• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Constitutions (2nd Amendment/Gun control debate)

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
  • This irritates me, koff~

Let me be perfectly clear. Hello, those who would label everyone who owns an 'assault rifle' as a ridiculous person or a gun nut: You are sorely mistaken and deceived. "Well, CoffeeDrink, what's the purpose of owning an assault rifle?" Stop calling it that! Assault rifle? Are you kidding me? Sure, there are military styled rifles, but that's it! You can't legally buy yourself an assault rifle, if you can even call them that! Stop. Please, please, please, for your own good and intellect do not call them assault rifles, and do not bring up the 'why do you own one?' topic.

I have already established that
    1. assault rifles, as you put them, account for around %1 (hovering about there) of all the shooting deaths in the US
    2. assault rifles are harder to conceal
    3. would you rather take a .308 to your chest or a 5.56?
    4. they're harder to conceal.

Hunting rifles for instance, look like regular po-dunk, non threatening hunting rifles. Turns out they can carry heavier ordnance than your assault rifles. The shells are heavier, they can fire at the same rate, they have an attached scope, often times they are just as easy to piece together, they can have magazines the same as your semi-auto assault rifles. For the love of all that you believe in please do not raise the question "why do you need an assault rifle?" ever again.

Would you question me purchasing a sniper (hunting) rifle that chambered the same rounds? Remember in Battlefield, where you can take off the scope off a sniper rifle and run around the map wasting people with it? Remember how they're semi-automatic and can kill just as effectively? Stop with the assault rifles bit. It's old, it's tired, it's a useless argument. Any gun can kill you if it hits you in the brain. Handguns can do this, rifles can do this, hell, why aren't you putting shotguns on trial here? Have you seen what slug shells can do to a man? Missing limbs and violent death. That is what a shotgun offers, and in actuality is far more effective at dispatching 'crowds' of people.

Enough with the 'lethal assault rifles' already. Please. They're semi-auto and pose no greater threat than a handgun. If you make the argument that rifles can hold more rounds than a handgun: Five-Seven. The FN Herstal Five-Seven comes standard with a 20+1 round magazine and can have a 30+1 magazine fitted for the thing. Are we done? Can we all say that a bullet to the mendula oblongata, no matter the caliber or the weapon, will kill you almost instantaneously? Please drop the assault rifle bit. You'll be laughed out of the gun club. Try it. Bring it up with a gun store owner. He'll tell you what I told you. No more of this 'assault rifle' business, koffi~

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • The gun debate, on both sides, is ... pointless.

There, I said it, it's an exercise in futility. Why? On those against guns, the excuses are always attempting to blame a machine, a tool, for the actions of the one using it, which does nothing to fix a problem. The people who want guns often just whine like kids who have their toys taken away from them for misbehaving. Try this, take the word "gun" out of the equation, this is really a debate on how to further reduce violent criminal activity, and there has been only one proven method for that, short of removing everyone's freedom. Education, or at least better education. For one thing, challenging people tends to distract them from such thoughts as "I want to see this person dead." Not to mention, the more a person knows about reality, the less they are inclined to turn to criminal activity for any reason.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Education, or at least better education. For one thing, challenging people tends to distract them from such thoughts as "I want to see this person dead." Not to mention, the more a person knows about reality, the less they are inclined to turn to criminal activity for any reason.

Thought about that, koff~

I thought it'd be great to have scientists left and right, but then quickly realized it'd be an exercise in futility. Sadly, no one can be offered the same opportunities as the other, and some turn towards crime, which can and quite often pays better than a straight job working at Kinko's. True, countries with a higher education have less gang violence (I just made that up, I didn't check or anything, so I'll just take your word on this. You could have said bananas make less criminals and I would have said sure) but they also see their fair share of crime. Japan for instance and their endless Yakuza issues, but any C student in Japan can most likely smoke one of America's A students for breakfast, that's just the way it is. They still got crime, and they got less people. Less people equals less crime, that I know for sure is true.

We also have a massive debt to everyone and are too greedy to dole it out to the needy and love to build tanks, planes, bombs and missiles instead. It's sick, really. When you look at how we handle things. . . Here: Hitler was a bad cat, right? Turns out he dragged his country's sorry ass out of debt and put it to work manufacturing guns, tanks, planes, and creating a military state. This served a purpose. While the US and the 'Elected Officials' who are 'looking out for us' like blowing a Trillion dollars on the complete F-35 project (20yrs or so). It's almost sad to think that Hitler was more of a hero to his own people than our leaders are to us, koffi~

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • Thought about that, koff~

I thought it'd be great to have scientists left and right, but then quickly realized it'd be an exercise in futility. Sadly, no one can be offered the same opportunities as the other, and some turn towards crime, which can and quite often pays better than a straight job working at Kinko's. True, countries with a higher education have less gang violence (I just made that up, I didn't check or anything, so I'll just take your word on this. You could have said bananas make less criminals and I would have said sure) but they also see their fair share of crime. Japan for instance and their endless Yakuza issues, but any C student in Japan can most likely smoke one of America's A students for breakfast, that's just the way it is. They still got crime, and they got less people. Less people equals less crime, that I know for sure is true.

We also have a massive debt to everyone and are too greedy to dole it out to the needy and love to build tanks, planes, bombs and missiles instead. It's sick, really. When you look at how we handle things. . . Here: Hitler was a bad cat, right? Turns out he dragged his country's sorry ass out of debt and put it to work manufacturing guns, tanks, planes, and creating a military state. This served a purpose. While the US and the 'Elected Officials' who are 'looking out for us' like blowing a Trillion dollars on the complete F-35 project (20yrs or so). It's almost sad to think that Hitler was more of a hero to his own people than our leaders are to us, koffi~

You do make some good points, but whenever you try to point out that population is one of the largest problems in the world, most people make up lame excuses of why it's not a factor.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2017
    You do make some good points, but whenever you try to point out that population is one of the largest problems in the world, most people make up lame excuses of why it's not a factor.

well yea population is a problem... but can people fix it?

Years
  • Try this, take the word "gun" out of the equation, this is really a debate on how to further reduce violent criminal activity, and there has been only one proven method for that, short of removing everyone's freedom.
    I would disagree. There are still issues of young people, particularly young boys and men, using guns to commit suicide and there's the wider issue of children getting their hands on guns. Also, there's the problem of domestic disputes (in households where no party is a criminal) getting out of control and guns being brought in - there's a domestic violence issue that guns can exacerbate.

Education, or at least better education. For one thing, challenging people tends to distract them from such thoughts as "I want to see this person dead." Not to mention, the more a person knows about reality, the less they are inclined to turn to criminal activity for any reason.
    I would agree with this though. Better education can go a very long way. It's probably not entirely coincidental that among developed countries the US is pretty low in terms of education quality and also pretty high in terms of violence.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • I would disagree. There are still issues of young people, particularly young boys and men, using guns to commit suicide and there's the wider issue of children getting their hands on guns. Also, there's the problem of domestic disputes (in households where no party is a criminal) getting out of control and guns being brought in - there's a domestic violence issue that guns can exacerbate.

I would agree with this though. Better education can go a very long way. It's probably not entirely coincidental that among developed countries the US is pretty low in terms of education quality and also pretty high in terms of violence.

Notice how you mention the real problem, then say "and they got a gun?" Remove the gun part from the equation on all of those. Just try it, suicide and abuse we can address, those are serious problems, does the fact there is a gun involved change how serious they are? If so, then you are saying there are acceptable forms of suicide and abuse.

Years
  • Notice how you mention the real problem, then say "and they got a gun?" Remove the gun part from the equation on all of those. Just try it, suicide and abuse we can address, those are serious problems, does the fact there is a gun involved change how serious they are? If so, then you are saying there are acceptable forms of suicide and abuse.

I don't know if the availability of guns affects the suicide rate (it probably doesn't) but suicide by shooting is nonetheless violent. Hmm, that's true, I don't see how guns would make suicide "worse".

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • I don't know if the availability of guns affects the suicide rate (it probably doesn't) but suicide by shooting is nonetheless violent. Hmm, that's true, I don't see how guns would make suicide "worse".

Precisely my point. ;)

There are millions of ways to kill yourself, and suicide is not an act of convenience, it's planned and plotted long before the act. Putting "with a gun" doesn't make suicide about guns all of the sudden.

Abuse is very common, especially in the US, from and between parental units. It devastates lives, and even causes death in some cases. Does adding the fact there was a gun in the house make the abusive behavior all about guns? I would hope not.

Back