• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Can RPG Maker VX lite make a Pokémon game?

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
  • I haven't used VX lite so take this answer with a grain of salt, but it looks theoretically possible. That said, you'd have to do a lot of legwork yourself to set up something that functions similarly to a Pokemon game rather than a Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest clone.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Interesting; like I said, I'm not familiar with vx lite. With that limitation in mind, you'd have to get creative but you could likely very easily make something similar in gameplay to super pokemon eevee edition, or simply think up a justification for why pokemon battles would function so differently in your game.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • That might be debatable - harsh constraints like that can bring out creativity in some situations(after all, look at the limitations that were imposed for Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow). As long as you knew what you were going into and were willing to scrutinize every detail of your project("Do I REALLY need to use one of my 10 events here on this map?" "does this warrant its own map, or can I put it on the same map as another area", etc), you could make something interesting using the limited tools, and from there you could decide if you wanted to expand upon making a full-fledged game with the paid version.

Back