• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Game actually worth the buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrath

Pokemon Pirate/Water Trainer
Years
  • I've been giving this a lot of thought and it comes down saying that I doubt very many of us would/should even bother buying the new pokemon games. Like really, the visuals are nice but all that they seem to give us now is nothing more but new pokemon and new region. They're beating a dead horse.

Does anyone actually feel like buying another pokemon game on the DS when the 3DS is aroud the corner AND they're just repackaging the same old thing with new graphics (the smokes and mirrors of gaming :/ )

I think I'll be skipping this and wait for some real improvements. Many have high hopes for these but I don't. I need more the new regions, new pokemon and 3 v 3 battles. Nothing worthwhile has been announced and looking at the track record pokemon has, I don't expect more to be announced. Why was it not E3 material? Because pokemon is doomed at this rate and Black and White are not looking good.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I've been giving this a lot of thought and it comes down saying that I doubt very many of us would/should even bother buying the new pokemon games. Like really, the visuals are nice but all that they seem to give us now is nothing more but new pokemon and new region.

The whole pokemon series is basically that though. You can't really expect us to stop buying something when we bought the same thing every other time.

locoroco

Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS
    Years
  • exactly if we stop now maybe we should have stoped years ago. ill buy the game definately the graphics are enough to make me buy the game so i really cant say much about this.

redsaber5859

Banned
    Years
  • Exactly, the series is based on catching the monsters and Animal abusing forcing them to fight, however the new pokemon do look bad... However gen 4 is WAY too old we need new matierial, and if you are so whiney about the new regions and pokemon don't play the game

Mayfan24

Pokemon Trader
    Years
  • just curious what else could they do to pokemon? besides what they did with pokemon snap it doesn't seem like there's a lot you could do with it

Hydrath

Years
  • Exactly, the series is based on catching the monsters and Animal abusing forcing them to fight, however the new pokemon do look bad... However gen 4 is WAY too old we need new matierial, and if you are so whiney about the new regions and pokemon don't play the game
    Trying not really trying to come off as whiney, just frustrated that they are giving us the some old game, they could at leats improve upon it better. The concept of catching monters and battling with them should always remain but surely more could be done that theya re holding back, not to mention the fatc theya re releasing it on the DS when the 3DS is just aroun d teh corner (spring 2011.) The game will in fact be short lived comepared to d/p. If they really wanted to make the game last they should have least waited to release it a year later for teh 3DS. But aside the console it's being released on I would like to see more then new pokemon and region. Facts remain that many gamers are getting bored of pokemon. I cannot judge too much on the games since not much has been released but I can make a good enough assuption that it will feel like a repackaged gen 4 game.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • I have to disagree, I'll buy the games because I love Pokemon. If new a new region, new pokemon and characters don't do it for you then that's fine. Personally I crave the thought of exploring a new region, the new Pokemon just add even more to that adventure. I'll enjoy these games for the same reason I enjoy replaying the old ones, my love for Pokemon. And since this is a new region (my favourite part of all games) my first play through will no doubt be awesome.

Plus it adds more than just new regions and Pokemon if you look at it the right way. I mean why do any of us go see sequels to movies we previously loved? And why do many of us enjoy and love those sequels (*coughToyStory3cough*)? Same reason. The plot, characters, familiarity, mystery, charm whatever. The older games, as fun as they are and as much as I love them, can get stale when played too many times in a row. New games get rid of that staleness, at least for me. Pokemon are a big part of the game, and are not just small additions. I mean if you're ignoring Isshu, the new Pokemon and 3 on 3 you're ignoring a large part of the games which I understand is why you're being drawn away from the games, but for some of us we're happy to keep coming back for those very reasons.

Edit: The console thing again won't bother some of us as much as you, as alot of us are just happy to be getting it. 3DS can have 6th gen. Plus if a games good enough it'll stand the test of time. My friend and I play Pokemon Stadium on the 64 frequently!
    4th gen also outsaled 3rd gen. I'm pretty sure it's still a very healthy franchise which continues to draw in new fans. Where I live I saw a resurgance in Pokemon with the release of DPPt and HG/SS. My High School was full of Pokewalkers. And Pokemon is aimed more at the casual gamer than anyone else so it's probably not going to have a huge following the likes of COD players in what not. =/

And on a side note, I think 5th generation looks amazing. I like almost all the new Pokemon released (barring maybe 1 or 2) and the game play footage has me drulling. Buying the games really just comes down to ones interest and opinion on the games.

Last edited:

Hydrath

Years
  • just curious what else could they do to pokemon? besides what they did with pokemon snap it doesn't seem like there's a lot you could do with it
    lots actually, actuall SEE thee pokemon in the wild and look for them. Away from the 2D sprites and into some real 3D (or cell-shading) a new way to progress throught other than gyms, new ways for pokemon to react outside of battle, choosing your region, dungeon system, join team rocket, ect.

New region, new pokemon is fine enough if they add more. Sof ar its been the same plot over and over.

Kid start a pokemon adventure
    Kid has a rival
    Kid joins pokemon league
    Kid messes with Team *name here*
    Kid saves world
    Kid beats Elite Four
    Kid sits around eating popcorn :/

guess which gen I was describing?

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • The primary reason why Pokemon hasn't seemed to change much is because...Well, looking at some of the other threads on this board, most PokeFans don't like major changes, and adding something as trivial as 3v3 causes major uproars to occur.

Kid has a rival
    Kid joins pokemon league
    Kid saves world
    Kid beats Elite Four

Generation III.

redsaber5859

Banned
    Years
  • Trying not really trying to come off as whiney, just frustrated that they are giving us the some old game, they could at leats improve upon it better. The concept of catching monters and battling with them should always remain but surely more could be done that theya re holding back, not to mention the fatc theya re releasing it on the DS when the 3DS is just aroun d teh corner (spring 2011.) The game will in fact be short lived comepared to d/p. If they really wanted to make the game last they should have least waited to release it a year later for teh 3DS. But aside the console it's being released on I would like to see more then new pokemon and region. Facts remain that many gamers are getting bored of pokemon. I cannot judge too much on the games since not much has been released but I can make a good enough assuption that it will feel like a repackaged gen 4 game.

LOL
    The 3ds wasn't even announced when GF decided to make the games, they were tired of waiting do they made Black and White, also GF hasn't even signed up to make games for the 3ds yet, however they will probably when the third in the series comes out, and what do YOU think they could add? More minigames? Last time we asked for that we got voltorb flip, can I stop typing, it is rather hard on an iPad

Hydrath

Years
  • LOL
    The 3ds wasn't even announced when GF decided to make the games, they were tired of waiting do they made Black and White, also GF hasn't even signed up to make games for the 3ds yet, however they will probably when the third in the series comes out, and what do YOU think they could add? More minigames? Last time we asked for that we got voltorb flip, can I stop typing, it is rather hard on an iPad
    Many games have been canned and ported to a future console after release, such as animal crossing and starfox adventures

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • Adding on to what my first post said.

lots actually, actuall SEE thee pokemon in the wild and look for them. Away from the 2D sprites and into some real 3D (or cell-shading) a new way to progress throught other than gyms, new ways for pokemon to react outside of battle, choosing your region, dungeon system, join team rocket, ect.

New region, new pokemon is fine enough if they add more. Sof ar its been the same plot over and over.

Kid has a rival
    Kid joins pokemon league
    Kid saves world
    Kid beats Elite Four

Personally I think some of your suggestions would do away with Pokemon popularity. A dungeon system? Seeing Pokemon in the wild? It seems like you're trying to make it an MMORPG...

And what Niprop says is true. The Pokemon Fandom hates change.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • Trying not really trying to come off as whiny, just frustrated that they are giving us the some old game, they could at least improve upon it better. The concept of catching monsters and battling with them should always remain but surely more could be done that they are holding back, not to mention the fact they are releasing it on the DS when the 3DS is just around the corner (spring 2011.)
    It's not like their recycled formula has been failing the franchise since its debut. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

The game will in fact be short lived compared to d/p. If they really wanted to make the game last they should have least waited to release it a year later for the 3DS. But aside the console it's being released on I would like to see more then new pokemon and region.
    Why would they want to postpone the release of the new games for the 3DS? Yes, the 3DS is supposedly coming out in early 2011. Things like that get postponed all the time. Not to mention it's a terrible move to release a new generation of games along with a new console not too long after a lot of people just bought the DSi. "Hey, we know you just spent $200 on a brand new console, but why not spend another $300 to get another new console just so you can play the new Pokémon games! They're in 3D which makes it all okay! /swims away in ocean of money"
    Oh, and if they waited to release B/W for the 3DS, people would complain that they've been stuck with DPPt and HG/SS for too long and want new Pokémon games. There's no winning.
    Facts remain that many gamers are getting bored of pokemon. I cannot judge too much on the games since not much has been released but I can make a good enough assumption that it will feel like a repackaged gen 4 game.
    Um, how can you even begin to state that as fact? Have you interviewed every single Pokémon fan in the world? Myself, along with a lot of my friends, have been playing since its debut, when we snuck our GBCs to recess. Now we play when we take a break from class to eat lunch. If we're not bored of it now then they've got to be doing something right.

Hydrath

Years
  • The primary reason why Pokemon hasn't seemed to change much is because...Well, looking at some of the other threads on this board, most PokeFans don't like major changes, and adding something as trivial as 3v3 causes major uproars to occur.

Generation III.
    hmm, maybe the popcorn bit gave it away too easy

.:FreshX:.

Captian Obvious...
    Years
  • Honestly, Gen 4 and Gen 5 poke look like crap, How many more Pokemon can they create? But i did read an article saying that in the Red/Blue games, After you beat a certain trainer she says that their should be a Pokemon that is fat and pink with a floral patern...Hmm... that shoulds familier. (Describing Munna) >.>
    Maybe they made 1000 pokemon and decided to release them slowly...
    Just saying

Hydrath

Years
  • It's not like their recycled formula has been failing the franchise since its debut. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Why would they want to postpone the release of the new games for the 3DS? Yes, the 3DS is supposedly coming out in early 2011. Things like that get postponed all the time. Not to mention it's a terrible move to release a new generation of games along with a new console not too long after a lot of people just bought the DSi. "Hey, we know you just spent $200 on a brand new console, but why not spend another $300 to get another new console just so you can play the new Pokémon games! They're in 3D which makes it all okay! /swims away in ocean of money"
    Oh, and if they waited to release B/W for the 3DS, people would complain that they've been stuck with DPPt and HG/SS for too long and want new Pokémon games. There's no winning.

Um, how can you even begin to state that as fact? Have you interviewed every single Pokémon fan in the world? Myself, along with a lot of my friends, have been playing since its debut, when we snuck our GBCs to recess. Now we play when we take a break from class to eat lunch. If we're not bored of it now then they've got to be doing something right.

OMG!!!! HOW MANY TIMES MUST IT BE SAID! THE DSiXL IS NOT A NEW CONSOLE, IT A REDESING OF THE DSi WHICH IS THE UNGRADE OF THE DS LINE. the DSi is like the 1.5 of the DS line the only real difference is that the DSi can play DSiware games, its been 6 years since a true successor came out.

I understand that ytou may not be getting bored with current pokemon gaming, but ya what? Should live in a bubble, I don't expect the pokemon games to die over night nor do I expect one person's preferrence to reflect everyone else's. I don't expect every I meet say they are bored of pokemon. Doesn't work like that. I go to more then just PC as a gaming forum and I ahve found that the majority of pokemon gamers I've met all agree they will continue to play pokemon but still think gamefreak isn't keeping up with the demand.

So no I don't expect pokemon to die. I just feel Gamefreak should step it up, even if were to remain on the DS for the rest of gen 5 they should at least add a whole lot more then what they did with gen 4.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    And what Niprop says is true. The Pokemon Fandom hates change.

The fandom basically hates everything that isn't a complete work of art that will be known for the rest of humanity. Remember, these are the same kinds of people that complain about Firered and Leafgreen not changing enough.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • If you're not that psyched about the games, this is the right thread. If you want to list aaaall the things you're disappointed with so far, go here. We don't need any more negative threads because nothing really comes from them but arguments and speculation that belongs elsewhere.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back