• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

kishi alrdy did the work for me so yea

Years
  • Which do you prefer writing, or at least which do you find easier to write, fan-fiction or original works?

Bay

Years
  • Lately I've been doing fanfic because I would get ideas of how to develop the characters. Getting their voices down isn't easy I admit, but I'm fortunate to have friends/beta to let me know that. I used to do some original work, but I haven't been able to come up with a new one lately nor inspired to do so. Guess part of it has to do I'm able to get more writing feedback with fanfic than original work (I know there are writing groups, but in my case travel arrangements sometimes isn't easy).

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    The last time I wrote original work was back when I was eight or nine. So it's been a long time. I prefer working with fanfic because I'm terrible at coming up with original characters, so having pre-made characters to explore situations with works better for me.

Sike_Saner

*aromatisse noise*
    Years
  • Fanfic, hands down. I have to be super hecking interested in something in the first place to want to write about it, and I'm just... not sufficiently interested in coming up with an entire world 100% from scratch, haha.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • I personally just love to write what many people called "original fanfic". It is still fanfic based on already existing fictions, but instead of adapting everything especially the canon characters and canon story, only the world itself is adapted, or most of the time, adapting only the format, or the core concept.

So instead of writing fics of already existing canon characters such as Ash Ketchum and Misty and Brock and any other companions and TRio, I preferred to write stories of my own original characters. No it is not simply journey fic of original self-insert trainer going on badge quest journey with all the characters we knew already from canon. Every single character is original, and although canon maps is used (because I'm lazy to design my original region), the functioning and principles of the world is original. Especial the story format and tone itself, I wanted to write something that the canon had never done before.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Lately I've been doing fanfic because I would get ideas of how to develop the characters. Getting their voices down isn't easy I admit, but I'm fortunate to have friends/beta to let me know that. I used to do some original work, but I haven't been able to come up with a new one lately nor inspired to do so. Guess part of it has to do I'm able to get more writing feedback with fanfic than original work (I know there are writing groups, but in my case travel arrangements sometimes isn't easy).

Lots of writing groups meet online!

I personally can't get anything done writing fan-fiction. I'm inherently scared of not doing a character justice. I tend to stick to original works, we're everything's me, and my lack of quality isn't just a dressing over someone elses world.

Vagrant Pixels

Pixel Artist
    Years
  • I personally just love to write what many people called "original fanfic". It is still fanfic based on already existing fictions, but instead of adapting everything especially the canon characters and canon story, only the world itself is adapted, or most of the time, adapting only the format, or the core concept.

So instead of writing fics of already existing canon characters such as Ash Ketchum and Misty and Brock and any other companions and TRio, I preferred to write stories of my own original characters. No it is not simply journey fic of original self-insert trainer going on badge quest journey with all the characters we knew already from canon. Every single character is original, and although canon maps is used (because I'm lazy to design my original region), the functioning and principles of the world is original. Especial the story format and tone itself, I wanted to write something that the canon had never done before.

This is it! Yes

That's what I'm doing at the moment. Though, when it comes down to the world building, I prefer to also revamp or expand upon as much as I can, until satisfied. (Also, re-making/re-imagining the Pokémon concepts themselves.)
    I'd usually avoid canon characters, but on the very rare chance that one or two of them are too essential to ignore, well, in they go. I'm talking staples like Oak, for example. Characters that are so Pokémon that Pokémon isn't Pokémon enough without them.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I prefer original fiction. It helps me express myself more. I've tried writing fanfiction when I was younger though, and it always turned out to fail me. So, I got into original fiction because it allowed me to get my original ideas out better that way.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • This is it! Yes

That's what I'm doing at the moment. Though, when it comes down to the world building, I prefer to also revamp or expand upon as much as I can, until satisfied. (Also, re-making/re-imagining the Pokémon concepts themselves.)
    I'd usually avoid canon characters, but on the very rare chance that one or two of them are too essential to ignore, well, in they go. I'm talking staples like Oak, for example. Characters that are so Pokémon that Pokémon isn't Pokémon enough without them.

For me, I even removed Prof.Oak in my universe. I just don't use his importance as anything "staple" to the Pokemon universe, or more fundamentally, I don't even need his existence to establish my story.
    For anything that is canonical about my currently working Pokemon fanfic, that will merely be the world map itself, and the existence of Pokemon themselves. Every other things, including the functional concepts of gyms and league and trainer and Pokemon within one's life, are all rewritten in my own original ways.

Back