• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overhyped Pokemon?

Years
  • Pikachu, definately but it is Pokemon's mascot basically so yeah, there would be hype <3
    Charizard. When I was little, EVERYONE had at least one (in game or in their TCG deck)
    Salamence and Garchomp. UGH. the most over used and overly hyped of the dragon family (with the same thing happening as Char.)
    Mewtwo and Mew. The most popular legendaries and psychic types.
    Out of all the lovely eeveelutions Umbreon is the most frequently used/mentioned.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I frankly don't care if certain Pokemon are over-hyped or whatever. That's up to the user's opinion. I use the Pokemon I like because I like them. I could care less what my opponent uses. :) They can use whatever they want. (Except for lv. 100 Arceus/other hacked Pokemon *casts sinister glare at my little CHEATING brother*)

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    I'd have to say Pikachu and Charizard due to reasons others have said before me.

Agreeing with everyone above but mentioning pseudo-legendaries. Especially Hydreigon (I have no idea how to spell it) it was WAY overhyped from the beginning.

It was?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    From a competitive aspect - Zoroark, definitely. The introduction of Wifi Clause (aka you see your opponent's team before you fight them) ruined whatever surprise quality you get out of Zoroark being on your team and pretending to be something else. I mean, you could still catch people off-guard (like me because I always forgot what showed up) but still. :c

Haxorus was also overhyped. 147 BASE ATTACK??? Yeah, that 97 base Speed still lets you down, buddy. Oh, and your lack of any kind of Fire-type move. Or Stone Edge, even. :(

Hyperlust

Sassy McSasserson
    Years
  • Definitely Pikachu. Don't have anything against them but it gets to a point where I would choose any other BUT him just because of how overexposed and over-hyped they are

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    Dragonite, Zoroark, Lucario and Hydreigon....
    Those are the Pokemon I really hate seeing in teams. Also, Scrafty and all Unova starters a bit.

Aura Rift

Mantle of flame
    Years
  • OK,OK I admit I love Lucario but to be honest I liked him before I even knew he had his own movie, but yes he is overhyped I will admit that, also it doesnt really matter if a pokemon is overhyped that DOES NOT mean its actually any good Eg. Pikachu I despise it, I mean its really,really bad unless u evolve it thats why I like to laugh at people who buy a pokemon game say they're going to beat everyone when they caych a pikachu then fail miserably,so yh I really REALLY dont like pikachu in-game.

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
  • I instinctively use underrated Pokemon. I really enjoy finding a rare, relatively basic Pokemon, and really bringing out its strengths and making them the best I can. When ever I find out a particular Pokemon is over used, I tend to heavily avoid using them. It brings out a greater sense of individuality for me, and is pretty cool seeing people using unorthodox teams that do work well a a team. :)

I'd say the pseudo-legendaries are overused, they don't feel so rare and powerful when everyone has them, so I try to avoid using them myself, (metagross is just so cool... he's hard to avoid).

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2015
    Tyranitar is overhyped it has like 5-6 weakenesses... any pokemon with earthquake can destroy it.

dragonite seems to get icebeamed a lot too...

Years
  • Pikachu, Charizard, Typhlosion, Scizor, Salamence, Lucario and quite a bit of legendaries. Don't get me wrong, I love all these Pokemon. But Pikachu, you just mention the word 'Pokemon' to anyone and that's their immediate response. Or maybe it is just me. My friends all know I love Pokemon, as well as some that do themselves, but for the people that don't play the games or only did in their childhood or whatever, Pikachu or Charizard comes to mind almost instantly.

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    People always used to talk about Mewtwo. When you ask a pokemon player or watcher if who Mewtwo is, they know. But if you ask pokemon player or watcher if who Dialga is, there is a percentage of that player or watcher not knowing Dialga.

Reasons are there are people who played the first version but some didn't play the second, third and fourth (like me :P).

So IMO, pokemons that are of earlier generations seems overhyped than those of the latter. Its just my opinion and source is my observation of the people around me.

And yeah, Pikachu is overhyped. But I want him to stay that way (cause its an electric type and its cute) :)

Years
  • Pikachu, Sceptile, Salamence, Haxorus.

Pikachu. I think we all know why.

Sceptile was especially overhyped. I didn't find it very useful but nearly everyone was like it's the best Pokemon of the third Generation. Salamence too.

Haxorus was propably the most overhyped Pokemon of Generation V, at least in Smogon University. Base Attack of roughly Rayquaza's and STAB Dragon-type attacks just to name a few reasons. But people were soon like "We thought it would be awesome but it sucks" (http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue14/surprises).

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
    Years
  • Pikachu, Sceptile, Salamence, Haxorus.

Sceptile was especially overhyped. I didn't find it very useful but nearly everyone was like it's the best Pokemon of the third Generation. Salamence too

I know it's your own opinion but sceptile is THE best grass starter barring DW serperior..Subseeder,physical attacker,special attacker,mixed attacker...It can do anything and better than most

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
  • I've actually come to hate Pikachu over the years because it's so dang overrated. But my main vote would probably go to Heracross. I think it has a weak movepool, even worse typing, and yet somehow works its way into competitive battling teams. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but seriously it should be a collector's item unless you like Heracross as much as I like Jolteon in which case building a team around it is perfectly justified.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Pikachu, mainly. I mean, I love Pikachu, but like everyone has said, when you think Pokemon, the first image that comes to mind is Pikachu going Pikaaa! He is (or should be..) Pokemons mascot. He had a whole game to himself (XD), he is Ash's partner in crime, and hes so cuuuute. Another I would say is Eevee and his line of evolutions. Sure, they are cute and all.. But seriously, I have never used one in my entire life. Dont really plan on it anyway, since there are much better Pokemon that I like a LOT better that I would rather take up that space in my party. Heck, 120 hours of play time on my SoulSilver and still havent picked up that Eevee from Bill or bob..Whatever his name is XD. Lucario is another one, he looks cool and all... But why did he get a movie to himself?!?!?!?!?!? And also that red Gyarados..Everyone dotes over him >_>.

Back