• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Pokémon don't have certain moves you think they should?

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    Flame Burst on the Fennekin line! I don't really need to say why. There's probably a lot of other Pokemon that should have this move as well. (And for some reason, Poochyena/Mightyena, Not-Fire-types, get it.)

Poochyena/Mightyena doesn't get Flame Burst in any way.
    Maybe you were thinking of Electrike/Manectric, because they get it by breeding.

The first time I trained Ninetales, I assumed I'd be able to teach it Psychic. It just seemed like it would fit its myth of cursing anyone who grabs one of its tails. Another thing I don't get thats more of an ability thing is why the Magnemite line never gets Levitate as an ability. It's obviously floating so why not? It wouldn't be OP cause it's still weak to fire and fighting.

I agree. IMO, Ninetales should have been Fire/Psychic
    or at least Fire/Ghost, curses are usually related to ghosts, aren't they?

And your right, the Magnemite line wouldn't be overpowered with levitate.
    If you want to see an overpowered Levitate Pokemon, look at Eelektross, the one weakness he has, is stopped by levitate, which he was. What the hell.

pkmin3033

Raikou should have Bolt Strike and/or Volt Tackle. Entei has Sacred Fire after all, so Raikou really ought to have a powerful move in a similar vein. With the whole "north wind" thing it has going, I think Hurricane would kind of suit Suicune as well, although that might be stretching it just a teensy bit.

Years
  • ^ Raikou wouldn't be able to make as much use out of those moves given its Attack is a lot lower than its Special Attack.

But speaking of Hurricane, two Pokémon that absolutely clamor for that move are Zapdos and Thundurus. They would get STAB on it to go along their high Special Attack stats, it would go along well with Thunder since they both get 100% accuracy in rain, and their brethren (Articuno, Moltres, and Tornadus) get the move, so they really should have it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • ^ Raikou wouldn't be able to make as much use out of those moves given its Attack is a lot lower than its Special Attack.

But speaking of Hurricane, two Pokémon that absolutely clamor for that move are Zapdos and Thundurus. They would get STAB on it to go along their high Special Attack stats, it would go along well with Thunder since they both get 100% accuracy in rain, and their brethren (Articuno, Moltres, and Tornadus) get the move, so they really should have it.
    IMO, Zapdos should have gotten Hurricane alongside the other two legendary birds.
    MAKE IT HAPPEN GF!. Really, That's really logic and I say the same. They're floating please!.

Fuck logic, How Wooper can learn Ice Punch?. How it even uses it? O.o

It most likely uses its tail for the move.

Anyway, I think that Keldeo and the Tympole line should get Ice Beam along with pretty much every Water Pokemon. It's strange to see Water Pokemon besides Magikarp that don't get Ice Beam.

Years
  • Another omnipresent move that I think needs a mention is Tyranitar getting Sucker Punch. Just imagine how much different it would have been had that move existed on it in Generation IV, as it would have three options to go for - Pursuit for switching foes, Sucker Punch for those that are faster, and Stone Edge which can target those that wouldn't dare attack. I remember reading about that on an old article Smogon had from before BW were even released.

For that matter, it does kinda stink that Sucker Punch was only a Move Tutor move in Generation IV and wasn't available in B2W2 and ORAS.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    I really think Linoone/Zigzagoon should learn Extremespeed from level up (It can get it through events and it is still a terrible competitive Pokémon with Extremespeed). Gengar (line) should be able to learn Sludge Wave through TM, who came up with the logic of it being able to learn the move through events but not TM?

Years
  • Zangoose really should be able to use Cut. Like why does it have those claws when it can't even cut a thing?

So this. There are plenty more but this one stands out to me as being totally obscure. Zangoose can learn Slash, Fury Cutter, Metal Claw, Night Slash and etc yet isn't able to learn Cut.. wat. I will never understand.

Would love to see Keldeo get Ice Beam and Ninetales get Psychic as well, especially the latter as its movepool is pretty shallow in my eyes (especially prior to the fourth generation).

Years
  • ^ Ninetales does get Extrasensory, which is slightly weaker than Psychic but has twice the PP, although they're not the same move in their own right. But Keldeo needs Ice Beam, though.

And two posts above, yes, Goodra should get Surf. It's a swamp creature, and gets Muddy Water so not being able to traverse water is pretty weird.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Arbok doesn't learn Poison Fang naturally through leveling up. What? Why not?

Koffing Should get Scald, just for my own amusement; koffee and burns go hand in hand (it's also super heated steam, which Koffing is fully capable of producing).

Yay! 900!

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    Delphox needs Thunderbolt and Dazzling Gleam. It's stupid how Greninja gets access to Ice Beam to SE Chestnaught and Chestnaught getting Earthquake to hit Delphox for SE and yet Delphox can't hit Greninja for SE damage (disregarding Protean, anyways). Especially considering that most Psychic types get Thunderbolt and Dazzling Gleam, both of which hit Greninja for SE damage. Dazzling Gleam would also punish Dragons and Dark types for attempting to switch in on it, which is decently powerful coming off 114 SpA and a 104 Speed tier to back it up with.

Charizard, Blaziken and Serperior should also get something viable to be able to fight back against the starter they are weak to of their generation while they are at it. Only problem here is that there are no real logical options, aside from giving Blaziken Grass Knot (given that tons of other starters can use it), that would suit their best stats ingame. Another problem is the implication of giving Serperior Earth Power. Given that it gets Contrary Leaf Storm, Earth Power or any other good Ground coverage I can easily see pushing it into the realm of brokeness.

CoffeeDrink

Years
  • Dedenne should have gotten Draining Kiss. coupled with Parabolic Charge that would have been great, but nope didn't happen. Weezing should have gotten Gunk Shot and there is a complete lack of Ice moves for non-Ice Type Pokemon. I think Frost Breath should be learned by more than just Ice Types but that's just me I guess. Upset that Ice beam is limited to Water and Ice types (some Psychic Pokémon can learn Ice beam as well).

Years
  • Sadly, Grass-types and Ice-types really get the short end of the stick, unless the latter is paired up with another typing to benefit it (i.e. Jynx or Mamoswine), and Serperior was no exception given all it gets to use Contrary with are Grass-type attacks, Hidden Power and Dragon Pulse. It needed something like Earth Power - heck, even Dark Pulse might have been decent.

CoffeeDrink

Years
  • I agree somewhat. Ice types are extremely limited unless paired, like you said, but I think Grass types are some of the more versatile, and if not that, functional. Leech Seeds, Powwders, Ingrains, they have a large selection of recovery and stealing moves (the most out of all types I think): Giga Drain, Mega Drain, Absorb, Ingrain, Leech Seed, and something else I'm sure I've forgotten. . . Synthesis! There we go, just remembered that one. But I will agree that without a pairing both types can be crippled with a lack of moves that can be learned.

Google2.0

Stand Alone Complex
    Years
  • Snorlax should be able to learn slack off, that's the first thing that comes to my mind.

Completely relevant image here:

Spoiler:

Also, this, lol.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Ya know what's another one? Why does Chesnaught not get Stealth Rock? It learns Spikes, and Stealth Rock is far better for it since Flying types don't want to switch into rocks but lol at Spikes. I mean, fucking Chansey can use Stealth Rock. What gives?

Years
  • To answer as to why Kyurem doesn't get Ice Punch... I'm gonna guess because of how small the normal form's arms are in its sprite? But it still doesn't really make much sense. I mean, it doesn't even get Ice Fang, while the other two tao trio members get their respective fangs, and that's sad.

And a minor one, but given that Drowzee and Hypno's Pokédex entries state that they eat the dreams of their opposition, you'd think they would learn Dream Eater by level-up (they're the Hypnosis Pokémon, even), but nope, only by TM. I would wish they'd have more than that.

Years
  • walrein should learn mist, to reset oponent's stats

I think that's Haze you're thinking of. :P

Also, i'm left wondering why Machamp can't learn Hammer Arm. It has four arms, so it seems like a move that it would be able to use both sensually and effectively. Likewise, Iron Fist as an ability would make sense for it, but Conkeldurr already has that as its Hidden Ability so yeah.

Back