• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A metagame without Salamence - Salamence is now uber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
    • Seen today
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74979

For those who are unaware Salamence was voted uber by a OVERWHELMING majority.

4176947392_958998791f.jpg

To be honest im not bothered "ill win anyway" lol but either way i really hope guys like Heracross usage rise with one of its biggest checks gone poof (heck Shaymins usage sky-rocketed on suspect o_O). Ill also kinda like fact that mences obvious replacement, Nite is slower so its quite alot easier to deal with. On the flipside, dragonite is gonna get quite a bit more usage if suspect is anything to go by. Lastly people will stop using that useless easy to stop tri dragon tri steel metagame weak garbage lol. Oh and STALL STALL STALL STALL STALLLLLLL. ;D

Discuss & your thoughts. :]

Last edited:

JeXsus™

I don't need an avatar!
    Years
    • Age 31
    • NY
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    Interesting, I never saw him as a threat. I guess Dragonite is going to take the spotlight huh. Oh well one less Pokemon to worry about.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
  • :O :O :O

well that explains the nite user on shoddy. guess that means ill be using flygon more often :\

man, there goes offensive teams.

shroud

It's almost time...
    Years
  • Well it wasn't really much of a threat in terms of stall. If it starts off with a Dragon Dance, the rest of the set is pretty predictable. More than likely, it would spam Outrage which would give those who have BP Scizor a couple free turns to set up.
    Heatran may not carry dragon pulse or HP Ice anymore, and shaymin is higher up on the suspect ladder now?

Anyways, I predict that Celebi and Shaymin would be used more and shaymin may as well be promoted. However, the usage of bulkier steel types may be used less in the OU Metagame unless you count leads such as Metagross or Foretress.

polkop

LSHMSFOAIDMT
    Years
  • It is bad that he change to uber.
    He wasn't too hard to beat.
    Max HP and DEF Swampert who use avalanche had always OHKO him.
    Swampert survive even after 2 DD (If Spikes isn't on)
    I never really use it and I have never been sweep by a Salamence.
    It is bad for me, I will have 1 less kill per battle :(

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I have a strange feeling the metagame is going to go into extremes. With stall becoming more common, balanced teams will find it harder to break them and will either join stall and attempt to outstall them or try and break them with offensive teams.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
  • I just had a thought, would it mean there's an open spot for a new dragon when B/W comes in to change it up?

That Kibago better come with 2nd Stage evo

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I just had a thought, would it mean there's an open spot for a new dragon when B/W comes in to change it up?

That Kibago better come with 2nd Stage evo

The whole metagame is open when a new generation comes in to change it up. That's why Garchomp took top dog spot without kicking any of the Gen III dragons out. Well, before it got Uber'd.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Basically the obvious "Shaymin, Heatran/Grass/Water defensive combos, Dragonite, and stall teams will get more common" as well as the equally obvious "Scizor will probably keep falling along with maybe some other Steel-types." Scizor also recently lost Latias to Ubers, another Pokemon it did okay against (though honestly Latias could easily beat it but it was a decent back-up), and honestly Scizor had been growing less effective anyway. A drop in Scizor usage is, to me, something that would be long overdue.

That being said, I don't think that it will be like the suspect ladder was. It took a very long time for the Latias/Salamence metagame to stabilize, so a metagame without its two former most dominant and centralizing forces will also take a fair amount of time to figure itself out, I'd imagine. However, I do wonder if that will ever truly take place given how people will abandon DPP once B/W come out. I'll probably build a team in a few weeks to get myself involved again. Hopefully this is a good metagame that will keep us all involved.

Lastly, stall is gross.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    A metagame without Salamence will be interesting. It saddens me to see it go, but maybe it's for the best. Bring on Dragonite, the ORIGINAL.

As someone said before, stall will be more common. True. I expect some sort of Infernape rise with Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave to beat the common trend of Scarftar these days, as well as Swords Dance/Nasty Plot, since our premier stall breaker has now gone. Grass types will see more usage, especially Shaymin, who can now run Hidden Fire without fear of Dragon's walling the set, since there is less. Water types will be starting to run more Grass/Electric moves to counter Water pokemon, since Dragonite isn't as much as a threat as Salamence.

It will be interesting to see Salamence in Uber's, with Rayquaza running rampant everywhere. Who knows? Maybe that Intimidate and BSE 100 Speed will come in handy.

Possibly one good thing for this is there will be less Steel types on teams. With Latias and Salamence around, you needed two Steels to sponge attacks. Now with weaker dragons, that's not required as much. More variety in teams? Hmmm...

Let's just see. :)

Pokemon Μaster

Pokemon-Master #win-11 #loss 2
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2010
    Hes not officialy uber yet though right? Im assuming the difference will be minimal due to black&white bringing a new metagame, possibly ending entry-hazzards? who knows,

Tyrant626

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • o-m-guanno

I can't believe salamance is uber! Next Flygon is gonna be banned for it's "stealth rock resistance", then Dragonite for it's "bulk" ,and finaly Kingdra
    for it's " 1 and only weakness to Dragon", which by this point will then be non-existent! What the BBWAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Soon, Altaria wiil be the new OU threat :(

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    I can't believe salamance is uber! Next Flygon is gonna be banned for it's "stealth rock resistance", then Dragonite for it's "bulk" ,and finaly Kingdra
    for it's " 1 and only weakness to Dragon", which by this point will then be non-existent! What the BBWAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

I highly doubt Dragonite and Flygon being suspected. Dragonite's speed is 20 less than Salamence, meaning it's more easily countered, not to mention lower attack stats. (even if only by 1/10 attack/spec attack wise). Flygon doesn't have the power of Salamence at all, so it won't get tested. Kingdra has to set up to provide some sort of threat, otherwise it's a weaker Flygon with weaker attacks. Salamence could set up in your face, or hit hard right off the bat. More often than not, it either swept teams, or allowed you to set up another pokemon to sweep.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Honestly, I'm not as shocked about this change or any change in 4th Gen metagame since 5th gen is exactly 2 months away.

I didn't have too much trouble with Salamence (I often abused it on my teams ever since the Suspect test began).
    It did force me to carry a Steel type and an Ice-attack user in every single team I made. Maybe with it gone, people will be free to experiment with other things. I certainly would like to see Shaymin become OU and Dragonite become more used.

Too bad I don't have WiFi where I'm currently working, but whatever.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm pissed about this. Although it was admittedly easy to beat if you can survive a DD Outrage, I see it as a pretty effective sweeper for OU. So much for offensive teams.

I'm back, if you haven't noticed

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back