• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: mention username & currency/points

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
Years
  • hey there!

not sure if other people have suggested these things before
    but anyhow

i was thinking how this wonderful forum has got a lot of fun and awesomeness to it
    and wouldn't these features mentioned in the title be nice to add and make this place even more epic? :D

mention username function is something very useful and used on a lot of forums
    and same thing with a points system/currency
    and then perhaps add a shop too where people can buy pokemon items, dolls, cards, pokeballs etc and like make it so people can collect stuff and like have it displayed underneath their avatar/mini profile
    and make it so people can trade with each other

tell me what you guys think and if it is possible for this forum though if not or if there is a specific reason why these things are not around, please do tell why that is, i am curious
    :)​

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I dislike the currency idea on many levels; as they don't really add much to the forum experience. We already have extensive customization options, for donating users especially, in regards to usertitles and such. Already the Admins have a major forum overhaul ongoing to be released. Soon™

If you would like to experience some of the customization, hop on down over to the CSS thread and get started with your signature? You can even learn how the CSS on PC works over in A&D. It's definitely a good place to start. With such versatile tools at our disposal, why limit ourselves to what such a plugin can provide?

I understand that money may even be an object, but may I point you ever forward to our Bulletin Board which houses all of the announcements as well as our social media pages which you can watch for events where we GIVE away supporter tiers, which can unlock the more interesting customizations we offer to our members who contribute.

Last edited:

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • I dislike the currency idea on many levels; as they don't really add much to the forum experience. We already have extensive customization options, for donating users especially, in regards to usertitles and such. Already the Admins have a major forum overhaul ongoing to be released. Soon™

If you would like to experience some of the customization, hop on down over to the CSS thread and get started with your signature? You can even learn how the CSS on PC works over in A&D. It's definitely a good place to start. With such versatile tools at our disposal, why limit ourselves to what such a plugin can provide?

I understand that money may even be an object, but may I point you ever forward to our Bulletin Board which houses all of the announcements as well as our social media pages which you can watch for events where we GIVE away supporter tiers, which can unlock the more interesting customizations we offer to our members who contribute.

if you put it that way
    i guess perhaps there is no need to add something like a point and shop system
    but i just thought it be a cute suggestion as a lot of forums have it and thought maybe on this lovely pokemon forum it wouldn't be bad, thats all :)​

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I think the overall concept of your idea is great, actually! We do have something along the lines of that (in regards to "collectibles") in development, but I can't say much more than that. What I can say though is that it will be a really fun feature so keep an eye out for it in the future! ;)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I dislike the currency idea on many levels; as they don't really add much to the forum experience. We already have extensive customization options, for donating users especially, in regards to usertitles and such. Already the Admins have a major forum overhaul ongoing to be released. Soon™

I'm with you and I'd like to add more on the currency points: It wouldn't do much on PC (except for bragging rights), currency points only matters if that's a main attraction of the forum.

The forum that I used to go to has a currency point system for the whole forum as part of the main thing. We could buy more customization features and other stuff through the said system. It sounds fun, but a free customization is a lot better (better than spending points to upgrade your profile). As for buying Pokeballs and dolls like the OP has suggested, it's easy: donate for a Crystal Tier/Platinum Tier and decorate your custom title. Or a simplier way, decorate your signature with CSS as Melody said. (:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Guys, she is talking about little fun things that you can collect through a points/currency system, not customisation options through them. I think such a feature would add a lot to the forum: enjoyment. That's why we are apart of this community after all. Nonetheless while I think an outright "currency" system might not really suit the community, a similar project is in the works. :)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Those dolls, cards stuff etc. are still customization features. The use for those currency are solely for buying those fancy decorations, or at least that was how the OP said. There's no use for the points system for PokeCommunity forums (maybe there could be use for the former Clubs section), but there really isn't for the whole PC.

I'm citing the previous forum I was part of (when it was still up anyway), I recall we were allowed to access some forum's sections through the use of forum currency. But there was no real point for the system other than the exclusive sections and bragging rights, tbh. (Pun not intended) It only created more problems like competition and people using the points for wrong businesses that (partially) led to the forum's shut down.

Point system is good for maybe one or two sections, for the whole forum? Don't even risk doing that, it's not worth it.

Last edited:

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • Those dolls, cards stuff etc. are still customization features. The use for those currency are solely for buying those fancy decorations, or at least that was how the OP said. There's no use for the points system for PokeCommunity forums (maybe there could be use for the former Clubs section), but there really isn't for the whole PC.

I'm citing the previous forum I was part of (when it was still up anyway), I recall we were allowed to access some forum's sections through the use of forum currency. But there was no real point for the system other than the exclusive sections and bragging rights, tbh. (Pun not intended) It only created more problems like competition and people using the points for wrong businesses that (partially) led to the forum's shut down.

Point system is good for maybe one or two sections, for the whole forum? Don't even risk doing that, it's not worth it.
    you are basing your view/opinion on these kind plugins/mods on a one time experience on just one forum? because that's what it sounds like and if so
    i don't think that is fair, as you should know a point system is not only a popular forum feature, it can be used in different ways, forum owners can be creative with it and as for a shop thing where you can spend your points, its all up to the admins what you sell, it can be anything, even simple medals/badges

i mean sure i get it if somebody doesn't care for it wether a forum has the feature or not, a forum does not NEED it but how can somebody possibly ''loathe'' it whilst to me it pretty much sounds like they don't have much experience with it anyways, hence why such people wouldn't know how wonderful it can be

i been on forums for ages and i have been on so many forums who have the feature and it is fun and a really cool thing - it is not a popular forum feature for nothing ;) , it adds more interactivity as well, not to mention it can make people stay and stick around just to collect stuff out of the forum shop, it all depends on how you use it and what you add to a shop

Guys, she is talking about little fun things that you can collect through a points/currency system, not customisation options through them. I think such a feature would add a lot to the forum: enjoyment. That's why we are apart of this community after all. Nonetheless while I think an outright "currency" system might not really suit the community, a similar project is in the works. :)
    at least one person who gets the ''fun'' factor of it haha
    you pretty much explained what i meant with the suggestion :)
    and yes such a thing can add a lot of enjoyment indeed!

ANYWAY
    sounds like you guys are already going to do something like it huh
    that is awesome
    but no point system or anything like that huh? :p

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    For the "mention username" thing you mean if I typed @Pebbles or something similar in a post it'd notify you that I tagged/mentioned you in a post, right?

That's actually one of the most requested features. No idea when it'll get implemented though.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • For the "mention username" thing you mean if I typed @Pebbles or something similar in a post it'd notify you that I tagged/mentioned you in a post, right?

That's actually one of the most requested features. No idea when it'll get implemented though.

that is the one , yes!
    oh it is one of the most requested features on here huh?
    the admins should consider adding it then haha ♥
    its something that comes in handy in many situations really, i think its a good feature to have on a forum which is why i suggested it in the first place :)
    considering this is a big forum, it wouldn't harm the place and im sure it would be a nice thing people could enjoy​

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • that is the one , yes!
    oh it is one of the most requested features on here huh?
    the admins should consider adding it then haha ♥
    its something that comes in handy in many situations really, i think its a good feature to have on a forum which is why i suggested it in the first place :)
    considering this is a big forum, it wouldn't harm the place and im sure it would be a nice thing people could enjoy​

It's already planned.

Back