• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

youtube is unwatchable at 720p

zevarius kerensky

i bid my timberwolf in defiance of yer claim!
Years
recently google switched the format 2 HTML5 and now video framerate drops or doez not even play at all on 720p, wat can i do 2 fix this?

Years
Well, how much CPU/RAM is your computer using when trying to watch a video in 720p? Is it capable of handling 720p videos or not?

zevarius kerensky

Years
its capable of over 720p, but youtube refuses 2 let the videos play properly from the HTML5 update

using task manager, it clocks out at 95 - 100, 720 or 480, but this has been common ever sence i got this pc in the 1st place

i recently updated my firefox browser as it wuz severely out of date if this helps, it ran all videos fine at 1080 and 720 pre update

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
Years
Can you try to see if it works in a different browser?
Also, do you happen to know the specifications of the computer?

zevarius kerensky

Years
Spoiler:

tried another browser aside from firefox, internet explorer plays it just fine, but the lag is still noticable in some areas

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Spoiler:

tried another browser aside from firefox, internet explorer plays it just fine, but the lag is still noticable in some areas

I'm going to guess that YouTube is insisting on using VP9 for playing videos on anything that isn't Internet Explorer. VP9 doesn't have widespread hardware acceleration support, so pretty much every single VP9 video has to be decoded using the CPU. The Pentium E5200 is likely too slow for the task without any assistance from the GPU, so that might explain why Internet Explorer plays the videos smoothly - Internet Explorer supports only H.264, for better or worse.

Compare these two Pentiums to see how much the baseline performance has increased in the years in between. Consider either changing YouTube so that you're opted out of VP9 codec, use an extension to automatically prevent YouTube from playing videos using the VP9 codec, or get a new system, since Pentium-AE boxes give you a ridiculous amount of performance compared to what you have right now while still being as stingy as you can in terms of budget, even without overclocking.

(Really, on a CPU that weak, you really should stick with Internet Explorer 11 and/or Microsoft Edge.)

CPU + motherboard upgrade should give you a massive boost in terms of CPU and GPU performance. Intel HD Graphics is a whole lot better than the old motherboard graphics, and the CPU is, well, awesome enough on its own. (Get a Z97 motherboard if you really want to overclock, but I think most H97 has unofficial OC support.)

Last edited:

zevarius kerensky

Years
I'm going to guess that YouTube is insisting on using VP9 for playing videos on anything that isn't Internet Explorer. VP9 doesn't have widespread hardware acceleration support, so pretty much every single VP9 video has to be decoded using the CPU. The Pentium E5200 is likely too slow for the task without any assistance from the GPU, so that might explain why Internet Explorer plays the videos smoothly - Internet Explorer supports only H.264, for better or worse.

Compare these two Pentiums to see how much the baseline performance has increased in the years in between. Consider either changing YouTube so that you're opted out of VP9 codec, use an extension to automatically prevent YouTube from playing videos using the VP9 codec, or get a new system, since Pentium-AE boxes give you a ridiculous amount of performance compared to what you have right now while still being as stingy as you can in terms of budget, even without overclocking.

(Really, on a CPU that weak, you really should stick with Internet Explorer 11 and/or Microsoft Edge.)

CPU + motherboard upgrade should give you a massive boost in terms of CPU and GPU performance. Intel HD Graphics is a whole lot better than the old motherboard graphics, and the CPU is, well, awesome enough on its own. (Get a Z97 motherboard if you really want to overclock, but I think most H97 has unofficial OC support.)

upgrading my pc is not a possability at this time, neither is getting a new machine :/

any other fixes i can try?

Back