• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does ash owe his experience to team rocket?

ihyatoeu

Sage
Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2022
    This is something i've been wondering for some time. Did the creators make it so ash earns more experience than his rivals due to team rocket bothering him every single episode? Or is it completely unrelated?

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • I'd imagine that TR does help Ash gain experience, but it hasn't been stated.

It makes a lot of sense that Ash gains a lot of experience from Team Rocket. If you think about it, TR appeared more and more up to the DP series. Ash's skills continued to peak as the series went on. Many would argue that he was a fairly experience Trainer during DP, which was when TR appeared in about every episode. During BW, when Ash seemed to lose some of his experience, TR also appeared considerably less often than they did in previous series.

There's certainly a correlation. I don't think it's intentional, though. TR isn't really the best punching bag for Ash and his Pokémon because they are so easily defeated, and their main purpose is to serve as antagonists, usually for filler plot.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Based on what several characters say in the episodes, including the original series, probably not (Misty and Brock frequently state, when Ash mentions frequently beating Team Rocket, that it isn't much of an accomplishment to actually mean anything for Ash's Pokémon).

Back