• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Have You Ever Caught a Shiny in Gen I?

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    For those that don't know, a shiny Pokemon from Gen II will retain its shininess if traded to a Gen I game and back again; this is because shininess is determined by IVs, which are also preserved.

Similarly, a Pokemon from Gen I has exactly the same chance of being shiny as a Pokemon from Gen II, only you (obviously) wouldn't realize that it was shiny until it gets traded to a Gen II game.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

I'm not sure if this should go in the Gen I or Gen II forum...

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I haven't though I heard it's possible to catch a shiny Ditto in Gen I games that involves the Red Gyarados from Lake of Rage. (:

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    My Blastoise on my current Red file (the third one I made, overall) is shiny. I discovered it when looking through my Pokemon on Stadium 2. I never did permanently move it to gen II, but I really like it, and it's inspired me to continue to seek out shiny Blastoise in other generations.

Back