• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Teachy TV

Years
  • In FireRed and LeafGreen, there was a Key Item that you could obtain known as the Teachy TV. Teachy TV was essentially an item that had various basic tutorials within the item that could be viewed on demand anytime within the game after obtaining it.

Did anyone here use the Teachy TV item at all, whether just for fun or actually learn from it?

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I never actually used the Teachy TV. I had already played core series games before so the basic tuturials wouldn't do much for me. On the other hand I spoke to just about every NPC, some of wich tell you very basic game mechanics :P I might go play around with the TV for fun though after reading this XD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't ever remember using Teachy TV to learn anything, sadly; when FireRed and LeafGreen were released, I was already pretty familiar with all their mechanics and whatnot thanks to playing Ruby and Sapphire beforehand, so there was literally nothing for me to be taught.

Though, I did turn the device on every once in a while just to see how they do things--for fun. Music that it had was sort of jolly, which I liked!

Years
  • The one thing I can always remember doing with Teachy TV was just pulling up a video to hear the "Follow me!" music, haha

Etherion

I like the idea of the TV, but never really learned anything from it :3

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Teachy TV, how nostalgic. Can't believe I'm this old now. :v

I've only used the Teachy TV just to watch it for fun. I mean, I already played Sapphire before starting Fire Red. In fact, the only one that actually teaches me in FRLG is the Help screen that you get when you press L/R, and that I only open for the move effectiveness. :v

The music is really jolly though, so I normally watch it just to listen to the music. :v

Years
  • I never used it. It provided really basic information I was already aware of, having been playing since R/B and all. But it was a pretty cute little key item so I'll give it that.. just not something I needed, lool. Seemed more like an item for children playing for the first time.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Lol I remember, but I never used this item :P I already played the games for years when FR/LG were released, so I already knew a lot of stuff.

I can imagine that the Teachy TV might have come in handy for the younger audience who just started playing FR/LG (or Pokemon games in general):)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I never recall using the Teachy TV for anything, as I already knew what to expect going into a Pokemon game. Also even if I did have a question I don't think I would consult the Teachy TV, wasn't it hard to navigate? I'm having a vague feeling that it was.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2016
    Nobody uses it. I used to watch it when I was super bored, but if you know even a little about Pokemon, you will not need to watch anything on the teachy TV

Years
  • No thanks, although newer players might have liked having guides like this I never really used it for anything. It wasn't until XY that we were brought back something like that in the form of the Adventure Rules, except those were even more pointless.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • By the time FRLG came out, I didn't really need the Teachy TV, but I'm really glad they made a tutorial within an item. You didn't have to go through painfully slow mandatory tutorials. Didn't know something? Check out the Teachy TV. Honestly, they should bring it back.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • You didn't have to go through painfully slow mandatory tutorials.

Except on how to catch a Pokemon. You can never escape that, aside from back at GSC if I'm not mistaken, where it's optional.

At least RSE did it in a really subtle way that I have never noticed 'til years later.

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
  • sense leaf green was the first Pokemon game I ever beaten (first game ever was emerald) I sucked until I used this item It taught me basics and I went from there

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2015
    Idk why but I always thought the teachy TV would be an actual TV and play Pokemon Battles like it did in the first episode of Pokemon. I was so disapointed XD

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I personally think Teachy TV is quite fun for a tutorial segment. Even though I already know the basics when I got it, it's still enjoyable to watch, it's like watching a demo of how it's done.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • Used go watch it for in purpose of fun to check the working of it and it was good for those who are learning to play pokemon

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I looked at the item when I first got it, and watched the videos once for completionist/entertainment value, but I found it fairly useless overall. FRLG weren't my first games (I started with Red), and the information the device gave seemed like it would only really be useful for new players.

Years
  • I recall watching this when I did that brief play of FR/LG. It is at least something useful for newcomers to Pokemon since it has a lot of tutorials, but it's a shame that we never had a similar feature return for later games.

Back