• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tutoring?

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
  • Alright, so this actually was just this minute inspired by something completely unrelated, so I'll skip that bit :P

There is already a tutorial section in the Resources thread, however I was wondering what people's ideas on tutoring would be?

I'll explain myself. Tutoring would be a system where people could request certified mentors to tutor them in certain styles of art, that the tutor would choose to teach. For example; User404-notfound wants to learn how to make tags, but is unsure where to start, and the tutorials seem a little confusing, as some terms aren't always explained. User404-notfound then approaches Tags101 in the tutorial thread, and asks for help. The two can then set up how they want to approach the matter and go on from there.

This is quite unrefined right now, as it is only an idea, but I'd like to know what you guys think? The idea is to give potential new artists a window through which to enter the artistic world. Right now, A&D has many resources at hand for those already with the basic knowledge and understanding of the terms and styles and so on, but doesn't offer people who'd like to get involved that opportunity to step into this amazing community. I want to try and find a way to do that. Thoughts?

Years
  • I think that's an awesome idea! Both the "students" and tutors could benefit greatly from it :)

Not sure how you could organise it, though ... I guess you could open a thread where possible tutors offer to help others (maybe providing links to their art etc. to show what they're especially good at) or where people looking for tutors could state what they'd like to learn and then possible tutors can come up to them... well, if you need any help setting the whole thing up, I'd be happy to participate! :>

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Maybe you could do a sign up thread for tutors, then open up a second thread for those that want to sign up to be tutored.

Its a great idea. I would love to learn how to draw.

Circuit

Years
  • Not sure how you could organise it, though ... I guess you could open a thread where possible tutors offer to help others (maybe providing links to their art etc. to show what they're especially good at) or where people looking for tutors could state what they'd like to learn and then possible tutors can come up to them... well, if you need any help setting the whole thing up, I'd be happy to participate! :>

My current thoughts are to have maybe something similar to the mentor system for the new users. You can find that here, if you're unsure what it is. But I do stress this is still only an idea, and many creases would need to be ironed out before this could be implemented. But if people like the idea then I'll definitely look into it.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I can support this! It's going to have to be pretty regimented though, with some pretty strict ground rules. But yeah as long as there's enough participation I think this could be really successful!

Years
  • I do like this idea in general! However, there's a difference between tutoring and mentoring that's important. I think one good idea would be having someone who is open to tutoring people in a specific thing.
    Like Tags101 is now open to tutoring in Signature for CSS. The person is SPECIFICALLY answering questions of all kinds from anyone who shows up about a specific topic, for a specified time. Like say for the next week we're going to work on X, and we're going to meet in the irc or something.

This is different than having a mentor. You can say Tags101 is now a mentor who is looking apprentices, (slots) which means they will be available to anwser ANY questions related to their specified fields. An apprentice can set up tutoring sessions with a mentor, but that's different than above.
    Basically I think it's important to have a difference between someone who has time to work with anyone who has a question, and someone who wants to work in depth with a few people.

( i.e. I don't like teaching a class, I like teaching underclassmen who approach me)

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Do I smell the return of the graphics schools from years ago! I'm surprised to see this coming back, but this was so awesome back in the day. We used to have several graphics and photography schools throughout the years either being a mentor or tutor (depending on whichever school this was). The last ones I can remember, the last Graphics School was held by Gav and moments. in 2011, while the photography school was held by Gav, Captain Fabio and Forever.

The last Graphics School, assignments were released from time to time and you'd complete them. Once submitted, one of the tutors will look at your piece and give you a critique on it. Photography School also carried the same format as this one as it was running around the same time as the Graphics School was.

In an earlier iteration of the Graphics School when the section was a lot more popular, the school was a lot more categorized and placed in "Homeroom classes" based on level of ability (Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced) as well as the specific program of use (Photoshop or GIMP).

Don't know if this will help in anyway, but if you need ideas, you should definitely check out any of the previous Schools for advice.
    Maybe if you were setting up something like this, it would be a general Art and Design school so people can also be taught pixel art or digital or whatever.

Circuit

Years

• Yes to everything haha

I was part of the old Graphics School and you mentioning them has reminded me of them. Yes, this is pretty much the direction I would like this to go. But we need people who would be willing to teach, preferably more than just one.

But yes, the old Graphics Schools are something I'd like to revive!

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • i think this would be a great idea! i love to help people learn photoshop, profile design, and css ^_^.

Back