• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Out of all the main games, which could you have gone without playing?

Which was your least favorite Pokemon game?

• Red/Blue

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Yellow

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Gold/Silver

• Crystal

• Ruby/Sapphire

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Emerald

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Firered/Leafgreen

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Diamond/Pearl

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Platinum

• Heartgold/Soulsilver

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Black/White

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Black2/White2

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • X/Y

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • OR/AS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Jesus ****ing Christ, poor Black 2/White 2, I really feel that it deserves better than some of you are giving it, especially Peitharchia and Meem. :/ And I don't say that solely based on you guys not liking the game and me loving it, but to me it has no question the worst hatedom of any main series game.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Scott you get a little too riled up when it comes to B2W2 =/

To answer the question the way it's worded in the thread title, a lot of the games are kind of invalidated, for lack of a better term, by their 3rd versions and/or remakes. If you want to play the series you could just do FR/LG, HG/SS, ORAS, Platinum, Black/White, Black2/White2, and XY and you'd be good. Not much reason honestly to play Diamond/Pearl when Platinum is really just a straight upgrade of those two for example.

To answer the question the way it's worded in the poll.....um, Red/Blue I guess. I just like /am too used to now all the stuff the games have gotten since then, and dislike the type balance in those games is all.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I agree with everything that's already been said about FRLG. Unless you want to complete RSE's Dex or play through Gen 1 on an outdated DS, there's really no reason to play the games anymore. They added nothing substantial to the series, and they're not even compatible with the newest handheld or newest games, anyways.

With RBY getting re-released on the VC, there's now even less of a reason to play FRLG. You can now play through all of the Gens on the 3DS: RBY (Gen 1), HGSS (Gen 2), ORAS (Gen 3), DPP (Gen 4), BW/B2W2 (Gen 5), and XY (Gen 6).

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    LeafGreen/Firered - Lackluster of postgame content (exclude mewtwo) and there's nothing much to do anymore and not even battle facility to entertain us

Diamond/Pearl - Really, do you have the patience for it's insane lag and slow saving

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    Personally, I could've gone without playing BW and BW2. I never replayed them and I was finished with them rather quickly. Honestly, for me there was something rather empty about them ...it's hard to explain. :s

Years
  • To me, any Kanto or Johto game. I guess it's because I never experienced those regions as much as the others, and they don't have much replay value to me.

NaruHarmonia

TheBiologicalNDaddy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2018
    Definitely X and Y. Don't get me wrong, I love Mega Evolution, but I just don't like it all that much. The rivals weren't all that memorable, and I bet the only reason anyone WOULD remember them is if X/Y was their first game or they like the anime. The evil team was basically Team Galactic with elements of Team Rocket and Team Plasma; Lysandre wanted to use a legendary Pokémon to make a better world like Cyrus, the grunts believed their only goals were to gather Pokémon and money and stuff along those lines like Team Rocket, and the team had a mad scientist like how Ghetsis has Colress (I would normally see all this as a dream team, but it's a hot mess). And to top it all off, the only reason anyone remembers the post game is because of Looker being the driving force behind it. Replace Looker with someone else, I guarantee that only fans recently brought in BECAUSE of X/Y would remember it.

Red/Blue/Green/Yellow were the first games, so they had an excuse, as well as a memorable rival. Gold/Silver/Crystal/HGSS had a whole region and other boss to explore, as well as a memorable rival. R/S/E had a LOT of legendary Pokémon, the Battle Tower/Frontier, AND I still enjoyed mindlessly re-battling the Elite 4 and Wally, even if the main rival was lackluster. D/P/Pt had a whole island, with Platinum adding another final Team Galactic showdown, AND a memorable rival. B/W had a whole second half of the region to explore and TWO memorable rivals, as well as PokeStar Studios and the PWT in B2/W2, despite those last two having a lackluster rival. And of course, as every current fan that stays up to date knows, ORAS had the Delta Episodes, which I found thoroughly enjoyable, AND they made the lackluster rivals from the original R/S/E much more memorable. X/Y, though... I don't see ANY of it.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Definitely X and Y. Don't get me wrong, I love Mega Evolution, but I just don't like it all that much. The rivals weren't all that memorable, and I bet the only reason anyone WOULD remember them is if X/Y was their first game or they like the anime. The evil team was basically Team Galactic with elements of Team Rocket and Team Plasma; Lysandre wanted to use a legendary Pokémon to make a better world like Cyrus, the grunts believed their only goals were to gather Pokémon and money and stuff along those lines like Team Rocket, and the team had a mad scientist like how Ghetsis has Colress (I would normally see all this as a dream team, but it's a hot mess). And to top it all off, the only reason anyone remembers the post game is because of Looker being the driving force behind it. Replace Looker with someone else, I guarantee that only fans recently brought in BECAUSE of X/Y would remember it.

Words taken from my mouth. Only things I liked from X/Y were the clothes for characters and the new Kalos Pokemon. Everything else, I'd be better off not remembering. Such a dull game.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • For me it was FR/LG, its the only game i never beat, and as much as i want to go back and finally beat it, i can't really get myself to, i just find it a bit blah and uninteresting.

Years
  • It is very interesting to read how people feel about the various games. To be totally honest, there were a number of games I've missed as I felt I had outgrown Pokemon at one point in my life (what I was thinking I'll never know haha) so my views are a little bit limited.

The games I've played are:

Red, Yellow, Diamond, Heart Gold, Black, Y and Alpha Sapphire.

Of these ones, it isn't hard for me to decide my least favourite... Black wasn't a fun experience for me and I've never even finished it... Now ask me to pick my favourite and I would totally be here forever haha!!

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I could have gone without playing X/Y. After B/W which I really liked (and, to a lesser extent, B2/W2) , X/Y really felt like a huge step backwards in terms of... pretty much everything except the technology. D/P/Pt is a close second.

In terms of story, I really think that R/S/E set a pattern where the story more or less ends between the seventh and the eighth gym, including capturing the version mascot, and the last gym and the league are more of an afterthought, which D/P/Pt and X/Y follow to a tee. In that way, D/P/Pt really felt to me like a rehash, and X/Y like a rehash of a rehash.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Black and White, I really didn't like not being able to not catch any of the old Pokémon and the moving sprites were not fluid at all, making It very off-putting. It didn't feel like a Pokémon game to me.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • B/W and B2/W2. Some terrible Pokémon designs (Goths and ice cream for example), the few decent ones were butchered with appalling names that sounded like a 5 year old made them up. Zebstrika? Beartic? Krookodile? Unfezant?! The lack of previous Gen Pokémon (admittedly B2/W2 fixed this). The story was forgettable. The start of the games allows very little free roaming; it felt like every time you took a step or moved to a new area some NPC would accost you and slow the game down and force you to do some pain-in-the-arse side mission. The battle animation was appalling. The sprites were pixelly and hard to make out when the screen kept zooming in on them. The sprite movement, whilst an admirable idea, felt clunky and robotic and unnatural. Pokestar Studios was a terrible, cringeworthy addition. And the worst crime of all; ANOTHER ****ING FIRE/FIGHTING STARTER!!

The best thing about Gen V was the marine tunnel.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am going to have to go with Platinum. I have never played it, and I never plan to play it. I think the remakes were ok, but most I could have gone with out.

Ones that I couldn't have gone with out are:
    Red/Blue/Yellow, G/S/C, E, D/P, BW and BW2, and XY. Delta Episode.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • I chose the Generation 5 games. What we have here is actually one game spread over 2. Indeed, the climax of Black/White is the complication of the story (read: the end of act 2). BW2, then do the entire last third of the story while actually doing a more traditional Pokemon storyline. While I'm indifferent to most of the Gen V designs, I will say that it was a smart move to *not* include classic mons in the original games. But overall the first set has nothing to do beyond the story, which isn't even resolved at the end. The sequels have to tell the last third of that story while shoehorning in its original elements.

Overall, Gen V was just badly designed and planned.

Now, I'll say that X & Y are honorable mentions as the only reason I didn't vote for them on the pool was the mechanical changes, that I can no longer live without. But you strip out the gameplay elements and YUCK! Terrible.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • OH MY FUCKING GOD I LOVE FRLG THEY ARE SOOO COOL I MEAN GEN1 WAS GODFREAKING BADASS AND THEY MOVED IT TO A NEWER SYSTEM AND CHANGED NOTHING HOLY HELL AND IT'S AWESOME AND FUCK-
    Okay I'm sorry.

Also @IcyIce :'(

I also think XY is overhated. Sheesh, the character buildup had it's flaws, I can see how people feel it could be improved on, but it's not perfect, none of the games are. I personally didn't feel XY was bad, but in fact good.
    So yeah.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    I never picked up or played Pokémon White or Black - I totally wasn't interested in these games, maybe someday I will give them a chance and play through them, but I'm just waiting for Pokémon Z o_O

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Black and White, I think. I enjoyed the games but they just never stuck out for me. I feel like I missed out on a lot in that gen, but it's whatever lol.

Back