• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Beginner's guide to inserting d/p sprites into a gba rom(No need to outline)

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Interesting. This is what I get when I resize:
317r.png

Years
This is really helpful! (I find myself coming back to thing when inserting big sprites)

But i do have one question: After inserting a sprite of Mewtwo and gone through each step correctly and then restarting UnLZ, why is the Mewtwo palette there but not the Mewtwo sprite (The original sprite is there instead)?
I've played my rom and it has the correct image within the game, but UnLZ doesn't.

Is this a bug for UnLZ or is there a problem with the offset i used? :\

stinger123

I wish to learn .!PKM HACKING!
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2010
Resizied Sprite

Interesting. This is what I get when I resize: [SPRITE] - Not allow to quote URLs until 15 posts.

Did you paste the original resized sprite over the decreased colour depth sprite in paint?

If so, then when decreasing the colour depth to 16 colours UNCHECK Floyd - SteinBerg Dithering, so you wont get those dots all over the sprite.

Tell me if you have any more problems or you don't understand this stuff ;)

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
This is really helpful! (I find myself coming back to thing when inserting big sprites)

But i do have one question: After inserting a sprite of Mewtwo and gone through each step correctly and then restarting UnLZ, why is the Mewtwo palette there but not the Mewtwo sprite (The original sprite is there instead)?
I've played my rom and it has the correct image within the game, but UnLZ doesn't.

Is this a bug for UnLZ or is there a problem with the offset i used? :\

Neither. You put the sprite in a new offset, unlz still has the old offset. It isn't a bug or anything, it is just the sprite you inserted is somewhere else, because you placed it there, and the old sprite is still in the ROM, at the offset unlz is at.

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2011
im tryin to take away ho-oh to become togekiss but it keeps saying image is not indexed
whats up with that?

stinger123

I wish to learn .!PKM HACKING!
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2010
Indexed Sprite

im tryin to take away ho-oh to become togekiss but it keeps saying image is not indexed
whats up with that?

You get the sprite of togekiss and goto infranview and decrease colour depth to 16 colour bit. Uncheck the Floyd-SteinBerg dithering and click OK. Then save it as a different name like togekiss 64 indexed or something. Open paint, copy and paste the NOT INDEXED sprite of togekiss on the indexed sprite and save it. There you go, you have successfully indexed your sprite :). Tell me if you have any more problems ;) Also if it doesn't work I can do it for you ;)

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
im trying it now...
hope it works,
and in the first paint i open up, i was trying bulbasaur(HGSS), and should i change the second or third step in paint to 100% because it got a bit smaller after i did it. also what should the dimensions of the original sprite be? My bulbasaur sprite is small but i made it 64x64. and after i changed it to 80%, bulbasaurs dimensions became 52 by 52

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
im trying it now...
hope it works,
and in the first paint i open up, i was trying bulbasaur(HGSS), and should i change the second or third step in paint to 100% because it got a bit smaller after i did it. also what should the dimensions of the original sprite be? My bulbasaur sprite is small but i made it 64x64. and after i changed it to 80%, bulbasaurs dimensions became 52 by 52

If you're sprite is already at 64x64, you do not need to resize.

Why he put resize to 80% is because 80% of 80 is 64. If your sprite isn't 80, you need to resize it to 64 pixels by 64 pizels

Do you have to put the blue out line on any sprite your doing

If you meant the background, it needs to have a colour at the background that is very different to the ones the sprite uses. Like a very very bright, eye burning pink.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
I kinda think the mods should put spoilers for the images as psyduck6199
doesn't intend on coming back anytime soon. (been friends with him for awhile)

Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
Why is it when I go to import the new sprite in and after using space finder and writing it to the ROM, if I go to the back sprite, and then go straight back to the front sprite that i just completed, the picture is the old sprite(in this case charmander) is very discolored. and where did my new sprite go? and in the game its discolored as the charmander rather than the new one. am i not getting enough space from space finder?

pghahaha

Beware of Hippopotas!
Years
Errors

Hi. I followed all steps, but unLZ told me "IMAGE NOT INDEXED"!
I am using a 64 x 64 Zigzagoon sprite with a cyan background color.
I have Windows 7.
Thx in advance!

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2011
I tryed to change the main character sprite, and it destroyed the rom.
im using ruby, followed the instructions and even used the same pallet as the original...
WHATS GOING ON???
HOW CAN I FIX IT???

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I tryed to change the main character sprite, and it destroyed the rom.
im using ruby, followed the instructions and even used the same pallet as the original...
WHATS GOING ON???
HOW CAN I FIX IT???

More details.

What exactly is now wrong with the ROM? Just saying it destroyed it isn't a specific problem, as that could mean anything.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2011
More details.

What exactly is now wrong with the ROM? Just saying it destroyed it isn't a specific problem, as that could mean anything.

The screen just freaks out and turns into a green circle. im trying to insert this guy as the main boy character:

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2011
More details.

(sorry, forgot to put in the sprite) The screen just freaks out and turns into a green circle. im trying to insert this guy as the main boy character:

Edward Newgate

Everyone is a child of the sea
Years
ok quick question...
Every time I try this, and I pasted the "Good picture" over the "messed picture" (after indexing and pallete changing), and when I try to insert it in UNLZ, it says "Image not Indexed" ...?

Can anyone help me with this?

Back