• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Various questions about making and using recurring trainers

NeroTH

Aspiring Master of Mega Evolution
Years
  • So to put things simply, I'm working on a game using Essentials and RMXP, and, because I'm new to using RMXP and cannot find the information I'm looking for, I figured the forums here would be the best place to ask. How would I go about making scripts for recurring trainers in my game? I'm talking about characters with involvement on the level of Steven in RSE/ORAS.
    I specifically want to know how to get a leitmotif playing when said characters pop up, how to program the event to GET them to pop up, how to program a battle into said event on occasion, and how to have them walk offscreen at the end of the event. Any info and insight on this would be HEAVILY appreciated.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • You've got a bunch of questions here that, broken down, are very accessible on the wiki or for the most part in RMXP's basic documentation. The biggest thing seems to be that you're treating events as very literal events when you interact in the overworld. Think of them more as game pieces(including the player), and the event controls as what that game piece does when the player interacts with it.

I specifically want to know how to get a leitmotif playing when said characters pop up
    When your character is meant to appear, select "Change BGM" in the event menu.

how to program the event to GET them to pop up
    Make their event in a spot on your maps that the player won't see, and then use the command "Set Event Location" to move them to where they need to be to show on your player's screen.

how to program a battle into said event on occasion
    Call the script pbTrainerBattle, specifying your recurring trainer, followed by an index
    This page will be your friend.
    and how to have them walk offscreen at the end of the event.
    Set Move Route, and have the trainer event walk offscreen, then after they're off-screen, use Set Event Location to put them back in that spot that your player will never see on the map.

NeroTH

Years
  • You've got a bunch of questions here that, broken down, are very accessible on the wiki or for the most part in RMXP's basic documentation. The biggest thing seems to be that you're treating events as very literal events when you interact in the overworld. Think of them more as game pieces(including the player), and the event controls as what that game piece does when the player interacts with it.

When your character is meant to appear, select "Change BGM" in the event menu.

Make their event in a spot on your maps that the player won't see, and then use the command "Set Event Location" to move them to where they need to be to show on your player's screen.

Call the script pbTrainerBattle, specifying your recurring trainer, followed by an index
    This page will be your friend.

Set Move Route, and have the trainer event walk offscreen, then after they're off-screen, use Set Event Location to put them back in that spot that your player will never see on the map.

Alright, well this is what I've got going so far: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kq50y7d7wzfnmo/Screencap 1.PNG?dl=0 & https://www.dropbox.com/s/so9u08b4b6iu3w8/Screencap 2.PNG?dl=0

If you could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here, that should solve any future problems as far as scripting events like this. I'm good as far as setting up the battles themselves, I just want to be able to put them into specific points throughout the story like the Rival Battles.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Alright, well this is what I've got going so far: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kq50y7d7wzfnmo/Screencap 1.PNG?dl=0 & https://www.dropbox.com/s/so9u08b4b6iu3w8/Screencap 2.PNG?dl=0

If you could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here, that should solve any future problems as far as scripting events like this. I'm good as far as setting up the battles themselves, I just want to be able to put them into specific points throughout the story like the Rival Battles.
    Set a self-switch to true and then add a new (blank) event page which only occurs when that self-switch is true.

NeroTH

Years
  • Set a self-switch to true and then add a new (blank) event page which only occurs when that self-switch is true.

Okay, so the guy doesn't even pop up in the game itself. No event trigger or anything. I set up a random low-level trainer on the route just before, no problem. Is there something else I need to be doing for this?

Back