• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Genres

Years
  • Like most kinds of creative writing, roleplays have genres - although some of ours are somewhat different to other writing mediums. Common genres of RP we see here are your pokemon journey RPs, adventure RPs and fantasy RPs although many more exist and have been used.

My questions to you then are
    • What kind of genres do you usually find yourself drawn to?
    • What kind of genre RPs would you like to see in the future
    • How often do you step out of your comfort zone and attempt to create/participate in RPs of a different genre.
    • Anything else related to RP genres

Okay, I'm going to stop saying genre now.
    Discuss away!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I kinda feel like I'm known as a hard core journey RPer haha. Half the roleplays I've made (if not more) are journey style in one way or another. I guess it's one reason for why I don't play the actual pokémon games as much these days. I have much more fun roleplaying through the regions.

The negative thing about journeys is that you travel a lot, during which it can get lonesome and most of all take long time. I have yet to see more than one journey roleplay that actually reached its goal and finished (well, it entered region no 2 but that's finishing in my opinion). There are probably some in the Hall of Fame from yeeears ago that "finished", but I wasn't around to see them.

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
    Years
  • I'm always a sucker for good worldbuilding, regardless of genre. It's generally a lot more prominent in fantasy RPs though, which is where I tend to find myself drawn to. Magic and superpowers help add a bit of spice and also generally gives characters a bit of a goal/extra dimension to write about, too, which is always fun.

I've found that I like collaborative RPs/RPs that encourage character interaction and teamwork over competitive RPs or even heavily action-based or open world RPs.

Recently I was thinking that it would be REALLY cool to have a murder mystery RP. Perhaps the GM can pick somebody to be the murderer after the SUs are closed, and you can have a colourful cast of characters all paranoid and suspicious trying to suss out who the killer is. It's not exactly collaborative, but it's exactly the kind of of-the-wall concept that I would be REALLY into.

I know my own preferences, but that's through a whole bunch of experimentation. Give me any RP with an interesting premise or mechanic and I would probably consider joining if I had the time. ^^

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I prefer fantasy RPs! I like diving into a new world - whether its an alternative Earth or a completely new reality to explore. I do think it's a bit tough on the GM (and sometimes the players) as well though, fleshing out something entirely new is a huge commitment and takes a lot of time.

In the future I want to see more competitive roleplays. Honestly, I love them. Danger on the SS Anne was my first attempt at one here, and it went down alright (I think?) until I started University ):. I'd love to bring back, or help someone create, something similar in the future.

@Rika I like journey roleplays but I often find they move too slow for my tastes! It's a real shame, as I like writing new Pokemon trainers but like to have some pace.

Years
  • I'm always a sucker for good worldbuilding, regardless of genre. It's generally a lot more prominent in fantasy RPs though, which is where I tend to find myself drawn to. Magic and superpowers help add a bit of spice and also generally gives characters a bit of a goal/extra dimension to write about, too, which is always fun.

I've found that I like collaborative RPs/RPs that encourage character interaction and teamwork over competitive RPs or even heavily action-based or open world RPs.

Recently I was thinking that it would be REALLY cool to have a murder mystery RP. Perhaps the GM can pick somebody to be the murderer after the SUs are closed, and you can have a colourful cast of characters all paranoid and suspicious trying to suss out who the killer is. It's not exactly collaborative, but it's exactly the kind of of-the-wall concept that I would be REALLY into.

I know my own preferences, but that's through a whole bunch of experimentation. Give me any RP with an interesting premise or mechanic and I would probably consider joining if I had the time. ^^

It's interesting that you mentioned murder mysteries.
    Whilst it isn't exactly a murder mystery, I have a horror-themed RP planned in the near future that might produce a somewhat similar feel.

I've been hanging out to see a horror RP for a long time.

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
    Years
  • It's interesting that you mentioned murder mysteries.
    Whilst it isn't exactly a murder mystery, I have a horror-themed RP planned in the near future that might produce a somewhat similar feel.

I've been hanging out to see a horror RP for a long time.

I said murder mystery instead of horror, because people just aren't too willing to let their character die in an RP. I'm not sure how realistic it might be to pull off, but it would be so cool if somebody tried. xD

I dunno, horror gives me less of an impression of "let's figure out clues and suss people out and find the murderer" and more "ahhh run away there be corpses!" which would still be really interesting to see done in an RP context, but less compelling for me personally to join. xD

Still pretty compelling though, I must say.

Years
  • I said murder mystery instead of horror, because people just aren't too willing to let their character die in an RP. I'm not sure how realistic it might be to pull off, but it would be so cool if somebody tried. xD

I dunno, horror gives me less of an impression of "let's figure out clues and suss people out and find the murderer" and more "ahhh run away there be corpses!" which would still be really interesting to see done in an RP context, but less compelling for me personally to join. xD

Still pretty compelling though, I must say.

I actually worked out a way around that :D

You do raise a good point though, there would probably be less of the mystery element.
    It's very interesting to see what other people are interested in. I can't wait to see more responses :D

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I don't really care about genre that much. If I read the OP and I get an idea for a cool character, I'll join. Some settings are more appealing to me than others, but I could get into anything if I can make up a character that is fun to write for it.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Fantasy all the way for me. As for Pokemon-related roleplays, I prefer roleplaying as a Pokemon than a human so PMD RPs are more appealing to me.

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
    Years
  • I'm drawn to fantasy themed stuff, but I enjoy a wide variety of genres.

In the future, I would like to see some adventure roleplays that are heavily JP-based as opposed to single characters trying to occasionally meet up. It's always more fun to travel as a group!

In the future I want to see more competitive roleplays. Honestly, I love them. Danger on the SS Anne was my first attempt at one here, and it went down alright (I think?) until I started University ):. I'd love to bring back, or help someone create, something similar in the future.

I've been feeling the same way! Maybe something along the lines of a big tournament, or something else that makes things a little more exciting.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • In the future, I would like to see some adventure roleplays that are heavily JP-based as opposed to single characters trying to occasionally meet up. It's always more fun to travel as a group!

I've been feeling the same way! Maybe something along the lines of a big tournament, or something else that makes things a little more exciting.

Both of those would be nice. I enjoy JP-ing with other people and sometimes it is preferred over doing solo posts. I've always thought of something that functioned kinda like Deadman Wonderland would be pretty fun to RP.

I find myself drawn to anything that seems like it would be fun and not too strict with the way things are done and what exactly you do. I haven't really stepped out of my comfort zone though, since everything is in my comfort zone except for pokemon really. I'm too violent in general to rp as a cute fuzzy little monster.

Years
  • Both of those would be nice. I enjoy JP-ing with other people and sometimes it is preferred over doing solo posts. I've always thought of something that functioned kinda like Deadman Wonderland would be pretty fun to RP.

I find myself drawn to anything that seems like it would be fun and not too strict with the way things are done and what exactly you do. I haven't really stepped out of my comfort zone though, since everything is in my comfort zone except for pokemon really. I'm too violent in general to rp as a cute fuzzy little monster.

There actually used to be a Deadman RP a ways back.

I tend to agree with you though that there tends to be a lot more creative freedom in some genres than compared to others.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • There actually used to be a Deadman RP a ways back.

I tend to agree with you though that there tends to be a lot more creative freedom in some genres than compared to others.

Maybe someone could look at bringing that back sometime. Or maybe do some other gladiator life type thing.

Years
  • Maybe someone could look at bringing that back sometime. Or maybe do some other gladiator life type thing.

I have an RP in the works that is both going to do that and give you a pokemon RP that you can take part in even with your tastes xD

and also because I am determined to actually achieve something with that concept/genre

It's in the depths of the planning thread and my hard drive right now, but it will see the spotlight soon enough.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    I enjoy high fantasy RPs, Sci Fi Roleplays, War-related RPs. I especially enjoy RPs that take place in a world the GM created themselves, especially when they put a lot of effort into it. Superpower RPs are great too.

I will never say no to a good sci fi RP. If someone ever makes those, I would most likely join. Also, I've been really feeling a good Avatar or Star Wars RP.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I do have to say that I love supernatural RPs in the superhero sense too though. Making your character unique by giving them strange powers to learn to live with, there's nothing more fun :) Atlantis and Gilded Halls were right up my sleeve, Titans might be a bit too superhero crime fighting style for me ;)

Back