• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokemon Lightning Yellow

Years
  • i've never actually played any of the stadium games so don't know how they work. I wouldn't be opposed to looking at adding something like that in though if you could explain how it works

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    well as I said in my original post the Yellow version was the first game to use those specialized rules, the first Stadium was released soon after Yellow and had three different tournaments with those rules. In the Yellow version the Cable Club Colloseum had those special rules for official tournament pla as one was allowed only three pokemon for the battle with levels and pokemon that varied based on tournament. There were also height and weight restrictions as well in some cases.

The Pika Cup from stadium 1 was a tournament for pokemon between levels 15-20, while it on the surface appeared to be a easy competition it later ends up being comparable to standard competitive battling tournaments as pokemon in the Pika Cup in the later rounds were stronger, often packing the strongest TM moves on top of it. The restrictions in Pika Cup for both the original Yellow and Stadium 1 are as follows:

Spoiler:

The Pika Cup meanwhile is a bit different, it was home to the unevolved pokemon (of the time) and had a level limit of 25-30. Its a much easier tournament than the Pika Cup but it presents it's own challenges to watch for. The rules of the tournament:

Spoiler:

The Poke Cup is much different than the other two, it's recognized as the official pokemon league tournament, on the same level as the league tournaments from the anime. All pokemon tend to be very strong, from levels 50 to 55. Any pokemon except ubers can attend, which in the first gen ment the first 149. The other rules are as follows:

Spoiler:

Pokemon Stadium 2 introduced two new forms of tournament, the Egg Cup and Challenge Cup. The Challenge Cup worked very similar to the Battle Factory in which you have a set of preselected pokemon with randomized movesets, except you couldn't swap pokemon for others after each battle. I'll only cover the Egg Cup since the other one doesn't need an explanation. The Egg Cup rules are similar to some way to the Petite Cup from stadium 1 but they took it to another level.

Spoiler:

I'm sure these rules would be impossible to impliment. But since the Pika, Petite, and Poke Cups were originally in Yellow for the cable club colloseum it was worth mentioning for actual in-game facilities somewhat akin to Unova's World Tournament facility in Driftveil City and the Battle Fronteir. And before I saw the current demo goes up to Victory Road I thought the Poke Cub would work as a pre-elite 4 tournament specifically but I think that'd be unlikely given the stage the game is in at this time since you likely got everything else set beyond that. A such all these tournaments would more than likely be ideal as post-game challenges, as the original yellow only had completing the pokedex (and with it catching Mewtwo) as the after-game events. As such the added content releases after the elite four, if any, would suit this premise best.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2015
    Is there a new release available with Victory Road fixed as of yet? I'm eager to finally kick some Elite Four butt!

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Are you planning to add support for a female character a la FR/LG?

Yellow was more or less based on the anime, and the anime has a male as the main character after all so I dunno if offering a female for any reason is logical given this is ment to be a somewhat faithful remake of the original yellow game.

Years
  • Yellow was more or less based on the anime, and the anime has a male as the main character after all so I dunno if offering a female for any reason is logical given this is ment to be a somewhat faithful remake of the original yellow game.

Good point, it's just that my sister wants to play as a female character. But I guess if desbrina can handle playing as Red, so can she.

Also, the GTS doesn't work; attempting to trade makes the game crash.

Last edited:
    Years
  • At the moment there's no plan for adding a female playable.

I'll have a look at the gts, it was working so hopefully its something

Years
  • Ideas for the next version:
    -Upgrade to the Essentials v14.
    -Include the Pokégear and recording your voice for your Trainer card like the recent versions of Pokémon Essentials.
    -Allow for Wi-Fi battling.
    -Vs. screens before Trainer Battles.

Years
  • The current version i'm working on is already on version 14, but i've got a section which isn't working for some reason which i'm currently looking into

As yellow didn't have a poke gear, its not available in this, at least till you get the national dex after beating the elite four and going to the sevii islands

While wifi battles would be great, i don't think it'd be easy to implement without major modifications.

If someone has vs screens for the trainers i'd happily add them I'm

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    The current version i'm working on is already on version 14, but i've got a section which isn't working for some reason which i'm currently looking into

As yellow didn't have a poke gear, its not available in this, at least till you get the national dex after beating the elite four and going to the sevii islands

While wifi battles would be great, i don't think it'd be easy to implement without major modifications.

If someone has vs screens for the trainers i'd happily add them I'm

Good to know of the current status of the update. Is there a chance of updating the character sprite? While Yellow still followed red and blue's story personally it would have been nice if the main character sprite looked a bit more like Ash than Red all things considered. It would have helped to separate the two characters, regardless of the fact the name choice is entirely the player's. Plus the game had updated character sprites for other characters based on the anime like with Misty in her overalls for example, would make sense for a more Ash-like sprite for the main character.

If there's no chance of that thats ok, but try to make the animation of the sprite look a bit better because since it's apparent the characters are built upon B/W era sprites and as such it's a little awkward seeing the characters move. The main characters of the B/W era were mid-teens, while Red/Ash were ten when they started so it ends up looking really weird to see the characters move as they're sorta experiencing a child-in-a-man's body scenario.

Finally, on the matter of the tournaments I suggested some time ago I hope you don't feel any unneeded pressure regardless of you wanting to add them or not, I only suggested them since the post-game stuff in R/B/Y was hugely lacking and I figured I brought it up as a means to add a solid post game idea.

Years
  • I'll have a look at the gts, it was working so hopefully its something
    You can deposit Pokémon and take them back just fine, but if you seek a Pokémon and say yes to when it asks you if you want it, you get this:
    cloud.openmailbox.org/public.php?service=files&t=fe8db53d08a10fb8179e9b80936afcaf
    Also, I don't know how to Friend Trade. I've already lost a Jigglypuff trying to with my sister. Help!?
    If someone has vs screens for the trainers i'd happily add them in
    Don't you already have them?
    lightning-yellow.com/SS/0.19/vs.png

Also, I have another idea. How about you add in the Pikachu cosplaying feature from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire? For a Pikachu-focused game such as this, it would fit in quite well.

Finally, I think Brock's Onix is too difficult for the first Gym Leader (especially since you have an Electric-type starter). In the original Yellow, he was Level 12, and he only knew Tackle, Screech, Bide, and Bind, so it was pretty easy. But he's a huge challenge now that he knows Rock Tomb! (Oh, and by the way, you made Brock's Onix female instead of male.)

And Pikachu should disappear if it's put in the Box or Day Care. Right now, it doesn't disappear and the game crashes if you examine it. And Pikachu should be tradeable like the original game.

Also, the nurse at the Pokémon center should look more like this: (Got from the Spriter's Resource)
    cloud.openmailbox.org/public.php?service=files&t=60f81f982c4e507d97a6334d7ff83698

Sorry for the long post, I just have a lot of feedback!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Good to know of the current status of the update. Is there a chance of updating the character sprite? While Yellow still followed red and blue's story personally it would have been nice if the main character sprite looked a bit more like Ash than Red all things considered. It would have helped to separate the two characters, regardless of the fact the name choice is entirely the player's. Plus the game had updated character sprites for other characters based on the anime like with Misty in her overalls for example, would make sense for a more Ash-like sprite for the main character.

If there's no chance of that thats ok, but try to make the animation of the sprite look a bit better because since it's apparent the characters are built upon B/W era sprites and as such it's a little awkward seeing the characters move. The main characters of the B/W era were mid-teens, while Red/Ash were ten when they started so it ends up looking really weird to see the characters move as they're sorta experiencing a child-in-a-man's body scenario.

Finally, on the matter of the tournaments I suggested some time ago I hope you don't feel any unneeded pressure regardless of you wanting to add them or not, I only suggested them since the post-game stuff in R/B/Y was hugely lacking and I figured I brought it up as a means to add a solid post game idea.

If you have a version of ash that'd work that's fine, that red sprite is the only one i have at the moment. I know theres issues with its animation but its low on the priority list at the moment

As for the tournaments, its something i'll get added at some point. In this game theres going to be post game content with the sevii islands and johto

You can deposit Pokémon and take them back just fine, but if you seek a Pokémon and say yes to when it asks you if you want it, you get this:
    cloud.openmailbox.org/public.php?service=files&t=fe8db53d08a10fb8179e9b80936afcaf
    Also, I don't know how to Friend Trade. I've already lost a Jigglypuff trying to with my sister. Help!?

Alright, thats a totally different error than what i'm getting when testing, thoguh i'm not even getting that far, seems essentials 14 broke a few things

Don't you already have them?
    lightning-yellow.com/SS/0.19/vs.png
    I only had the screens for the gym leaders, though i have downloaded the x/y trainer versions and will get them added

Also, I have another idea. How about you add in the Pikachu cosplaying feature from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire? For a Pikachu-focused game such as this, it would fit in quite well.
    Was actually thinking about that a couple of days ago but the place where i got the x/y sprites from who are also working on oras sprites doesn't have them finished yet

Finally, I think Brock's Onix is too difficult for the first Gym Leader (especially since you have an Electric-type starter). In the original Yellow, he was Level 12, and he only knew Tackle, Screech, Bide, and Bind, so it was pretty easy. But he's a huge challenge now that he knows Rock Tomb! (Oh, and by the way, you made Brock's Onix female instead of male.)
    I'll have a look at the level/moves issue.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    If you have a version of ash that'd work that's fine, that red sprite is the only one i have at the moment. I know theres issues with its animation but its low on the priority list at the moment

As for the tournaments, its something i'll get added at some point. In this game theres going to be post game content with the sevii islands and johto

Well I don't do spritework myself but I do have one suggestion. There is an actual custom Ash sprite used in another pokemon essentials game called the Pokemon Movie Game, if you speak to the maker there he might contribute the use of his Ash sprite. There's also the rom hack maker who does the Ash Gray hack who has a Ash Sprite as well. I reccomend the Ash Gray Ash sprite since the back sprites upon initiating a battle look better than the ones in the afforementioned movie game sprites.

And good to hear about how the post game features johto and the sevii islands that will rectify the whole thing I was hitting on for the tournaments.

Years
  • Its gained using happiness and if eevee has learned a fairy move which it learns at level 9 and 29

Years
  • Have you fixed Brock yet? My sister is having a really hard time on him!
    Also, in FireRed and LeafGreen, there was a healing lady on the first floor of the S.S. Anne. But there isn't in Lightning Yellow, and it's a pain to go back to the Pokemon Center! Could you add her back in?

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Wow well done, and glad the Ash sprite works so well by the look of things.

Years
  • Red's Ash outfit looks good! I'm excited to see more! Just two things...
    1. Does Pikachu disappear now when put in the box or daycare? And is it tradeable?
    2. Can you explain how to friend trade?

By the way, here's some VS sprites from Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire for Bug Catchers, etc.
    http://www.spriters-resource.com/3ds/pokemonomegarubyalphasapphire/sheet/64113/

Thanks, and here's to more of Lightning Yellow!

Last edited:
    Back