• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lets play it again!

Sirfetch’d

How often do you replay your Pokemon games? Do you restart frequently or do you have one save file and never erase it?

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I've played all my games many times, except for Y. I never replayed Y because I still use my game to breed. I have more than 600 hours of gameplay. I don't want to re-start this game. But I do want to play this generation again :)

drfaustfaustus

Not a real doctor
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2018
    I can't restart my games, I just get way too attached to my teams. I end up just finding ROM hacks to play afterwards.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    In Red, I restarted my file several times (though I backed up most of those files), but since then, I've never restarted my "main" file. I grow too attached to my teams, and I haven't found a good way to back up the data for recent games, either (pretty much anything from gen III on, actually; if anyone has any reliable methods, let me know). I've started buying extra copies of the games so I can play them again, which is nice, though there are certain games I definitely play more than others.

It will be interesting to see how I feel when I get to the end of my current playthrough of VC Red. The idea is that I'll use it for challenges, and trade my Pokemon over to a storage cartridge when I finish the game, but we'll see how I feel when I get to the end of it, and how attached I've become.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I know I'll end up putting in so much work breeding, etc that I wont want to delete my save until everything is transfered to another game. I think I will wait unitl S&M (hurhurhur) come out. Then I can shift everything onto that and feel free to restart X or AS when I feel like it. I'd buy the other versions but I think it'd be a waste of money for me.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Oh my goodness yes, I restart my games all the time, except for whatever game is the most recent, and thus has all my Pokemon and shinies. I'm usually always playing through a Pokemon game.

Mahjarrat

Banned
    Years
  • I restart all of my previous Pokémon games quite frequently. Whenever I stop playing Pokémon, and then come back to it perhaps a few months or years later, I always find it necessary to replay the older games to get back into the franchise. However, I don't think I'd ever reset my ORAS game save file, at least not until Sun/Moon is released.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • I buy a copy of both games, so I always have one that I use as my "main game" and I never restart it. The other copy I will restart as often as I like. :) I just restarted Alpha Sapphire the other night!

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I don't tend to restart my save, I worked hard on getting the pokemon I want in the game also I don't have a access to pokebank for backup

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    i restart my games all the time, the only exception being diamond because i have a ton of pokemon breed on that game. gen II, III, and IV i played the most hours on... god knows how many times i restarted those games

MirraJade

Kimono Girl
    Years
  • I buy a copy of both games, so I always have one that I use as my "main game" and I never restart it. The other copy I will restart as often as I like. :) I just restarted Alpha Sapphire the other night!

This is me 100% I love to nuzlocke on my second copy after I complete my first and I always put so much time and effort in my first copy that resetting it would just be too painful

Years
  • I usually keep my files many years later. Took me two years to restart X for a challenge run, and I only did that because I moved almost everything I had to Alpha Sapphire. Normally I won't restart them for at least three or four years when I've emptied out the cartridge and moved whatever I had to the newest game. Usually at times when I don't have much else to play and want to do a nuzlocke or NFE run. x'D

_Dud_

I can't C#
    Years
  • The only game I've restarted was Pokemon Omega Ruby, since I had a 24 hour journey to get through I decided to play through it in one shot, which I had never done before. I transported 6 Pokemon with egg moves onto the reset game, and played it not having to worry about what Pokemon I wanted on my team and stuff. Other than that, I'm not a fan of restarting games as I could be playing others which I have not tried yet.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I do restart a lot. @_@ In Pokemon X, I'm only in Santalune City since I restarted not too long ago. My save file in OmegaRuby was also a restart as well, but I've gotten further in that save file than in my previous one anyway, haha.

In my opinion, DPPt, HG/SS and BW2 have the highest replayability value. I've played through Hoenn and Kanto for far too much, but since I know my way through those games, I can complete them pretty quickly if I play consistently enough.

Years
  • I barely restart new files, likely because I have built up tons of collections on most of my games and I feel like I don't want to part with those Pokemon collections.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Me? Replay games? -hides Crystal that he's currently playing- Why would I ever do that? -stuffs multiple copies of gen III games under the bed- I just get them and move right on! -deletes posts from Challenges of my many gen V adventures- Nope. Never. -stands in front of shelf, hiding the view of all the Pokemon game boxes-

8bitpokemon

I always restart my gen 6 and 5 games :P I store all my pokes in the bank, so whenever the new games come out, I've got an OP team.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen yesterday
    Before the Pokémon Bank I never would restart my games. I was way too attached to the teams I made. These days it's easy though because I can just transfer them to the bank and then start over as many times as I like.

Back