• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are fashion shows giving off bad messages to younger females?

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
  • that being said, the scale that men are targeted either by the fashion industry (or whatever industry/lifestyle you're referring to in your post, it's 4:30am so you'll have to forgive me) is not close to the level of targeting women face by the same industries
    men most certainly do have problems when it comes to body expectations and ideals and feel the same amount of stress as many women do, but it's important to remember that men aren't targeted with the same... how do i put this, vigilance as women are

do you get what i'm saying? i'm not attacking i just feel like the 'and men too' thought needed to be... reevaluated

I disagree here. While men don't really have as much of a fashion presence in comparison to women, men are portrayed extremely unrealistically in most modelling positions, probably even moreso than women. Most male models are chiseled to the extreme and have very good proportions and the like, while most female models are thin but not particularly body-built. It's far easier to attain and maintain a thin body than a muscularly pronounced body.

Even the most healthy of men find it difficult to maintain that sort of body, while the "thin" look of women is not nearly as difficult to attain. I had a "thin" "model" body through my late teenage and early adult years without even really trying, and quite a few women can do this as well. The same cannot be said for the male expectation.

It almost kind of feels like you're claiming that one problem is more important than the other because of your own perception of its influence. Ultimately, both problems matter, and both can be lampooned in a similar way (portraying people as realistic as opposed to idealizations), so why even bother making the differentiation? Ultimately I think they balance out since while males are usually set up to a physically difficult to attain self image, women tend to be more photoshopped, which means that the "desired characteristics" can be in their cases unobtainable unless you have the proper proportions to begin with. Either way, it's extremely difficult and leads to huge self esteem issues, and telling people that their problems should be reevaluated in terms of whether or not it's genuine is only going to make problems worse.

Honestly, I find the fashion industry far less damaging than the modelling industry because of the fact that many fashion options are available to people of all sizes, and while it may not be advertised as much, there are plenty of great options for many sizes. The modelling industry on the other hand sets up both sexes for an unrealistic expectation of what they should be.

Years
  • 1. Both of you made the same incorrect assumption that I mentioned the average size of women to imply that that should be the average size of models. I mentioned the average size of women as a counterpoint to Lotus' "I'm the same size as models and they make me feel better about myself, therefore it's an attitude problem, not an actual problem" - because the majority of women are very emphatically not the same size as models, and thus have a very different experience when they see them.

2. Lotus, I'm not sure why you assumed that disagreeing with having all models identical sizes that are in a practical sense unachieveable for most women is "demonising perfectly health women for the sake of the self esteem of the overweight". I would like to point out that all I'm talking about is wider representation of body types, and you've turned it into being demonized. How is not having every single straight-size model in existence be within 2 sizes of you imply demonization?

Firstly, my body size is not impractical/unachievable. I eat things I want to eat and don't go out of my way to exercise and I maintain my weight. However, I don't have lazy habits (if I can walk somewhere I walk there), I don't over eat and I eat a varied diet. The only thing that stops overweight women from being my weight is the difficulty of breaking habit.

With regards to my comment about demonisation, by targeting the models for their body shape you are demonising it. This goes deeper than this debate, thin, healthy people are being attacked for being thin. Overweight women are bemoaning the fashion industry for making them feel insecure about themselves, so they go out an insult thin women for not being "real women" or their favourite catchphrase "Real men want curves, only dogs want bones". I have curves, thank you very much. How exactly is this behaviour and attitude helping?

If you want to take action against something in the fashion industry, perhaps focus on the post processing (i.e. photo shopping) done by the advertisers or magazines, which does have serious implications. This isn't contained to the fashion industry though, as a number of celebrities are guilty of doing this to their own photos.

With regards to your comment on model sizes. Fashion designers don't make multiple pieces of the same design to match all the potential sizes of model there may be. They will make one piece in one size and if you don't fit in it you can't model it. As a result the scope of sizes of women will be limited.

Where it is catalogue modelling, this is different as there should be enough stock of sizes to enable selection of different women. Whether they chose the same size because the bulk stock of bookable models is that size or because that's the size they want to display, I'm not sure. Either way, there are always plus size models which can range from size 10 to 18 to account for other sizes.

3. Why do we even need an "ideal"? The "where should we set the ideal weight to make women who don't match it feel terrible about themselves" argument is bunk from the start. Instead, we should remove the idea of an ideal. It's very clearly based in societal norms and not based in some base human nature that loves skinny women, considering in the past overweight women were seen as more attractive due to many societal reasons that differed by culture.

I explained why the "ideal" is used. Everyone wants to be better than everyone else, so they're trying to sell that perception. Without the desire to be like what the fashion adverts show you, what's there to make you purchase their products? Clothing will be reduced to necessity. Even if you show women of different weights they're still going to be beautiful women.

I agree that the ideal of thin women is not ingrained. I discussed this previously in a thread this year. People want to be better than everyone else, today that means money and fame. The rich and famous dictate what is attractive. If you go through the past perceptions of beauty, you will find that they follow the general appearance of the rich.

This also rests on another bunk argument - that if the media shames overweight women by making sure they know that they are not beautiful, they are not the ideal, and they need to change to match it if they want to be beautiful, those women will change. Studies have shown that women feeling shame about their weight do not work to change it, on the whole - they eat more, they're more depressed (which causes weight gain), they're more sedentary. I know from my own personal experience that I began to lose weight when I began to love my body and want to take care of it. I did it from a place of comfort with myself, not shame. When you hate your body, why would you take the time to make it healthy? The focus on health regardless of weight and the focus on loving your body go hand in hand.

I agree that media is the problem with women having body issues. I don't agree that the fashion industry is the problem. As an example, below is a cover from OK magazine (not a fashion magazine). Trashy women's magazines feed off your insecurity, and I think anyone with body image issues needs to stop reading this filth.

Spoiler:

On the other hand, I looked through some Vogue magazine covers, which is a more fashion focused magazine, for comments on body shape and found the below. It does comment on model's great figures, but right below that it mentions an article about fashion to flatter "every figure", which is a positive article.

If you cycle through Vogue covers in general they focus on the new season looks and not on body shape so this isn't particularly common from what I saw. They look more like the second and third image. I persoanlly don't see how this is feeding body image problems.

Spoiler:

On the other hand, here are some more OK magazine covers. These magazines are the ones sending the messages that make women expect they should be able to lose 7 lbs in 7 days, or even 10 lbs in 10 days.

Spoiler:

This is a bit of a side note that was brought up with "everyone else just has an attitude problem" and will likely be brought up by that previous point - blaming a sociological trend in opinion on the people is willfully ignoring the point of sociology. There is a reason why a majority of people in a certain culture share the same opinion about something. When there's a crack in the dam and the river is getting through, you don't tell people to start trying to collect the water coming through and throw it out to solve the problem; you find the crack and fill it. There's a reason why when an entire class is failing, people look to the teacher and not the students. We are all influenced by our surroundings, well before we can even talk or fully understand what we're seeing. Sociological studies on opinions that don't make sense in your personal worldview are not there for you to say "well I think that opinion is stupid so I'll just get the 90 million people to be less stupid and solve the problem!" It's there to point out that there is a root cause for all of this, and if we find the root cause and fill the crack, then opinions will naturally shift. In society, the "cause" is much more complex and multifaceted. Models are certainly not the only cause, and allowing women of all sizes to be put up as desirable will not overnight cause people to change their opinions. However, it does contribute and stemming one crack is better than telling the river that it shouldn't flow.

Sure, but I still don't think the fashion industry is the problem, just the easy target.

I disagree here. While men don't really have as much of a fashion presence in comparison to women, men are portrayed extremely unrealistically in most modelling positions, probably even moreso than women. Most male models are chiseled to the extreme and have very good proportions and the like, while most female models are thin but not particularly body-built. It's far easier to attain and maintain a thin body than a muscularly pronounced body.

Even the most healthy of men find it difficult to maintain that sort of body, while the "thin" look of women is not nearly as difficult to attain. I had a "thin" "model" body through my late teenage and early adult years without even really trying, and quite a few women can do this as well. The same cannot be said for the male expectation.

I agree with this. Men have it worse. The "ideal" body shape for a woman, as I mentioned above, is very easy to maintain. To keep the muscular physique men are portrayed with requires constant training.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Pleeeeeease try not to make your post by editing it seven times. Every single one is a notification.

Firstly, my body size is not impractical/unachievable. I eat things I want to eat and don't go out of my way to exercise and I maintain my weight. However, I don't have lazy habits (if I can walk somewhere I walk there), I don't over eat and I eat a varied diet. The only thing that stops overweight women from being my weight is the difficulty of breaking habit.

Your metabolism, digestive system, area of living and many other things are not shared by many women. For example, where I live in Chicago, there are many things within walking distance, as well as public transportation I'd walk to. Where my family lives in New Jersey, there is a total of one convenience store within walking distance - and no sidewalks to get there. A single parent may not have the luxury of walking with two toddlers to the store. Someone with a slower metabolism may eat the same things you do and still gain weight or plateau at a higher weight/size. Programs that help impoverished families eat often focus on pasta and rice at the expense of fresh fruits and vegetables due to cost; I know when I was a poor child I ate a great deal of "garlic noodles" (plain pasta plus margarine, garlic salt and parmesan). Even if you can make healthy food out of some food, often the poor are poor due to lack of education, which contributes to obesity. This is why I used the word "practically" - while it is technically possible for the vast majority of women, it is impractical for them because their lifestyle and body structure does not match yours 100%.

With regards to my comment about demonisation, by targeting the models for their body shape you are demonising it. This goes deeper than this debate, thin, healthy people are being attacked for being thin. Overweight women are bemoaning the fashion industry for making them feel insecure about themselves, so they go out an insult thin women for not being "real women" or their favourite catchphrase "Real men want curves, only dogs want bones". I have curves, thank you very much. How exactly is this behaviour and attitude helping?

Why does having more models of other sizes imply this? I get just as angry about those posts as you do, as a feminist. All women are women. Although smaller women have better job opportunities, are seen as smarter by default, and are the idealized standard of beauty, insulting them doesn't change that.

If you want to take action against something in the fashion industry, perhaps focus on the post processing (i.e. photo shopping) done by the advertisers or magazines, which does have serious implications. This isn't contained to the fashion industry though, as a number of celebrities are guilty of doing this to their own photos.

I am capable of holding interests in both issues at the same time, fortunately.

With regards to your comment on model sizes. Fashion designers don't make multiple pieces of the same design to match all the potential sizes of model there may be. They will make one piece in one size and if you don't fit in it you can't model it. As a result the scope of sizes of women will be limited.

This can be changed, this is not a problem.

I explained why the "ideal" is used. Everyone wants to be better than everyone else, so they're trying to sell that perception. Without the desire to be like what the fashion adverts show you, what's there to make you purchase their products? Clothing will be reduced to necessity. Even if you show women of different weights they're still going to be beautiful women.

What's there is the idea that someone like you can also look beautiful in those clothes.

I agree that the ideal of thin women is not ingrained. I discussed this previously in a thread this year. People want to be better than everyone else, today that means money and fame. The rich and famous dictate what is attractive. If you go through the past perceptions of beauty, you will find that they follow the general appearance of the rich.

That definitely applies to our countries based in capitalistic ideals.

I agree that media is the problem with women having body issues. I don't agree that the fashion industry is the problem. As an example, below is a cover from OK magazine (not a fashion magazine). Trashy women's magazines feed off your insecurity, and I think anyone with body image issues needs to stop reading this filth.

Spoiler:

On the other hand, I looked through some Vogue magazine covers, which is a more fashion focused magazine, for comments on body shape and found the below. It does comment on model's great figures, but right below that it mentions an article about fashion to flatter "every figure", which is a positive article.

If you cycle through Vogue covers in general they focus on the new season looks and not on body shape so this isn't particularly common from what I saw. They look more like the second and third image. I persoanlly don't see how this is feeding body image problems.

Spoiler:

On the other hand, here are some more OK magazine covers. These magazines are the ones sending the messages that make women expect they should be able to lose 7 lbs in 7 days, or even 10 lbs in 10 days.

Spoiler:

The studies I'm referencing do not show magazine covers that say "lose weight!!!" They're talking about just looking at the models that are all the same size and shape. Did you notice that every single cover you posted were young, thin celebrities? You're looking at things from an extremely surface level perspective; everyone is like you so if they're not thin they're not trying hard enough, as long as magazines don't say "you're fat" on the cover they don't send the message that thin is ideal through their choices in covers and models. Unfortunately, society is full of subtext, and if you just gloss over it like that you ignore the vast majority of the message society sends. I don't have to tell someone "I think you're fat" if I suggest they might want to pick the vegetables over the potatoes every lunchtime.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Fashion itself is SO separate from what is giving people - let's be real, mostly women - bad self-esteem or low body confidence. Fashion can be really empowering, it flatters our favorite features and body parts, and can be used to subtly downplay our least favorite parts. Fashion really is SUCH an amazing art, used to accent our bodies and convey our personal taste and style. Ugh, honestly just typing this makes me want to go clothes shopping lmao.

Anyway, fashion shows are definitely not giving off bad messages to young females. The models in a fashion show are only used to showcase the designer's piece. That's literally it. The model isn't the centerpiece, it's what she's wearing that is going to attract attention.

That being said, there is definitely a serious issue of self-esteem and self-confidence in Western society - particularly with women, and particularly with young women. Fashion is not the cause in any way, though. Media and advertisements are what's to blame here, companies make a lot of money telling their consumers that they aren't good enough and won't be good enough until they have "this latest, greatest new product!" It's all a big marketing ploy and women are targeted to become oh-so desirable by looking 10 lbs lighter than they already are and 10 years younger.

(Glamour) models usually take a ridiculous amount of criticism because of their use as imagery of what is the "ideal" shape or look. It is a look that takes a lot of effort for most people in today's society to obtain, and if you're genetically predisposed to that body shape then lucky you, because not everyone is. It's all just a nasty cycle of media/advertisement taking advantage of the innate desire to be the best that you can be. Bettering yourself in any way is a beautiful thing, but if the message is being conveyed in a tone that implies that you're not good enough or worthy enough as you already are, then that's when it becomes malicious.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    i think a lot of you are getting confused between the fashion industry and fashion/glamour itself

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Really bothers me when people say that I shouldn't have any problem finding clothes because I'm a small size. Like as if people who are a size 0 are just automatically written off as being the "ideal." I actually have MORE of a difficult time than those who are bigger because of my stature.

I wear a 00 or a UK size 2 now. I used to wear a UK size 10-12 or so, which is US size 14, at my heaviest. I'm 4'10" tall. A lot of people would say "oh you're underweight now" but I'm not (I've checked with my doctor, I have semi-annual full blood counts because I like to make sure I am getting all my micronutrients and that my hormones are all in check, I eat extremely healthily now and I exercise regularly.)

But sorry, I digress... going back on topic:
    A lot of things that I see on the runway, I can't wear because of my body shape. I have small shoulders, many straps and shirts are too big and unalterable. I have hips but a small waist so I can't fit into kids clothes, and the waistline on many coats, skirts, and jeans are too wide and baggy. XS is often too big. I always have to shorten hemlines of jeans, sleeves, etc. It is actually really hard for me to find clothes that fit 'properly.' (Shoes are even another story because I wear size UK2/ US 4.5) I'm just petite.

So it really bothers me when people say that we have to "ban size 0" because then I'd literally have nothing to wear.. and I'm 100% healthy. I'm not a "rail thin" model. I have curves. I have breasts. I'm just pocketsized and I think it's unfair to lump a lot of women together just by a number size and that's why I agree with Lotus that a size 0 is not some sort of unachievable thing. If anyone has seen my posts in the picture thread I would think that they would agree that don't look unhealthily thin.

All in all yeah.. I reiterate what mochi says. Models aren't the centerpiece.. and at least for me.. I always focus on the clothes.

Just wanted to expand my thoughts :3

Years
  • Pleeeeeease try not to make your post by editing it seven times. Every single one is a notification.
    I know that, but I'd rather my post was error free than to save you closing out a few extra notifications. :P

Your metabolism, digestive system, area of living and many other things are not shared by many women. For example, where I live in Chicago, there are many things within walking distance, as well as public transportation I'd walk to. Where my family lives in New Jersey, there is a total of one convenience store within walking distance - and no sidewalks to get there. A single parent may not have the luxury of walking with two toddlers to the store. Someone with a slower metabolism may eat the same things you do and still gain weight or plateau at a higher weight/size. Programs that help impoverished families eat often focus on pasta and rice at the expense of fresh fruits and vegetables due to cost; I know when I was a poor child I ate a great deal of "garlic noodles" (plain pasta plus margarine, garlic salt and parmesan). Even if you can make healthy food out of some food, often the poor are poor due to lack of education, which contributes to obesity. This is why I used the word "practically" - while it is technically possible for the vast majority of women, it is impractical for them because their lifestyle and body structure does not match yours 100%.

This discussion is getting a bit off-topic, but I do still want to respond...

Some thin people have metabolisms that allow them to eat excessive amounts of food with no impact on their weight, but a lot of thin people don't have overworking metabolisms. I certainly don't. I went overseas for work for two weeks once, and gained 6 kgs (13 lbs) in that time frame.

All of your excuses for people being overweight are just that: excuses. Unless you have a rare disease/disorder that makes it impossible to lose weight, the only thing stopping them is themselves. The moment people stop making excuses and do something about it is when things will change. People need also be aware that losing weight isn't necessarily hard, but it's not an overnight process and you need to hold commitment.

To add, 60% of Australian adults are overweight or obese. I don't know what it's generally like in the U.S.A. but in Australia:

1) There are footpaths everywhere, and where there aren't footpaths is generally in rural or residential areas where you can easily walk on the road or the side of the road. I live on a hill that has limited flat land for roads. The main road to get to many houses is a two-way single lane road with no shoulders or footpaths. People still walk up it to get home. Unless your cousins in NJ need to walk on a busy highway to get to their convenience store, I don't see why they need the footpath in the first place.

2) Fresh fruit is not that expensive, you can often buy 3 kgs of oranges for $3. In Australia the tax on purchases (GST) does not apply to "necessities", which include vegetables and fruit. You can even buy a cabbage for $4, which you can just keep eating steamed for a whole week (seriously, the veggie that just keeps on giving). Eating fruit and veggies isn't necessarily expensive so long as you make sure to buy what's in season.

3) 60% of the Australian population is not in poverty. I can't comment on the issues facing those that live below the poverty line, but that will not account for most of the cases of obesity.

The studies I'm referencing do not show magazine covers that say "lose weight!!!" They're talking about just looking at the models that are all the same size and shape. Did you notice that every single cover you posted were young, thin celebrities? You're looking at things from an extremely surface level perspective; everyone is like you so if they're not thin they're not trying hard enough, as long as magazines don't say "you're fat" on the cover they don't send the message that thin is ideal through their choices in covers and models. Unfortunately, society is full of subtext, and if you just gloss over it like that you ignore the vast majority of the message society sends. I don't have to tell someone "I think you're fat" if I suggest they might want to pick the vegetables over the potatoes every lunchtime.

I understand that, but that doesn't mean the message is coming from somewhere else and being projected on to the fashion images. An interesting study would be to do the same thing on women that aren't jaded by all the media telling them that's the ideal and showing them the fashion images to see if they get the same response. I'd be very surprised if they went straight for the negative.

The magazine covers I showed are conditioning women to feel body conscious, so of course when they see other things in their environment they're going to have that in the back of their mind. Plenty of TV commentaries and other similar trashy magazines do the same.

I still don't think fashion is the villain here.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
  • This was something I wanted to post a topic on after seeing an article following the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, which aired on CBS last Tuesday. Now, I didn't watch the show, because one, I was busy making notes for my finals, and two, the TV in my dorm building was static-y so I didn't really have a good opportunity to. But I did see an article on Aol.com that, aside from discussing the musical performances present that night, briefly mentioned how (just like every other year) there were viewers who "jokingly admitted sobbing into junk food" over the images of the women present.

Now, it feels a bit weird that this topic is being made by a guy, let alone one who didn't even watch the show, but this is something I felt was worthy of discussion because what I think those girls that tweeted things like that feel is that they feel they're inferior because they're not as "pretty" as the people they're seeing on their screen. There are many people who wonder why there are younger girls who always think they're ugly, and an event like this I think kinda tells me why.

Would you say that things like the fashion shows are influencing girls negatively in considering themselves ashamed of their image? Discuss.

The fashion industry is extremely damaging to young women. Guys can be ugly, but God forbid a girl is ugly. We basically use fashion to teach girls to be ashamed of the way they look. It's especially bad for overweight girls because some of the big-name brands don't carry clothing for plus-sized women. Victoria's Secret doesn't have plus sizes. Neither does Abercrombie and Fitch - the CEO is prejudiced against fat girls and made it clear that he doesn't want fat girls wearing his clothes. Luckily there are some stores that cater to heavier people. Models these days tend to be corpses - it's not normal for a 5'10" woman to be a size zero.

Years
  • What about beyond body issues?

The importance of designer clothing lending itself to overspending to achieve a higher status at a prices of debt/insufficient spending elsewhere or non-spending and feeling inadequate. Everything is "so last season" for a reason --obsolescence. Discard the "old" and buy the new with every season purchases of new blouses, dresses, pants, clutches, pumps, glasses, jewelry, dozens of creams, makeup, styling products, or some other shimmer gloss pump xtreme volume vitality burst.

Further, should art withstand the test of time, to an extent? Fashion comes and goes, there are no established elements of beauty, they are always changing. There is no purpose but to have change for its own utility, thus forging relentless transient relativism and beauty as one institution.

The art of fashion is not an art because of this underpinning of obsolescence of the clothes and the concepts behind the clothing. A garmet that is considered beautiful and interesting ubiquitously one day, is then considered out-of-style and unattractive the next day. Art involves itself with any institutions of which there are beautiful elements and methodologies to understanding and achieving that beauty. Painters adopt vastly different styles of painting, they admire other styles, adopt elements of their beauty, omit others, and develop artwork that adds to the underlying elements. The artwork that precede the artwork of the artist are also beautiful and inspiring, not in the contrived "retro" respect either. Artwork from the past remains beautiful rather than mere "vintage" trends.

Fashion is different in this respect and mainly because of the societal underpinnings of fashion throughout human history. Signifier of class/wealth, and an investment in personal social capital. Thus, obsolescence (uniqueness disguised as creativity) is a subconscious tool used to compete in social capital; either spend, change, and keep up, or don't.

I'd rather see other industries flourish in place of the wealth and talent invested into fashion, whereas fashion/cosmetics/jewelry I'd like to see contract as an industry. Social capital ought to transcend gaudy and unrealistic fashion designs, which are bizarre and different for their own sake.

I am not saying fashion is "bad" rather there is too much emphasis on appearance-spending and the time-investment that accompanies the emphasis.

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
  • I think the sooner people realize that both men and women models portrayed in fashion modeling (or anything like it) are unrealistic for the average person to aspire to look like, the better off this society would be.

I don't look at a Ken doll or some guy on the cover of a magazine with ripped abs and think that I should try to be like them. It's unrealistic, and as soon as I realized that, the sooner I stopped feeling sorry for myself. Honestly, it's not the fashion industry's fault, so stop blaming them. It's all about an individuals mindset. If you think you have to look like a super model in order to love yourself, then I feel sorry for you. Everyone is unique, so trying to copycat another is ridiculous.

Anyway, I think the fashion industry is fine, and that none of this would be happening if parents taught their kids more about loving themselves.

Years
  • I think the sooner people realize that both men and women models portrayed in fashion modeling (or anything like it) are unrealistic for the average person to aspire to look like, the better off this society would be.

I don't look at a Ken doll or some guy on the cover of a magazine with ripped abs and think that I should try to be like them. It's unrealistic, and as soon as I realized that, the sooner I stopped feeling sorry for myself. Honestly, it's not the fashion industry's fault, so stop blaming them. It's all about an individuals mindset. If you think you have to look like a super model in order to love yourself, then I feel sorry for you. Everyone is unique, so trying to copycat another is ridiculous.

Anyway, I think the fashion industry is fine, and that none of this would be happening if parents taught their kids more about loving themselves.

THIS.

I do think it's rather over-the-top that people feel the need to be as good as (insert person being portrayed here) and feel crappy about it, but it happens because they're reminded that they're...not that person.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • I believe to a certain degree the parents are responsible. I remember seeing a little girl of about 6 or so walking around in clothing that befits a more. . . 'sophisticated' woman. That means to say, that if you aged her about 15 years and she was standing on a corner, someone would be giving her money to do. . . things. Parents shouldn't shirk their duty and give their parenting responsibilities to the boobtube.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think the sooner people realize that both men and women models portrayed in fashion modeling (or anything like it) are unrealistic for the average person to aspire to look like, the better off this society would be.

it's all very well and good to say 'love yourself and you'll be free :)' but you're truly underestimating the reach & impact of the beauty industry if you think self-love can wipe out multiple generations worth of carefully orchestrated influence

Reactions: Nah

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
  • it's all very well and good to say 'love yourself and you'll be free :)' but you're truly underestimating the reach & impact of the beauty industry if you think self-love can wipe out multiple generations worth of carefully orchestrated influence
    Like I said, it has nothing to do with the industry itself, but individuals and how they think. If you're always trying to be someone else, then you can never truly love yourself, therefore making you feel as if you're not attractive enough or whatever have you. They market makeup and clothes with models because it's supposed to give off the vibe that if you use or wear their product, it will make you beautiful. Granted, that can make some of us feel pretty shitty or inferior, but accepting the fact that those models go through hours upon hours of training, dieting, possibly even surgery, and using hundreds of creams and makeups just to look how they do ultimately solves the problem in my eyes.

You either put in the effort that they do or just accept the fact that you are you and you're not supposed to be the same as anyone else.

Years
  • Well that is true, but part of the thing is, we know that the chances of us ever getting to wear the clothing present by the models is very impractical. But although we get this message that we should try to put in the same effort that these ladies do, not everybody is capable of doing that.

Saki

The Fire Fox
    Years
  • I am just going to go out on a limb and say that I like the VS Fashion Show. I like what it markets (in terms of product) and I personally see fashion as art. I think it's empowering to take something as uncomfortable, and unpleasant to wear as a bra and make it empowering and beautiful for those who are wearing it and those who will see it on them!

BUT, I do think the VS fashion show, and fashion in general can improve to accommodate all body types (both men and women). I understand that some people dislike fashion but in reality it's just art! I think if you want to follow it and present yourself to the world in a well put together way everyday then that is positive, to judge people based on it is not.

Keep in mind that there are women of the "VS model" figure, and they should be made to be beautiful BUT people shouldn't be told that they need to be that way in order to be beautiful. I know this is another subject as well but I don't believe in embracing anything but healthy and natural. If someone is naturally skinny, so be it, but people aren't naturally obese except under very specific circumstances which require (usually) hormonal treatment, etc. I don't judge people on their weight, but I do hope that people strive to be healthy! I have my personal preferences for my weight and for my spectrum of attraction but that doesn't mean I cannot love a certain person with a specific body type etc.

I don't think the concept of fashion is rubbish, but I do think the capitalist side of it can be!

I am just going to go out on a limb and say that I like the VS Fashion Show. I like what it markets (in terms of product) and I personally see fashion as art. I think it's empowering to take something as uncomfortable, and unpleasant to wear as a bra and make it empowering and beautiful for those who are wearing it and those who will see it on them!

BUT, I do think the VS fashion show, and fashion in general can improve to accommodate all body types (both men and women). I understand that some people dislike fashion but in reality it's just art! I think if you want to follow it and present yourself to the world in a well put together way everyday then that is positive, to judge people based on it is not.

Keep in mind that there are women of the "VS model" figure, and they should be made to be beautiful BUT people shouldn't be told that they need to be that way in order to be beautiful. I know this is another subject as well but I don't believe in embracing anything but healthy and natural. If someone is naturally skinny, so be it, but people aren't naturally obese except under very specific circumstances which require (usually) hormonal treatment, etc. I don't judge people on their weight, but I do hope that people strive to be healthy! I have my personal preferences for my weight and for my spectrum of attraction but that doesn't mean I cannot love a certain person with a specific body type etc.

I don't think the concept of fashion is rubbish, but I do think the capitalist side of it can be! I also really do not agree that all fashion preys on people with low self esteem, it's not that vicious even if they're using low self esteem as a marketing aspect, imo.

Last edited:
    Back