• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Anyone using MEH and SEA?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    Hi, messers-arounders! It's my first post in the Pokecommunity!

I was wondering, how many people are using MEH or SEA (or know how to use them)? I've been looking for tutorials, but I can't seem to find any.

The only computer I have right now is a Samsung ARM Chromebook with Ubuntu. It's essentially a glorified tablet, but I'm determined to hack Fire Red with it just to say I did. (I've done lots of things I shouldn't have with this thing, including designing and programming websites and Python programs.)

My sister mentioned she wanted someone to make a specific ROM hack for her birthday and I have taken up the challenge, but... I have no idea what I'm doing. Cheers!

NOTE: Because this is an ARM netbook, I can't run WINE. That means none of the usual tools I've heard about, like Advance Map Editor or XSE.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Well, both MEH and SEA are in development, and have yet to really be proven to be perfect. Because they are still pretty early on in said development, it is pretty safe to assume that people are hesitant to use them until a stable version is released, I know I am.

Basically, there's not much out there as far as tutorials go because the tools are constantly being changed and have yet to prove their stability. So, people are not quite using them on the scale that other tools are, and thus not making tutorials for them, especially if any tutorials would probably be quickly invalidated by a later release.

So, you're out of luck as far as tutorials go, because there's not much of a point in making one for an in-development tool.

As far as hacking with a tablet, I would recommend against it unless you decide to program tools specifically to be used with it, especially if the major tools are useless on it.

If you're really set on trying to using MEH and SEA, the only thing you can do is experiment with them until you figure out how to work them on your own.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    Ah, that makes sense. I guess I'll keep experimenting! MEH works fine, if a bit slowly. But I can't get SEA going at all! Do I need a script editor? Could I use any old text editor?

To be fair I guess, it's not REALLY a tablet. It's a netbook, and it's a very good Linux machine. But it's limited because it's using the same architecture (ARM-based) that lots of tablets use. While it can still handle major programs, like OpenOffice or GIMP, I can't run Windows applications on it. (Most Linux users can run Windows applications in the WINE emulator.)

I can do hex editing and ROM emulation just fine, but I'm looking for mapping and scripting tools :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2019
    It's been a while since I used Ubuntu, so I can't remember any specifics. Isn't there a Win XP or Win 7 emulator somewhere that doesn't run under WINE?

I think that might be your best bet. Also, I know G3HS has been developed under Linux, so it should definitely work.

Good luck!

Sebastian11

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2014
    I am currently also developing tools in Java, because I feel sorry for the non-windows users who suffer from the lack of cross platform tools :D Currently I am making a Lz77 graphics editor in Java, any suggestions are welcome. :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2022
    Wouldn't most of the Pokemon editing tools work in VirtualBox? I'm pretty sure your computer tablet thing would have enough ram to run a windows xp virtual machine?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    The tools DO work in VirtualBox, but this netbook isn't very good at emulating Windows :P I can use my other laptop, but I prefer working on this one. I just got SEA working, too.

I'm using the ARM Chromebook. Really light and really fast... But it's a little bit limited.

Back