• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Improvment of Realism

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • During the years, we've seen that video games have been chasing and developing more and more towards quality that we can sort of relate to real life. Or if you want a visual example, we've seen the graphics of video games "evolve" from this:

Spoiler:

to this:

Spoiler:

(Even though, yes, the two games aren't relatable, the point I'm making here is the graphics changing over the years)

As we reach the point where real images are indistinguishable from the renders we have in our video games, where else does the video game industry have to go? While Nintendo focuses on innovative ideas of how to play instead of massively increased graphics, soon all video game systems will have to have that mindset, as graphics can only improve so far.

So, basically, from this discussion, what do you think about the graphical changes to more "realism" in video games? Is it a good idea for gaming companies to have the games be realistically as possible to the real world? Did the constant improvements of video game realism effect the way you, or perhaps, any other gamer experience gameplay? Do you have any other thoughts to share?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Graphics doesn't make a game good; it's the gameplay. Some games aren't meant to have hyper-realistic graphics like MGS4 and FFXIII. I really can't image Mario looking something like this:

Spoiler:

I still want my cel-shaded/cartoonish graphics alive. ;_;

Princess Sandshrew

PokéRespect
    Years
  • Graphics doesn't make a game good; it's the gameplay.

While this is in part true, one should no forget that visuals do play a part in how a game feels to play.

I find that a realistic visual style does aid in immersion into a game, though it should not be pursued at the loss of good, fun gameplay.
    No one aspect of a game will stand up on its own nearly as well as it would with good visuals, sound etc.

In the end it is up to the developers to decide what kind of style best suits the game they want to create.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Games are actually not becoming more realistic; they're taking on whatever the chosen art style is with greater fidelity, which is only a good thing as far as I've seen. If that style happens to a realism, then it's generally in a game to which such an aesthetic is suitable. Mario will never look like in the above-posted image because that has never been the intention of the designers

While Nintendo focuses on innovative ideas of how to play instead of massively increased graphics, soon all video game systems will have to have that mindset, as graphics can only improve so far.
    Why are gameplay and graphics being constantly treated as such exclusive entities? They both affect each other, sometimes quite heavily.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Going for realism may wow the generation the first time, but as time goes it gets dated pretty quickly. I hate you for using The Last of Us as an example because the artstyle is beautiful, so for the sake making my point, I think the original Punch Out is much nicer to look at than say, Call of Duty 4 today. Because it was in an incapable hardware, Punch Out had to make up for it with the art style to look good, and it succeeded. Not only is it one of the best looking NES games, but it's just colorful and charming. Without the risk of going hyperbolic, I think Punch Out holds up really well in regards to visual. Call of Duty 4 was already surpassed by the next game, and on and on, and now it just looks dated.

Going for a much more distinctive artstyle rather than realism is what's best. That's why games like Crash Bandicoot, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Okami and most 2D games are considered timeless.
    Graphics doesn't make a game good; it's the gameplay. Some games aren't meant to have hyper-realistic graphics like MGS4 and FFXIII. I really can't image Mario looking something like this:
    Gameplay and graphics aren't mutually exclusive. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to play a game that looks like shovelware no matter how good it is. Also, MGS4 and FXIII aren't hyper-realistic or that realistic at all, stop saying stuff you don't know about.

Back