Pokemon instead of six, and instead of single people challenging the league, it's a team affair. Make the entire group of people playing come up with a collective team name, and then that team challenges the league. Maybe make gym puzzles based around having multiple people, like having to have a person standing on a button in order for a gate to be open, that someone else can walk through.

From what I understand, a lot of D&D type games have that one canon character that DMs are supposed to pull out and use to assist the players when the DM comes to the realization that the scenario they created is too hard. In my idea, you don't even need such a character - if you ever come to that realization, you just pull out the "Gym Lead-Group Member A's Pikachu accidentally hit Member B's Stunfisk!"

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 20, 2015
    I definatley want to try and get the people who play together to work as a group rather than go off and so their own thing. The biggest problem ive got now is trying to work out how to keep it as true to the games as possible. As mentioned having six pokemon each will be a hassle but im thinking if using individual pokemon character sheets ti keep track of all their stats.

Im definately considering the possibility of the group pokemon league thing. It would be good to allow the players to have that freedom to choose to work together to conquer the league.

One thing i want to do is keep forced trainer battles to a minimum as they could end up taking ages to get through. Im really trying to work out how to impliment this day night cycle to the game as it adds realism and can help with problems such as a set amount of encounters per day

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming, my pc is currently broke i need to replace the psu but the main rules are currently being written up and i hope to start doing some test runs soon

Years
  • From what happens in the Anime, Gym Leaders can store Pokémon at their Gym instead of a Professor's Lab. Misty and Brock both did that during their time on the show, so why don't they just use a separate team for each trainer. Also why don't you have the Gym Leaders use different teams based on the number of Badges that the trainer has? That has actually been hinted in the Anime as well.

Back