• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

hippopotas stall gogo! (aka "D_A PLEASE COME ANNIHILATE MY TEAM")

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    hippopotas stall gogo!
    Spr_b_g4_449_m.png
    Spr_b_g4_211.png
    Spr_b_g4_207_m.png
    Spr_b_g4_346.png
    Spr_b_g4_442.png
    Spr_b_g4_184.png

Okay so I joined a tourney at Smogon a while back, and the idea of the tournament is that I'm supposed to build my team around some sort of theme. I've tried Sunny Day, Rain Dance, and Hail; all three of them never really worked out for me. Running a stall team in sandstorm has actually been really cool. However... I've come to a point where I really can't think of anything else to change my team, but I still think it can get better. Thus, it's RMT time. This is obviously for UU, so yeah. I'll have some comments on each Pokemon and then some conclusionifications later.

Spr_4p_449_m.png

Hippopotas (M) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP/164 Atk/92 Def
    Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Yawn
    - Roar
    - Earthquake

Okay, so, Hippopotas here has been a really cool lead. Against most leads, I tend to Yawn first more than anything, especially against other entry hazard-ers. Now, if they tried to set up or anything, I get in some free rocks while they either switch out or attack, breaking the sash, and fall to sleep. If they instead attack first, it puts them in a situation where they lose their lead to sleep, or I get rocks up. Either scenario is really okay with me in general. When I'm faced with a Taunt user like Qwilfish or Electrode, I usually just spam EQ. There have been times when Hippopotas manages to scout 1/2, if not 2/3 of my opponent's team by spamming Roar and Yawn effectively. Regardless, Hippopotas does it's job, and it does it well as a lead.
    Against the top 10 leads;
    Ani480OD.png
    - Uxie is a dumb. Some of them run Lum Berry, some of them don't. Some of them TrickScarf, some of them don't. Some run some retarded set that I don't know. Regardless, I SR first against Uxie, and then respond accordingly.
    Ani424OD.png
    - Tomb takes the impending Fake Out well, and then gets a free CM while they U-turn.
    Ani481OD.png
    - This is in the same boat as Uxie, except more and more run Lum Berry, so Yawn is definitely not an option.
    Ani139OD.png
    - I Yawn it as it either uses SR or Surf. In both cases, I'll just stay in and use my own SR.
    Ani442OD.png
    - rofl at the sprite lolol. I have yet to see one (gogo random lead pokes nowadays) but I believe that Cradily can come in on either the offensive or defensive lead sets (also offensive > defensive btw).
    Ani065OD.png
    - I tend to just skip straight to Spiritomb for impending Psychic/whatever. I won't, however, use CM after this as if Zam encores it, Spiritomb becomes some cool setup bait.
    Ani091OD.png
    - read: omastar
    Ani146OD.png
    - I'll just get up SR and die, usually.
    Ani449OD.png
    - I always always always Yawn it. They always always always SR. From then on it's basically me scouting and setting up SR.
    Ani211OD.png
    /
    Ani101OD.png
    - These can basically go together as I generally have to do the same to them. They have the possibility of Taunting me, so in order to not give them a free turn I spam EQ. If 'Trode sets up Rain Dance, I have to switch out so that I can bring sandstorm back in later if I get the chance. I've been thinking about seeing if I can EV Hippopotas to OHKO either of these leads, but idk if it is possible in the first place. ~_~
    Spr_4h_211.png

Qwilfish (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Poison Point
    EVs: 248 HP/152 Def/4 Spd/104 SDef
    Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Pain Split
    - Poison Jab
    - Taunt/Explosion

Qwilfish is like the sexiest spiker in UU. Or in all of Pokemon. :] Qwil comes in on a lot of things, but it usually tends to be bulky waters who try to Toxic something (though not Slowbro/king as they have psychic a lot). He gets up Spikes like a good little man. Qwilfish generally doesn't get out until later game, after I have found their spinner and weakened/beaten it. I dunno why, that's just the way it has worked.

Lastly, that last slot has been both Taunt and Boom. I've had Taunt and been in a situation that I wished I had Boom; I've had Boom and been in a situation that I wished I had Taunt. I really dunno which one is better. :[

Spr_4h_207_m.png

Gligar (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
    Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Toxic
    - Roost
    - Aerial Ace

Gligar is a cool and really underrated poke. It easily comes in on a vast majority of physical attackers in UU. Most of those then have to rely on Stone Edge's shaky accuracy to hit Gligar, and that gets even harder with Sand Veil and with Gligar actually being a fast Rooster. Rhyperior in particular gets annihilated by this set.

I run Aerial Ace over Stone Bad because I tend to switch Gligar into fighting types more than anything, and one time an uncool RP Torterra came in and swept what was left of my team.

Spr_4d_346.png

Cradily (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Suction Cups
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
    Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Sleep Talk
    - Rest
    - Rock Slide
    - Curse

Mmm, Cradily. Easily the most kickass member of my team. The set is really easy to understand, so I won't explain it. I really rely on this guy to come in on a lot of things, especially a lot of special attacks. Once he's got his curses up and going, Cradily isn't stopped by much (except fighting types, which Gligar beats anyway).

Spr_4p_442.png

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def
    Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Calm Mind
    - Dark Pulse

Alright, before D_A comes in and eats me, I just want to say that no, Tomb does not beat Hitmontop. He is, however, my general spinblocker and stuff. This is really where I question my team; I would like something that can break those rapid spinners, but also I'm in love with Spiritomb's Dark-typing and general bulkiness. Without Tomb, an Alakazam can KO at least one if not more of my team members, and I actually like to have all of them. Anyway, the set is easy to understand, again. Having two Restalkers is actually kind of nice. :]

Spr_4h_184.png

Azumarill (M) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Huge Power
    EVs: 252 HP/240 Atk/16 Spd
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Aqua Jet
    - Waterfall
    - Return
    - Superpower

Okay so this is my team's designated revenge killer, for things I cannot manage to break with entry hazards and whatever else I have on hand. Also, this annihilates Clefable, which is a bastard to the rest of my team by Encoring everything. It's rather standard, but with Superpower over Ice Punch because, as elf said, Return hits Grass-types hard enough anyway. Superpower lets me hit a lot of other cool things super-effectively.
    ---

Remember how at the beginning I said this was for a tourney? Yeah, it is. That tourney requires that I have a certain amount of things that revolve around the theme, so that means I must keep Hippopotas (lol), Cradily, and Gligar, all three which are basically centralized and have to be here anyway. ~_~
    this also means that my opponents will be using teams around rain dance, sunny day, hail, gravity, and trick room. if you have any particular comments about being weak to any of those or something, please tell me especially. :C

Now, I have laddered with this team a lot, and it has been beaten (although generally from my own mistakes as opposed to flat-out beaten), but I also have not seen the entirety of the metagame, so there might be a bunch of weaks that I just haven't seen yet. As far as I can tell, I'm not really weak against any particular type (blah Ice) so yeah. I'd really like some comments especially on my Ghost-y situation there with the whole "I don't beat foresight top" thing, but I also kind of don't want to give up Spiritomb. But anyway, I'd love to have a rate and stuff, especially since I have to use this very soon (my match is later tomorrow, actually) and I'd like it to actually not suck. Thanks again. :D

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

On Gligar, replace Aerial Ace with Taunt. Aerial Ace isn't good for anything really, especially when you only have 186 Attack with that EV spread. STAB Earthquake also does more damage than supereffective Aerial Ace btw.
    Taunt is a better move since it prevents recovery and stops opponents from setting up. It's like insurance against opposing stall teams and may force switch outs.

Azumarril doesn't belong on this team. Use Hitmontop instead. At least Top can Rapid Spin while also retaining the ability to beat Clefable. Your Top will also be important should you face another stall team and clearing entry hazards will really improve the longevity of your team.

Hitmontop @Leftovers
    Intimidate
    Impish Nature
    252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

-Rapid Spin
    -Foresight
    -Close Combat
    -Sucker Punch

For Qwilfish, try both Taunt AND Explosion on the same set. Poison Jab isn't going to do much good seeing as Poison attacks suck.

A cleric Clefable can really help you out, but you don't have much room for it.

One way to beat opponent Hitmontops is to switch in Qwilfish and explode on it before it can Rapid Spin. Of course, you'll be sacrificing your Spiker but hopefully you'll have set up a couple layers before then.

This team may have trouble with Rain teams as those teams have at least two-three Rain Dancers while you only have one Hippopotas who cannot take a Water attack at all. Unfortunately, the restrictions of this tournament prevent you from doing that much to counter them (and Rain teams are pretty hard to counter in general).

Anyways good luck. You'll need it especially since your first opponent is Synre. =O

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Last edited:

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
  • ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    STAB Earthquake also does more damage than supereffective Aerial Ace btw.
    Aerial Ace has STAB too on Gligar. Non supereffective Aerial Ace does 90 damage while super-effective Aerial Ace does 180 damage compared to STAB Earthquake's 150 on a neutral foes.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    stuff

Okay, I'll try Taunt on Gligar. I don't know whether it will be more useful than Aerial Ace, but heck, I'll give it a try. :)

And yeah. Azu really feels out of place. When I was building this, I really was just kind of thinking on type issues I might have, and I needed some sort of Water resist that wasn't weak to Ice, and I needed something to beat Clefable. Hitmontop sounds like it could really help out though. I'll try him out as well.

The idea of having Poison Jab on Qwil was to be able to hit other bulky waters which he loves to come in and set up on. However, after thinking that over too, Qwil's main reason in here is to come in and set up Spikes, so I don't really need to be killing off his set up bait. :D

Yeah, I don't see where a Clefable could fit either. :C

@ Hitmontop: I could also bring in Gligar and Taunt it from Foresighting, and then play around Rapid Spin with Spiritomb, but that takes a lot of prediction and I'm really not the best at that. :(

Yes, I've been beaten by Rain Dance before a lot. I dunno really what I could do to stop them from mashing my entire team, save predication/endless switching around.

Aha, hopefully I don't get too broken. :D

Thanks AB. I appreciate it.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Aerial Ace has STAB too on Gligar. Non supereffective Aerial Ace does 90 damage while super-effective Aerial Ace does 180 damage compared to STAB Earthquake's 150 on a neutral foes.

Not to mention what Aerial Ace hits for super-effectives damage (Grass and Bug-types) resist Earthquake (except Fighting).

Back