• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
Years
  • I have an opinion based question here: If I were to make my game a fakemon hack, should I make it entirely fakemon, or part real pokemon and part fakemon? Yeah yeah I know most people don't like fakemon but I do so :P

Years
    • Seen today
    I have an opinion based question here: If I were to make my game a fakemon hack, should I make it entirely fakemon, or part real pokemon and part fakemon? Yeah yeah I know most people don't like fakemon but I do so :P

Personally, I would go with a mixture of fake and real Pokemon, leaning towards real.

I like seeing a lot of familiar Pokemon because it cuts down on the cognitive load; if your hack is full of fakemon, I have to learn their names, types, moves, and their general stat distribution to decide what to do against it or if I want to catch it. And that's for every fakemon.

It's not a lot of time/effort by any means, but it's specific to one hack (unless I guess you used the same fakemon in multiple hacks), so if a hack uses an excessive amount of fakemon, I'd be more likely to just stop playing.

Years
  • There's always the regular PC discord too, if we overflow #general with ROM hacking stuff I'm sure they'd want to hide us away in our own channel soon enough, lol.

Come and join the PokéCommunity's Discord server, here: https://discord.gg/Q6RcPB9

We have a #game-dev channel for all forms of fangames, hacks and RMXP games, and game dev discussion and progress sharing! Come and share screenshots, maps, works in progress, etc.

Note that it isn't really being used as a place to ask for help; of course, the odd question is fine but it isn't a helpline, either.

EDIT: And like that we've got our own dedicated channel for ROM hacking, #rom-hacking! Check it out here: https://discord.gg/XEmMcww

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Come and join the PokéCommunity's Discord server, here: https://discord.gg/Q6RcPB9

We have a #game-dev channel for all forms of fangames, hacks and RMXP games, and game dev discussion and progress sharing! Come and share screenshots, maps, works in progress, etc.

Note that it isn't really being used as a place to ask for help; of course, the odd question is fine but it isn't a helpline, either.
    Awesome

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2016
    Hello,

First of all, sorry for my bad english .
    I request your help today for helping me to find a hack rom i was playing some years ago (i searched 5 month but don't find anything)
    The hack rom haved a karma system (you can join the villain depend of your choices and your actions) completed by a quest system .
    In my memories, the main character sprit was new.

Please if somebody knew a hack rom with this characteristic tell me the name, your my last hope !

Tapan681

RiverDream
    Years
  • Hello,

First of all, sorry for my bad english .
    I request your help today for helping me to find a hack rom i was playing some years ago (i searched 5 month but don't find anything)
    The hack rom haved a karma system (you can join the villain depend of your choices and your actions) completed by a quest system .
    In my memories, the main character sprit was new.

Please if somebody knew a hack rom with this characteristic tell me the name, your my last hope !

Pokemon Discovery?
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307817

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2016
    Hey,

Thanks for your reply !
    Unfortunately i think that is was not the right hack rom, but this one seem pretty interesting, thanks !

wolfboyft

Pokémon Generation 2 Hacker
    Years
  • Hey babes, I've come here today to talk about disassembly and why we should ALL use it.

ROM hacking compiled ROMs with a hexadec-editor or tools for editing compiled ROMs is... let's just put it this way:

NOT the way to go.

https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/?#pret
    https://github.com/pret

Go to the latter link for to find assortment of disassembly repositories, that include a) easier-to-read-and-access ASM (for your learning, if you want (which you should!)) and b) your familiar scripting languages. Go to the former link to talk in IRC about what the heck this is.

Sample ASM script: http://pastebin.com/raw/vZKS0tyH

Notice how there are no numbers written for addresses, just "labels." These can be moved around, and when you assemble the assembly code and it's derived scripts/graphics etcetera, they'll be re-linked. No need to worry about re-writing every single pointer in the ROM, because RGBDS, the assembler kit thing, does that all for you when you run the make (or make crystal11) command!

Basically, this is a suggestion about how we ROM hack. By going this way you can only gain. ROM hacking in the way most of you do is a serious handicap to the creation of your amazing projects and ideas. I implore you ALL to literally just ditch the inferior way to ROM hack and go PRET disassembly!

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • Hey babes, I've come here today to talk about disassembly and why we should ALL use it.

ROM hacking compiled ROMs with a hexadec-editor or tools for editing compiled ROMs is... let's just put it this way:

NOT the way to go.

Go to the latter link for to find assortment of disassembly repositories, that include a) easier-to-read-and-access ASM (for your learning, if you want (which you should!)) and b) your familiar scripting languages. Go to the former link to talk in IRC about what the heck this is.

Notice how there are no numbers written for addresses, just "labels." These can be moved around, and when you assemble the assembly code and it's derived scripts/graphics etcetera, they'll be re-linked. No need to worry about re-writing every single pointer in the ROM, because RGBDS, the assembler kit thing, does that all for you when you run the make (or make crystal11) command!

Basically, this is a suggestion about how we ROM hack. By going this way you can only gain. ROM hacking in the way most of you do is a serious handicap to the creation of your amazing projects and ideas. I implore you ALL to literally just ditch the inferior way to ROM hack and go PRET disassembly!

Except the GBA games are incomplete. There are no instructions on how to use them either, so we don't.
    It's easier to just use a custom engine (or just romhack) in this case.

Crizzle

Legend
    Years

NOT the way to go.

I think I'll(and most others) need some more details and explanation if we are going to completely change our ways. Most of us (apparently) don't think conventional hacking is inferior to disassembly and need to be convinced.

wolfboyft

Years
  • I think I'll(and most others) need some more details and explanation if we are going to completely change our ways. Most of us (apparently) don't think conventional hacking is inferior to disassembly and need to be convinced.

Sure, here you go:

Advantages of disassembly over compiled-ROM hacking:

Pointers do not need to be rewritten after every time they're shifted, because labels are used instead.
    It has all of your familiar scripting languages-- plus much more and no less.
    It's far more readable. (Hex numbers or macros? You choose.)
    It is in multiple files, not one huge, daunting ROM.
    It can be managed properly in git, which has advantages of its own.
    Build and/or assemble with no complication involved.
    Constants like NUM_POKEMON are extremely useful, in a way similar to labels.
    You can change whole data structures, like the party Pokémon struct, very quickly and with few errors, which is obviously not something that would be plausible in hexadecimal.

Ask the experts in PRET's IRC channel for more.

Except the GBA games are incomplete. There are no instructions on how to use them either, so we don't.
    It's easier to just use a custom engine (or just romhack) in this case.

This is CURRENTLY pretty much generations 1 and 2, you're right. GBA-hackers will need to wait.

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • By the by, is anyone really working on any Gen III disassemblies at the moment?

No. Disfire was put on hold because shinyquagsire works on 3DS hacking now. It's a lot of work and very time-consuming on top of that. Plus, using asm for an entire game isn't what I call fun. I don't like hacking the binary with tools or anything either, which is why I do C, but I get lots of people aren't attracted to either asm or C. That's why there's no progress on GBA disassemblies despite the enormous communities.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2016
    I'm requesting help finding a download of an older hack on here.
    [Roguelike Fire Red] By Jpan.

I'd post the link but my post count is too low. It is on this website under the sideshow showcase.

I've heard there was a hack of the site and many files were lost?
    Does anybody happen to have the file for this rom hack? I've been looking all over, yet have had no luck in finding an alternate source. I would have posted in the thread but it is locked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wolfboyft

Years
  • Also, with disassembly, you can very easily (automatically) cram 16,384 bytes worth of data into any bank in the ROM, thanks to labels and the easy removal of fixed sections. (Generations 1 and 2 only, obviously. It'll be a bit easier with generation 3 disassembly once that's in a hack-worthy state.) So yeah, it's worth it. I ditched a project that I had like 4 extremely low-quality rooms with plenty of bugs in after about 2 months of fairly-solid work. Remade it in pokecrystal, and I made so much more progress (not room-wise, I was distracted by far more interesting things like my action menu) in another 2 months, from what I remember.

Worth it. Trust me.

Plus there's an entire IRC channel for it on Freenode: #pret.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • Also, with disassembly, you can very easily (automatically) cram 16,384 bytes worth of data into any bank in the ROM, thanks to labels and the easy removal of fixed sections. (Generations 1 and 2 only, obviously. It'll be a bit easier with generation 3 disassembly once that's in a hack-worthy state.) So yeah, it's worth it. I ditched a project that I had like 4 extremely low-quality rooms with plenty of bugs in after about 2 months of fairly-solid work. Remade it in pokecrystal, and I made so much more progress (not room-wise, I was distracted by far more interesting things like my action menu) in another 2 months, from what I remember.

Worth it. Trust me.

Plus there's an entire IRC channel for it on Freenode: #pret.
    If one simply modifies a gen III game by mostly remapping areas and scripts new stuff, I don't think disassembly really provides anything the game-specific hacking tools are already capable of doing. If you want to change lots of original functionality, you're probably better off by using disassembly instead of coding the routines straight in arm/thumb assembly, or by compiling C code into the rom. However, only few do this and they are most likely already aware of the possibility of using disassembly instead of hacking the rom file.

But I totally agree with the fact that using disassembly for editing red, yellow or crystal is worth it. I didn't think this way at first when they started to work on pokecrystal because for me rom hacking had always been not just programming, but also challenges in trying to work with limited rom bank space. And to tell you the truth, I thus didn't see disassembly editing being hacking at all - it's pretty much programming and nothing else. However, it makes doing some things way easier (especially with GB games) and makes it possible to come up with unique solutions that would be more or less undoable by simply editing the rom file straight.

wolfboyft

Years
  • If one simply modifies a gen III game by mostly remapping areas and scripts new stuff, I don't think disassembly really provides anything the game-specific hacking tools are already capable of doing. If you want to change lots of original functionality, you're probably better off by using disassembly instead of coding the routines straight in arm/thumb assembly, or by compiling C code into the rom. However, only few do this and they are most likely already aware of the possibility of using disassembly instead of hacking the rom file.

But I totally agree with the fact that using disassembly for editing red, yellow or crystal is worth it. I didn't think this way at first when they started to work on pokecrystal because for me rom hacking had always been not just programming, but also challenges in trying to work with limited rom bank space. And to tell you the truth, I thus didn't see disassembly editing being hacking at all - it's pretty much programming and nothing else. However, it makes doing some things way easier (especially with GB games) and makes it possible to come up with unique solutions that would be more or less undoable by simply editing the rom file straight.

Yeah, it depends if you want a development challenge or a more advanced outcome game.

And for sure, I've only ever really experienced generations 1 and 2 in disassembly, so I get that there might be disagreements around generation 3.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • Yeah, it depends if you want a development challenge or a more advanced outcome game.
    Not that I would be interested in continuing with a rom file either anymore.. But that's pretty much the only option there is (unless I wasted lots and lots of time porting everything over to pokecrystal).

Back