• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Sprites!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Personally, I really love the GSC sprites. I like the way the colors are done and that's usually what gives me the urge to play gen II is just thinking about the sprites. They just really appeal to me, even years later.

What are some of your favorite sprites for this generation?

Spr_2s_113.png

I really love how Chansey looks in Silver. So cute!

Spr_2g_135.png

Silver has a cute Jolteon sprite as well, but something about Gold's is even cuter.

Spr_2c_243.png

Thank goodness Crystal salvaged Raikou here. It looks terrible in Gold and Silver. lol

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 11, 2017
I agree. They're nostalgic and charming and not as good as today's sprites but lightyears better than Red/Blue. Perfect balance for me!

I played Silver the most so my favorite has always been
157.gif

Slowpoke has to be the cutest though
079.gif

But the best of all. By far...
202.gif

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
The rby sprites are kinda of a mixed bag, i think the sprites really came into their own in gsc, crystal in particular. I just loved the animated sprites. Not to bash the newer ones, but the newer sprites just rubs me in the wrong way, i dont know why.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
The GSC sprites are the best, and I prefer them to the 3D models we have now lol.

Some of my favorites include:

40.gif

237.gif

240.gif

157.gif

94.gif

121.gif

68.gif

137.gif

All from Crystal obviously but yeah.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The GSC sprites are the best, and I prefer them to the 3D models we have now lol.

I feel this so hard. I think what I dislike most about the new models is that the colors are really washed out and I just don't feel like they have a lot of personality, if that makes sense? Even the gen V sprites, while fully animated, still had a lot of spunk in them, I think. And the colors were vibrant. But I suppose comparing the sprites and 3D models is a topic for another day, haha.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I love the Zubat's sprite in crystal. The best Zubat ever Imo. Better than 3D.

Goatman56

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
I'm to lazy to post an image, but I feel Cleffa looked better and much more cute in GSC.

Years
GSC had really amazing sprites! Even now in 2016 they remain my favorite and I'm really happy looking at the ones you guys posted.

Chansey really is cute in Silver and this is the first time I'm seeing it. ;o; Never encountered one in Silver since I mostly played Crystal and Gold.

Here are some I adore:

136.png

Happy fluff!

181.png

Was debating using this one in my avatar but in the end the Gold sprite came out on top, but it's still very cute.

251.png

Celebi looks really mythical here and something about the pose reels me in. =) What I would've gave to own one back in the day..

'n these cuties:
184.gif
203.gif
52.gif
35.gif
249.gif

Years
I love the simple colouration of this generation's sprites. My fave of the Crystal animations include Ampharos, Butterfree, Teddiursa, Psyduck, Pikachu and Marill but I love all the animations anyway.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I still find that the GSC sprites hold up very well, especially Crystal's animated sprites. Great colors and lines, and the animations added great personality to the Pokémon (unlike the animated sprites from the later Gen 3/4 games, which just seemed to have the Pokémon bounce around for a couple of frames).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 17, 2017
The Gen II Sprites are still my favorite sprites of all the generations. Their poses all just seem to have so much personality in them. Though many of the later generation's sprites are great too and overall +1 on them being better than the 3d models overall.

I don't think I can even list which ones are my favorite I have so many haha.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
GSC had really amazing sprites! Even now in 2016 they remain my favorite and I'm really happy looking at the ones you guys posted.

Chansey really is cute in Silver and this is the first time I'm seeing it. ;o; Never encountered one in Silver since I mostly played Crystal and Gold.

Here are some I adore:

136.png

Happy fluff!

181.png

Was debating using this one in my avatar but in the end the Gold sprite came out on top, but it's still very cute.

251.png

Celebi looks really mythical here and something about the pose reels me in. =) What I would've gave to own one back in the day..

'n these cuties:
184.gif
203.gif
52.gif
35.gif
249.gif

Those Flareon and Celebi sprites <3 I agree with you! They are so adorable/fascinating. I love the pokémon and I love those sprites.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
With how Chikorita appeared from the back (kinda red-ish) I ALWAYS thought it was shiny lol. So I always thought of Chikorita as kinda special.

152.png

ngl Silver's look terrible lol EVERYTHING IS IN A WEIRD POSE.

although Bellossom in silver is better!

182.png

I like...

12.gif

52.gif

92.gif

93.gif

149.gif

182.gif

209.gif

250.gif

I did get shiny Cleffa from that egg in either Gold or Crystal, whichever it was...
173.gif

BUT WITH SUCH A HIGH CHANCE OF BEING SHINY I don't count it as my first :c

Coolest shiny sprites:
245.gif

203.gif

182.gif

154.gif

151.gif

132.gif

87.gif

73.gif

43.gif

12.gif

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
Years
Here's some of my top faves~

18.gif

Always always loved how fluffy Pidgeot looked here, and how Pidgeot's tuft of feathers looked, tbh. Soo pretty.

26.gif

Aah this sprite's definitely a newfound love but. Raichu here's so chubby and cute. Irresistable ; _;

174.gif

Just look at iiiit. ;v;

176.gif

Maybe a lil biased 'cause Togetic's one of my favorite Pokémon, but this sprite is just too darn adorable. Anything Togetic is adorable though, really.. xD;

182.gif

♥ My favorite Bellossom sprite personally, though the gen 6 one is nice I always loved the dance Bellossom did, hehe.

189.gif

Puffffbaall. And omg the feet. Cuute.

190.gif

Aipom and his grabby tail I've always found super cute, but here is just aaa. =')

Back