• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shoddy Battle Thrashing (Essence)

Essence

Aura L♥VE
Years
  • This is my first shoddy battle log I've put in, and I hope you enjoy it. This battle was on the Smogon shoddy server against "Mr_Pokemon" with my name being Essence1.

Red is any moves made by Mr_Pokemon
    Green is any moves made by me
    Blue is any of my commentary/comments after each move.

My Team:
    68.png
    205.png
    245.png
    466.png
    468.png
    130.png

Mr_Pokemon's Team will be revealed as I go:

Mr_Pokemon sent out Skuntank
    Essence1 sent out Machamp
    68.png
    VS
    435.png

Skuntank used Flamethrower. Machamp lost 15% of its health.
    Machamp used Encore. Skuntank got an encore!

This is a good start for me. Skuntank stuck in flamethrower isn't bad, and I think I might have the advantage

68.png
    VS
    435.png

Skuntank used Flamethrower. Machamp lost 13% of its health.

Machamp used Stone Edge. A critical hit! Skuntank lost 76% of its health.

Wait, why did I use stone edge? I forgot dynamicpunch is normal on him :(

68.png
    VS
    435.png
    ->
    196.png

Mr_Pokemon switched in Espeon

Machamp used Ice Punch. Espeon lost 55% of its health.
    Espeon was frozen solid!

Ooh. That's pretty lucky. Espeon would have been a major threat to me

68.png
    VS
    196.png

Espeon is frozen solid!

Machamp used Ice Punch. Espeon lost 47% of its health.
    Mr_Pokemon's Espeon fainted.

And the freezing holds up. Bye Espeon!
    6-5 for me

Mr_Pokemon switched in Meganium

68.png
    VS
    154.png

Meganium used Earthquake. Machamp lost 20% of its health.
    Machamp used Ice Punch. It's super effective! Meganium lost 46% of its health.

Dah, curse you meganiums with high defence. At least I'm holding up.

68.png
    VS
    154.png

Meganium used Toxic. Machamp was badly poisoned!

Machamp's Lum Berry cured its Poison!
    Machamp used Dynamicpunch. A critical hit! Meganium lost 95% of its health. Mr_Pokemon's Meganium fainted.

Thanks lum berry. Poison would have been bad. Oh and thanks again for the crits!
    6-4 for me

Mr_Pokemon switched in Zangoose

68.png
    VS
    335.png

Zangoose used Close Combat. Machamp lost 38% of its health.
    Zangoose's defence was lowered. Zangoose's special defence was lowered.
    Machamp used Dynamicpunch. It's super effective! Zangoose lost 267% of its health. Zangoose hung on using its Focus Sash! Zangoose became confused!

Havn't seen a focus sash Zangoose in a while. 267% damage would have been pretty nice.

Essence1 switched in Forretress
    68.png
    ->
    205.png
    VS
    335.png

Zangoose is confused! It hurt itself in its confusion! Zangoose lost 33% of its health. Mr_Pokemon's Zangoose fainted.

Bye Zangoose. I love you confusion! :)
    6-3 for me

Mr_Pokemon switched in Skuntank.

205.png
    ->
    245.png
    VS
    435.png

Essence1 switched in Suicune. Suicune is exerting its pressure!
    Skuntank used Rest. Skuntank fell asleep! Skuntank restored 76% of its health.

Okay. Good. I got my suicune out against a skuntank that's asleep. This looks promising

245.png
    VS
    435.png

Suicune used Calm Mind.Suicune's special attack was raised. Suicune's special defence was raised.

Skuntank is fast asleep! Skuntank used Sleep Talk. Skuntank used Rest. But it failed!

Hahahaha STalk rest for the win! Free calm mind for me!

245.png
    VS
    435.png

Suicune used Surf. Skuntank lost 99% of its health.

Suicune lost 10% of its health.
    Skuntank is fast asleep! Skuntank used Sleep Talk. Skuntank used Rest. But it failed!

Wow 99% damage, oh well, at least he only used STalk rest again

245.png
    VS
    435.png

Suicune used Hidden Power. Skuntank lost 43% of its health.

Mr_Pokemon's Skuntank fainted.

Okay bye now Skuntank. Who's next?
    6-2 for me

Mr_Pokemon switched in Magmortar.

245.png
    VS
    467.png

Suicune used Surf. It's super effective! Magmortar lost 197% of its health. Mr_Pokemon's Magmortar fainted.

Okay, I'm in the clear now!
    6-1 for me

Mr_Pokemon switched in Probopass.
    245.png
    VS
    476.png

Suicune used Surf. It's super effective! Probopass lost 110% of its health.
    Mr_Pokemon's Probopass fainted. Essence1 wins!

I AM THE WINNER!! 6-0 go me!

This was a lucky battle, but there was still skill on my part!

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • I AM THE WINNER!! 6-0 go me!

This was a lucky battle, but there was still skill on my part!

Ok first things first. You're using an OU team against an NU team. Of course you're going to win. Even if he was skilled with NU pokemon (which he clearly is not aka Flamethower against Machamp as his first move >.>), they simply cannot compete with OU pokemon and it makes your log boring and short, as well as making you look kind of foolish for posting it. Let's be honest, there's no skill to speak of in this match.

Now the formatting. Barely any commentary, no health percentages or items, no use of different font sizes for different pieces of information...makes it a nightmare to read and understand. You should check the battle logs sticky for ideas on good formatting to use.

Also notice that every single match in the sticky is a well fought with a close score, with both teams from the same tier. No one wants to see someone 6-0 an NU team with OUs, especially against a crappy opponent. And claiming that you've accomplished something by doing so only makes it worse.

I understand this is your first log but there is a ton of room for improvement here. Once again, read through some of the logs in the sticky to get a good idea of what we expect from battle log creators.

Kalsard

Looking for time travellers.
    Years
  • It's just a bit sad how fast you bulldozed him.
    It makes quite an uninteresting Battle log after you just kept making his pokemon faint and faint.
    =(
    Good job anyway?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I would like to reiterate most of what Aura said, but also I would like to mention that your colors burned my eyes. Try to pick less conflicting colors than, say, blue and red? :|

OU v. NU in a match where your opponent played very poorly (I stopped reading when he sent in Meganium after you used ice punch) makes for a poor battle log, even if the match shows how bad you throttled him and makes you look "good" in comparison to him. Like Aura also said, most good battle logs have two evenly-matched players generally making good decisions and the match tends to come down to a wire or involves a great comeback of sorts. Those give us something to read other than just the thrashing of someone who is obviously stupid or new to the game.

Also, your comments (although they probably were worse because of the lack of any real challenge) were pretty bad. I mean, they gave me no indication of any of your thoughts besides "oh look I'm ready to sweep this kid". :/

An excellent example of a comment;

Legacy Raider said:
    Ambipom used Fake Out.
    Arcanine lost 20% of its health.
    Arcanine flinched!

Ah, believe it or not, that turn was very informative. I find out one thing about Ambipom immediately - it is not running Life Orb, so I don't need to worry unduly about heavy Double Hit damage the next turn. However, I also know that it is not using Silk Scarf, or any boosting item at all for that matter. A Silk Scarf boosted Fake Out will do a minimum of ~22% to Arcanine (once you face enough Ambipom this becomes second nature), meaning Ambipom's hold item can be narrowed down to Focus Sash or Damp Rock. This may seem like me making a mountain out of a molehill, but it could be the difference between me losing Arcanine or not.

A Focus Sash would generally mean Ambipom will use Counter next turn, and Damp Rock would obviously allude to Rain Dance. In both of these situations, Flare Blitz is a poor choice. If it has Counter, Flare Blitz will result in Arcanine being KOed by the countered attack. If Ambipom sets up rain, Flare Blitz will hit for only 10 more damage than Extremespeed, while causing me to take recoil damage. With this newly garnered information, I change my standard Ambipom-dealing strategy around and instead choose to Extremespeed.

Last edited:
    Back