• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your favorite VG soundtrack?

DoomDoom

The one who Dooms
Years
  • What the title says.
    I gave this one some thought, and I finally came to my answer. Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack has to be one of the most polished soundtracks out there, that provoke a plethora of feelings and I think the games would not be the same without them....so SMG is for me.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    It has to come down to a toss up between Final Fantasy 6 and Metal Gear Solid 3 for me.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to my favorite video game soundtrack, that is a tough decision to make. The reason being I have so many favorites. Course If I was to choose just one I would pick one of the following: the soundtrack of Final Fantasy IV, the Chrono Trigger soundtrack, Star Wars KotOR soundtrack, Halo Combat Evolved soundtrack, or the soundtrack of the first Mass Effect.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • For favourite music from a video game period, the honour goes to NieR. The game was alright but oh my god if I could only listen to one album for the rest of my life, the NieR OST would be a top contender.

But for OSTs that are near perfect in the sense that they really evoke memories of the places in the game, certain scenes, and really just fit the tone of the game well, I think I would have to say Chrono Trigger. I've always loved that soundtrack because it fits the game so well, but even before I played the game, I'd heard some of the music and it felt so nostalgic to me. It's a really great example of music from that era and it still holds up really well today.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    For favourite music from a video game period, the honour goes to NieR. The game was alright but oh my god if I could only listen to one album for the rest of my life, the NieR OST would be a top contender.

But for OSTs that are near perfect in the sense that they really evoke memories of the places in the game, certain scenes, and really just fit the tone of the game well, I think I would have to say Chrono Trigger. I've always loved that soundtrack because it fits the game so well, but even before I played the game, I'd heard some of the music and it felt so nostalgic to me. It's a really great example of music from that era and it still holds up really well today.

Square used to make some really awesome soundtracks back in the SNES/PS1 era. Not to say the new games don't have good soundtracks, but nothing from FF12 onwards has stuck with me, whereas I'd recognise any tune from FF6-9 and CT.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I'd have to go with Halo: Reach but it's tough call against all the Halo OSTs. Marty O'Donnell is a musical genius and the series hasn't been the same without him. Halo CE's opening theme is probably one of the most well known tunes of recent times. Even most people who don't play video games seem to at least give an answer as "That's from that Sci-Fi video game."

Second Place would go to both Kelly Bailey and Joel Neilson for both their contributions to the Half-Life series (my favorite series ever)

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I can say so many OST... but I don't have much time so I'll be quick and choose my Number One...

Ori and the blind forest

This OSt is so pure and awesome, I feel like in an adventure... You should give it a try!!

Years
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. Not a single track I don't like in there.

Megaman 2, Pokemon HG/SS, Gunstar Heroes and some other games also have very memorable OST IMO, might be mainly cause I played them a lot when I was a kid though.

If I were to pick a not so old game though, def Furi.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    That question is actually incredibly difficult to answer, because there's so many OSTs that I really like, often times for different reasons, as well.

On the top of my head, I recall: Chrono Cross, FF6, Xenoblade, Castle in the Darkness, Golden Sun 1+2, Radiant Historia, Cave Story (especially the remade OST from +) and Super Meat Boy.

There's prolly a ton more games with a really great OST that I just randomly forgot.

Years
  • The first Donkey Kong Country probably has my favorite soundtrack. I listen to it all the time; I love how atmospheric some of the songs are.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • Hands down my favorite is The Kingdom Hearts OST.
    I mean from every KH game. But if I had to choose specific Kh game it'll be Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX. The orchestra rendition of the Kh2FM OST was beautiful to me.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Killzone 2 remains a top favorite of mine. Great strings, great and grand scales and a lovely brass section. It's all very haunting and put together beautifully. The wind instruments coupled with the choir really place it a notch above. A true masterpiece that, I feel, stands the test of time. There have been very few games where I will actually purchase the soundtrack, but this was one of them. The allure to it is that it echoes cruelty and provides a heavy air to it that smacks of a threatening ambiance that refuses to allow itself to be ignored. It resounds triumph despite incredible and surmounting odds. Also, one of the most difficult shooters to walk the earth.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think some of my favorite video game soundtracks would have to include far cry 3 blood dragon, starcraft 2, death road to canada, and some of the songs in doom (1993).

Back