• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Pokémon type?

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years
  • While I've never REALLY done competitive battling, I can still say this: A duel-type bug/grass Pokémon has so many weaknesses it's not even funny.

SIX weaknesses (fire, ice, poison, flying, bug and rock), two of which do 4x the damage normally.

It's never too late! ;) Give it a go and you won't know what hit you.

Worst type in my opinion - I'll probably be controversial here and say that in Gen V, it's Rock, because it is such a double edged sword. Yes, you have a ridiculously powerful STAB - but these are the cons, namely

1) Your main STAB never hits when it needs to (Stone Edge), making you bite your nails every single time you use it - and it only has about a 50% chance to connect twice in a row. Smack Down just doesn't cut it.
    2) You are defensively weak to things like Earthquake, Surf, Close Combat, Bullet Punch, and neutral to moves such as Volt Switch, Draco Meteor, U-Turn.. Stone Edges from your opponent ( :x ) etc. Heck, you're even weak to Grass Knot if Thunderus-T decides to use it - pretty much everything carries coverage to hit you.
    3) You don't even resist Stealth Rock yourself.

As such, the best users of Rock moves are the ones that don't really need them and can afford the miss - or has something else that they can use to put pressure on your opponent. The only two Rock-type pokemon that come to mind that I see in OU are for instance Tyranitar and Terrakion, and while Terra is the most difficult pokemon to switch into it still misses with Stone Edge when you need it to, making it moot. Close Combat can only go so far :/

Give us a 100% accurate Rock move Gen VI, pleaaaaaaaaaaaase.

Years
  • I think the worse defensive type is Ice, sadly, partly because it's so nice offensively. Give and take I guess. But really common weaknesses to Fire, Fighting, Steel and Rock, (SR) coupled with the fact that Ice only resists Ice, and you've got a bad defensive typing.

And I think Normal is the worst offensively. Being able to deal super effective damage is huge....and they can't do that. Plus, not many normal Pokemon aside from base Arceus possess enough raw power to compensate for that. I'd say Poison, but Toxic Spikes (And immunity to Toxic & T-Spikes) is big, competitively. And now, it's SE to Fairy.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Let's see offensively is probably bug. Not because it's bad, I actually like bug type but the bug moves are pretty bad. There are barely any good bug moves not counting megahorn...

Defensively, Ice. I love ice types but only resisting themselves... that's terrible... It should be resistant to water...

Overall, the worst type in my opinion is dragon DON'T KILL ME NOW. Just kidding I might hate dragon type but I just don't like Normal type. No supper effective against anything and not resistant to anything but ghost ... really? It makes sense that it should be like that but it just sucks

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • Let's see offensively is probably bug. Not because it's bad, I actually like bug type but the bug moves are pretty bad. There are barely any good bug moves not counting megahorn...

I almost said the same on this, but I was told that there are actually some good moves however which we haven't discovered. U-turn in particular has the unique niche of damaging every Pokemon and then switching out, whereas Bug Buzz is just a reliable, accurate STAB move for special attackers. Other than that, I agree that most moves such as Leech Life, Struggle Bug and Pin Missile are such a stupid idea.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I almost said the same on this, but I was told that there are actually some good moves however which we haven't discovered. U-turn in particular has the unique niche of damaging every Pokemon and then switching out, whereas Bug Buzz is just a reliable, accurate STAB move for special attackers. Other than that, I agree that most moves such as Leech Life, Struggle Bug and Pin Missile are such a stupid idea.

Only thing I disagree with here is pin missile. Give a pokemon with that move a kings rock and BAM see if they can attack

Years
  • Ice is a horrid defensive type. weakness to common types such as fire and fighting, and stealth rock, plus the only type Ice resists is ice. Many dual typing with ice is going to end up an awful combination, save for maybe, just maybe Ice/Ghost.

Ice/fire, Ice/rock, anybody?

Poison is terrible offensively, though with introduction of fairy types Poison type attacks may actually be somewhat viable in competitive scenes.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Ice is a horrid defensive type. weakness to common types such as fire and fighting, and stealth rock, plus the only type Ice resists is ice. Many dual typing with ice is going to end up an awful combination, save for maybe, just maybe Ice/Ghost.

Ice/fire, Ice/rock, anybody?

Poison is terrible offensively, though with introduction of fairy types Poison type attacks may actually be somewhat viable in competitive scenes.

Well Mamoswine has a decent niche defensively and not so awful typing with ice/ground, the elec immunity and ice neutrality/resistance is really helpful especially with Thick Fat which mitigates one of its main weaks. In xy i feel Mamo will have even more of a niche checking poison types rather well bar grass part type ones. Ice is also amazing offensively.

Worst type is definitely bug or fire imo. The obvious exceptions being Volcarona, Ape and Heatran.

Fire and bug are horrible defensively, sr weak, lack of resistances, usually poor/lack of coverage, frail and checked/walled by a hell of alot on the offensive.

Last edited:

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • Only thing I disagree with here is pin missile. Give a pokemon with that move a kings rock and BAM see if they can attack

I see what you mean in terms of the flinch chance, but trying to make an opponent flinch by using a stupidly weak move such as Pin Missile is so unreliable it's not worth taking the risk. You have to consider how many times the attack will hit the target, how accurate the move is, and how fast the target Pokemon is. If the move misses or if the target moves before you, you know that the target won't flinch at all. To tell you the truth the attack does a maximum of base 70 damage, and even with a King's rock, combined with the fact that one shot of X-Scissor can outpower 5 Pin Missile shots makes this a lousy move altogether. An offensive Pokemon would always prefer power over secondary effects.

It's a shame that X&Y has made the Bug-type worse than before. Now that Fairy-type Pokemon resist Bug as well, it makes the bugs fall farther to obscurity. I'm definitely not changing my vote here unless they make some positive changes in Gen. VII.

Years
  • Well Mamoswine has a decent niche defensively and not so awful typing with ice/ground, the elec immunity and ice neutrality/resistance is really helpful especially with Thick Fat which mitigates one of its main weaks. In xy i feel Mamo will have even more of a niche checking poison types rather well bar grass part type ones. Ice is also amazing offensively.

Worst type is definitely bug or fire imo. The obvious exceptions being Volcarona, Ape and Heatran.

Fire and bug are horrible defensively, sr weak, lack of resistances, usually poor/lack of coverage, frail and checked/walled by a hell of alot on the offensive.

I've said that Ice is a horrible defensive type, not a horrible one in general.

Ice/ground means that Ice's only resistance Ice is cancelled by ground. Plus Ice/ground is weak to all three major element types, water, grass, and fire. Sure, you can argue that thick fat helps Mamoswine take fire and ice type attacks better, but in the future Mamoswine might not be the only Pokemon with Ice/ground typing. Electric immunity is nice, though, but then any Pokemon with part ground is going to have electric immunity.

Fire type will have 6 resistances in Gen 6 due to addition of fairy, I don't see how that's lack of resistances. Stealth rock weakness sucks, though. Fire is also one of the few types that can hit Steel types for super effective, and is very useful in taking out walls like Forretress and Ferrothorn, so I don't necessarily find them terrible offensively. I agree wih you about Bug types in general though.

Years
  • The Worst Types (Gen VI prediction):
    Offensively: Bug. This is 1 type that I wish would've gotten better, but it is weak to rocks (and is often paired with flying.) 7 things resist it. And hits very few things super effectively. (Used: Scizor, Forretress, Yanmega, Volcarona, Ninjask)

Defensively: You cannot play the defense game with an ice type as it is weak to everything. The only ice types I see used are Walrein, and Mamoswine (Abomonow, and Frosslass).

The best way to figure out the worst type is to probably see the usage of it which probably Rock & Ground.

Edit: Went to ubers with Mono Ice Team. It wrecked! :D

Last edited:

Mia Mew

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Sep 28, 2013
    I'm not a fan of the bug type, although I prefer bug Pokemon by real bugs by a long shot.

And, since we seem to be discussing them as far as actual battling goes, they're not a great type there, either.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I'll have to say Grass, Rock, Bug and Ice have clotted a few weaknesses, so they become vulnerable defensively. The good part is Rock gets a good set of offensive advantages, and that's one reason why Stealth Rock is so much feared. Grass/Psychic and Grass/Ice are one worst defensive typings, and then maybe a few selective picks like Ice/Rock or Ice/Steel (alright maybe this one isn't so bad but still). Coupling with weak defenses this is a good reason why you should be careful with these types, yeah. Fire and Rock came out as two big offensive threats, but Fire/Rock typing is altogether a completely different story. Mostly, all the dual types with more than one 4x against them should be avoided; that's one underlying danger that can be picked at any time. Some Pokémon get benefits from their abilities, like this Mega Venusaur guy who's supposedly getting Thick Fat. That would help quite a lot more than before when Venusaur had Chlorophyll.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'll have to say Grass, Rock, Bug and Ice have clotted a few weaknesses, so they become vulnerable defensively. The good part is Rock gets a good set of offensive advantages, and that's one reason why Stealth Rock is so much feared. Grass/Psychic and Grass/Ice are one worst defensive typings, and then maybe a few selective picks like Ice/Rock or Ice/Steel (alright maybe this one isn't so bad but still). Coupling with weak defenses this is a good reason why you should be careful with these tyeps, yeah. Fire and Rock came out as two big offensive threats, but Fire/Rock typing is altogether a completely different story. Mostly, all the dual types with more than one 4x against them should be avoided; that's one underlying danger that can be picked at any time. Some Pokémon get benefits from their abilities, like this Mega Venusaur guy who's supposedly getting Thick Fat. That would help quite a lot more than before when Venusaur had Chlorophyll.

I agree with what most of this dude said, while Rock and Ice have good offensive use, the types alone have loads of common weaknesses defensively. Bug gets resisted by a lot of things, including the new Fairy-type, and Grass is mainly more of a type that tends to abuse status conditions as well as having common weaknesses. The type combinations mentioned above, and also you could now count Grass/Dark in there come 6th Gen due to now having 7 weaknesses. Basically if any type combination has more than one 4x weakness, don't expect it in OU or maybe anything other than NU.

But worst offensively would be Bug, it now gets 7 types resistant to its attacks and doesn't get much coverage as a result. That doesn't stop U-turn from being used in certain situations though. Grass could come close, and maybe Poison even though Fairy-type presence might see its usage increase.

Worst defensively would be Grass, Bug, Rock and Ice due to having common weakness. Ice in particular having just one resistance, itself. Not even the type chart re-tooling gave it justice.

Years
  • I would've liked if Ice would have lost its rock weakness, and gain at least 2 resist.
    What happened to Steel was a bit dirty, Taking away the Psychic, and Dark resist, take away the fighting weakness to make it fair.
    Did fairy really have to resist bug types? The main bug attack used was U-turn. (at least do neutral damage.)

RimasLT

My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
    Years
  • One of the weakest type of Pokemon in my opinion is 3 types ::::: 1.Bug type have weak moves ( thats for me most of bugs ) 2. Rock/ Ground type have incredibly good Defence stat,but the Sp
    Attack,attack stats is terribly. 3. Fighting type. ( I just dont like their design & average stats. )

Lazer

Geek in the Pink
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2014
    No type just plain sucks, really. They all have their advantages in a way.
    Rock is probably at the biggest disadvantage, though, because of their many weaknesses, generally lower special defenses making them weak to the very prevalent Surfs and many other special moves they are weak to, and they're usually slow. Oh, and Earthquake. Every other physical attacker has that move and is usually capable of KOing most rock-types, unless it's super defense oriented.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
    Years
  • Normal I usually dislike to use. They don't have that great of moves and they have no advantages.

Bug has weak moves, but great advantages (2x vs Dark/Psychic)

Then rock... which is just a mess

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Either Bug Normal or Poison, Poison has like poor moves that only get status moves anda few others but normal are weak to everything x1000000 and they can't hurt ghost

Back