• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That's ****ing offensive!

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    If someone says they are offended then I think you should respect that. There is nothing to lose by being kind. It's not cool or edgy to "not give a fuck" about something that offends someone else.

Well, what do you think by people that get offended by sex jokes, or taken it a step further, Holocaust jokes, or taking it in really grey area, 9/11 jokes. They don't directly offend people, but people still get offended by it?
    None of those things are funny. Holocaust jokes? Seriously? Grow up. Comedy without offense is an actual thing; and if you need to refer to the holocaust to make a joke then you're a poor excuse of a comedian.,

Adore

Party.
    Years
  • I've found that a lot of the time people who say "oh you're offended too easily" know they're in the wrong, but they need to shift the blame from themselves so they don't have to take responsibility for what they've said.

Well, what do you think by people that get offended by sex jokes, or taken it a step further, Holocaust jokes, or taking it in really grey area, 9/11 jokes. They don't directly offend people, but people still get offended by it?
    Chances are if your comedy isn't clever enough to be funny without being offensive, it probably isn't that funny to begin with.

Sir Codin

- Thinking offensive humor isn't clever or funny.

Mel Brooks probably said it best.

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

Of course, there are always exceptions. There always are. Carlos Mencia was an unfunny ****. Also, rare is the rape joke that is actually funny, and I mean extremely rare.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Walking to the mall today for a coffee. On stairs to upper level of parkade were two native (Metis?) boys. As I was to be taking the stairs downhill, they said I looked like a "rhymes with maggot" **. Spoke nothing in response, as though I failed to acknowledge.

I get very irritated, often for the rest of my day, when 'kids' get mouthy in my direction.

**was wearing a "Pokemon cap" as likely reason for comment, unless it was my beard & possible age

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    If someone says they are offended then I think you should respect that. There is nothing to lose by being kind. It's not cool or edgy to "not give a fuck" about something that offends someone else.

None of those things are funny. Holocaust jokes? Seriously? Grow up. Comedy without offense is an actual thing; and if you need to refer to the holocaust to make a joke then you're a poor excuse of a comedian.,

Well, that's a bit of a harsh reaction. Just trying to spark a discussion.

I've found that a lot of the time people who say "oh you're offended too easily" know they're in the wrong, but they need to shift the blame from themselves so they don't have to take responsibility for what they've said.

Chances are if your comedy isn't clever enough to be funny without being offensive, it probably isn't that funny to begin with.

I don't necessarily agree with you two, although I'd say it's harder to be funny without defaulting to shock humor and offensive stuff, I won't say they can't be funny. It's entirely a matter of opinion when you say that offensive stuff can't be funny. I don't enjoy most offensive humor, but I'm sure I have laughed at some stuff that was offensive. Mostly because offensive is also a big subjective thing, I just gave some examples that are offensive from collective memory, which for most people aren't directly offensive in the sense that they have no personal experience with it. Although I can clearly see why people find it offensive.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I guess people who are prejudice about others. I don't mean when someone is just making a joke. I mean someone who is truly prejudice about another persons gender, race, religion, etc.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Backing up Gold warehouse and Adore with the sentiment that if someone's sense of humor has to be offensive just for the sake of shock value then I can pretty much tell you right now that it really isn't even funny to begin with. I love dark humor, but rarely do I find any offensive shtick to be appealing. The delivery makes all of the difference, and the context even more. Just so much try-hardness about the whole realm of straight up, plain offensive humor that makes me yawn. I've heard enough Holocaust jokes while in middle school, thanks.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • If you're offended by something remote like a performance or TV show, that's your problem. The comedian has no relation to you and it is your choice to watch their stuff.

If you're offended by something someone says to you, use your communication skills to let them know that you don't find it funny. Not laughing, nicely telling them it wasn't funny, and other means are great tools to let people know how their words are receipted and if they have any intellect to speak of they'll get that and stop. Getting pissed over it solves nothing.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am of the mind with George Carlin that everything can be funny. Everything. Holocaust jokes, rape jokes, and the like are harder to pull genuine humour out of though, but that's not to say they can't be funny. For instance, with rape imagine Elmer Fudd and Porky Pig. Some people will laugh at that! :P

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Like I mentioned earlier, I am of the mind with George Carlin that everything can be funny. Everything. Holocaust jokes, rape jokes, and the like are harder to pull genuine humour out of though, but that's not to say they can't be funny. For instance, with rape imagine Elmer Fudd and Porky Pig. Some people will laugh at that! :P

Every and any subject can be funny if you're a person with little or no moral objections, yes. But good luck finding humour in rape and not becoming a social outcast as you do so.

Sir Codin

All this talk about offensive rape jokes is reminding me of something. I think it's this:

Cit_vgcats135_rape_is_never_funny.jpg

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • Every and any subject can be funny if you're a person with little or no moral objections, yes. But good luck finding humour in rape and not becoming a social outcast as you do so.
    ohhhh me scared

All this talk about offensive rape jokes is reminding me of something. I think it's this:

Cit_vgcats135_rape_is_never_funny.jpg
    That's another good example… better than mine, even. I took mine from Carlin to be perfectly honest lol

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
  • I find that rape in humor needs to be done incredibly skillfully- i.e you make the actual act of raping someone seen to be terrible, rather than just going "hurr durr they got raped it's funny."

but I mean have fun @ all the people who seemingly have no social skills telling people to "get over it"

Years
  • I find that rape in humor needs to be done incredibly skillfully- i.e you make the actual act of raping someone seen to be terrible, rather than just going "hurr durr they got raped it's funny."

but I mean have fun @ all the people who seemingly have no social skills telling people to "get over it"

People getting offended and agitated and starting needless confrontations rather than simply and politely asking the joker not to use those jokes because they find them offensive are the ones with poor social skills if you ask me.

I have no obligation to censor myself because people might get upset, but I'm a decent enough guy not to make a joke if I am well-aware I'm with someone who will find it vulgar and get upset by it.

Years
  • Part of the reason why black humour is funny is because of all the people who do get offended by it. The joke's mostly on you, if you think about it (nobody actually thinks 9/11, the Holocaust, rape, racism etc are inherently funny).

EDIT: okay now that I think about it it's not exaactly true... if someone picks up a bit of irony about an extremely sensitive subject, that's something worth laughing about - so those topics are inherently funny inasmuch as they're ironic (because I think irony is one of those threads permeating through all kinds of humour).

Last edited:

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
  • People getting offended and agitated and starting needless confrontations rather than simply and politely asking the joker not to use those jokes because they find them offensive are the ones with poor social skills if you ask me.

I have no obligation to censor myself because people might get upset, but I'm a decent enough guy not to make a joke if I am well-aware I'm with someone who will find it vulgar and get upset by it.

Most people do what you're describing? They only get mad when people don't take them seriously which happens most of the time from experience.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • The thing about offensive humour is that everything can offend anybody. There's no telling what someone might find funny or degrading - imagine a self-hating American getting bent out of shape over Jeff Foxxworthy. Plenty of people would say his humour is soapy clean, and there's lots of people in between.

The joker shouldn't shoulder the responsibility of being acceptable to everyone because what everyone thinks is acceptable varies widely. It's impossible to do.

Years
  • I don't see why people always treat not being offensive as this massive task. It's not difficult to be mindful of what you say and what types of jokes you make and I honestly think it's kind of childish to complain about having to "censor" yourself. Yeah you can say that it's a slippery slope and where do we draw the line and we can't please everybody blah blah, but normal person should just have the decency to realise that your sense of humour isn't always appropriate.

People getting offended and agitated and starting needless confrontations rather than simply and politely asking the joker not to use those jokes because they find them offensive are the ones with poor social skills if you ask me.
    If it's something relatively obscure and/or tame then fair enough, but I think it's important to keep in mind that people may be offended for very personal reasons and that it's not always easy to stay calm when someone makes a joke or says something that strikes a chord. Like getting angry probably won't get the best reaction from someone, but I don't think it's really fair to write everyone who gets upset at certain jokes off as having bad social skills. If you're saying stuff that's blatantly offensive then people have the right to be angry IMO.

Back