• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Is talent inherited or learned?

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
Years
I believe in affinity with certain talents, but I don't exactly think one is born with talent. I definitely believe a lot of talent comes from practicing and determination. I mean, sure I believe everyone is born with some level of skill in just about everything, but it doesn't mean much when one uses that same level of skill as a crutch instead of helping it along.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
I think some people are born with a skill set that gives them a head start in certain areas, but I think with the right amount of effort and practice almost anyone can become talented.

ArcJamie

ArcJamie
Years
Seem some pretty good answers already. Talent I believe is learned. I've seen this so many times where someone is called talented but no one knows how hard they worked for that specific thing. You're not born with some amazing singing voice or radio voice. Some young people have that skill but they still learned it and they were probably taught or practice at a younger age. I believe it's the people around you at a young age that determine what 'talents' you learn but this doesn't by any means stop you from gaining a talent of your choice.

Years
I'm probably late to the party, but I like this topic! I use to think "aw no, it's not talent, but hard work and time", but after talking to a lot of friends I believe there is talented/skilled people and hard workers but everyone is different. There are fast learners, there are slow learners. There are people who can force themselves to exercise their skills regularly, and there are those who can't do it daily or hit artistic/writers blocks. People have different experiences getting back up from blocks or how to deal with it. You could be considered skilled, but maybe its super hard and stressful to get back up from blocks. While someone else who maybe takes longer to learn skills might be able to jump back up from a block and continue practicing. There's more examples but I don't think learning slow or fast will determine your talent/skills or how hard you work.

I guess in short; I lean towards "things are learned" but I think both do exist and everyone who practices a creative medium will have different experiences based on the fact we all learn differently. As long as you're putting effort into something you like; you'll do great things no matter how to learn. You have the ability to create great things. I wish the best of luck to you all.​

Back