• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Companions

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Throughout Ash had a variety of friends travelling alongside on his journey, and have made appearance on almost each and every episode of whatever season they were featured; these characters consist of Brock, Misty, May, Cilan, Max, and many others. Of them all, which do you think have been able to make the biggest impact among fans? Which would you say fit the role better as a whole? Which companion is your personal favorite, and why? In future, which of them would you like to see return, if they could?

rom hunter

tongue-tied
    Years
  • Brocko! The answer to your first three questions. Can't imagine the show without Brock.

Now about the character I would like to see return to the show... Well, first I thought of Misty. I really missed her a lot at the start of Advanced Generation. But later it didn't mattered much. Now the only character I want to see return is Max. I want to see him return as a grown up trainer having his own pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    The only character in particular that actually needs to return is Misty. For starters, unlike the other main characters, Misty was forced out of actually pursuing her goal due to her sisters and the gym. They should have her return, if not to the main cast, then at least have her, when she inevitably leaves, actually pursue her goal as a Water Pokémon Master instead of returning to the gym again.

Thanks to Pokémon effectively stopping people from aging, we can't expect Max to return since he's younger than 10, and at least May, Dawn, and Iris actually can pursue their goal (and besides, with the possible exception of Iris, I didn't like them due to matching an offensive stereotype), Tracey already has fulfilled his goal, and even Brock at least is pursuing his goal, even if he changed it.

Years
  • I've adored May for as long as I can remember. She's spunky, fun, and had so much personality plus her rival interactions were more than amusing to watch. Saddens me that she's not around anymore but at least I'll always know she made the Hoenn and Kanto saga pleasant to watch. Watching her grow from someone who hated Pokemon to a knowledgeable coordinator was more than I could ask for.

Cilan too.. ahh. He was the main reason I enjoyed B/W as much as I did. Granted I know many people got tired of him quickly I found him really cute and of course being a butler meant brownie points. :') iiits tasting time

FifePokemon

AlShao
    Years
  • Great topic!

In terms of the greatest impact on fans, i guess many would say the initial duo of Brock and Misty for sentimental reasons, and rightly so as they are fine characters than help Ash develop into a confident trainer. I especially feel that Brock and his guidance helped Ash grow, hence his longevity within the series, i felt at times he played somewhat of an elder sibling role in encouraging Ash.

As for my favourite companion, i'll choose a male and female. The male would be Brock, he's a pretty cool guy all round and i really like how he pursued goal of becoming the worlds best breeder which then morphs into him seeking a future as a pokemon doctor. My favourite female companion is May, particularly because i like how she develops through the Hoenn series from a shy trainer who knows little about pokemon to a confident co-ordinator who is then able to depart on her own journey afterwards (I do also really like Misty and Dawn, but May just shades it).

I'd quite like to see Misty return more frequently if possible but for now i'm not sure how a return of a past companion might fit into the new series. I'll take any of them though, just for the nostalgia!

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • Brocko! The answer to your first three questions. Can't imagine the show without Brock.

Now about the character I would like to see return to the show... Well, first I thought of Misty. I really missed her a lot at the start of Advanced Generation. But later it didn't mattered much. Now the only character I want to see return is Max. I want to see him return as a grown up trainer having his own pokemon.

haha I was about to say the same thing about Max. With his Ralts he was determined to find again when he's older. :D Problem with that is the anime apparently hasn't passed more then a year and a few months since the first episode :/ Forget how old Max was but i think a year or two and he'd be ready.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    This is gonna be longer post, but i feel to truly understand why this particular companion is my favorite and would like to see it return saying this much was needed.

Everyone have their own favorite, character they grew attached to, were able to affiliate themelves and symphatize for their flaws, personality traits, backstory ,effort put in accomplishing outlined desires etc.

For me that character with who i could relate myself to and experience most enjoyment, quality thought complexity and interesting plots making me excited and interested what would come out of it would be Misty.

Reason i liked/like Misty the most is because of strong, outspoken personality having many sides and quirks to her bringing lot of humor, drama and endearment in cast. Because of touching past having to live in sister shadow being constantly degraded having to work hard for everything she accomplished. Because of unique niche of being one type trainer striving to become best with water type, her pokemon and strong sense of presence managing to remain active despite not having fully fleshed out story like May and Dawn. I also liked her attitude standing up for weak, not letting others to put her down and often taking initiative to move things forward giving to others motivation to never give up from their dreams.

Imo character value shouldn't be measured by how much he does, but by how valuable and important things he brought to show were and how much of impact he left in general. And way i see it Misty contributed alot. She brought lot of sharp and witty humor, flamboyant dynamics and comedy in cast. Helped Ash to grow as trainer ad person helping him abut basics and making sure to stay out of trouble. Entered various races, tournaments and contests, often influenced story by saving other lives, getting group out of danger(such as from sunk ship convincing berserk pokemon to stop with destruction, baited Ash out of jail, took care of Ash, Brock or Tracey when they were poisoned or sick etc), came up with various jokes and solutions to clues solving mystery behind kidnapped pokemon, helped others which had issues with older siblings and friends to fight for themselves ,preventing natural disasters caused by pokemon or human factor etc.

She had plots and story too. Like complex of inferiority imposed on her by sisters, had goal of becoming water master, strive to learn as much as she can about pokemon types and some day meet and catch legendary water type. Had fears which posed obstacle on her way like Gyarados and bugs along with often giving us insight in her fears ans struggles she went through getting some valuable growth(like overcoming childhood fear, improving as trainer, earning sisters respect and becoming more confident and levelheaded valuing her friendship with others.

Personally i find Misty is great character and most captivating, emotional companion Ash had which never got chance to be used to full potential with lot of material about story ending unused/unfinished. And if by some miracle she ever returns again whether through appearance or something more i would welcome it.

Because at end of the day who are we without past, without traits which define us and with no legacy we could leave for futue generations behind ourselves?
    Person without identity.

Same applies to pokemon anime. With older characters being ones which builded this show history, played role in developing its stoiryline and left impact on it making it more popular, accesible and recognized worldwide.

Older characters coming back is requied if you want to have quality based storyline, connection to past and events which preceded to what is set to happen in future. Increasing continuity, make story more cohesive and better connected. Thus acknowledging on charisma and influence Ash past friends left on pokemon, strong tight bonds and friendship which should exist between them and main hero. While giving to viewers updates, chance to enjoy in their favorites, their silly antics, fluid characterization and passionate traits deserving that their unfinished story, dreams, goals they work toward to, unsolved isues and personality get explored more and remain relevant in some way.

And out of all replaced Ash companions i want Misty to come back the most. We havent sen her for very long time and unexpected return would be a nice twist and change of things bringing something unexpected yet new on table.
    It would be interesting to see how she would interact with new characters adding that extra flavor to character dynamic making it better.Purpose could be to advance her goal and since many things are left unfinished about her past,ambitions,goal of water pokemon master etc it would be interesting to see her developed more. Like traveling with purpose of advancing water master dream by expanding aside from Whirl Cup,introduce her rival,develop her pokemon etc.
    Having her go on journey to become Lorelei or some other powerful trainer apprentice and eventually become E4 of water(basically achievmnt of her dream) would be cool too, accompanying Ash and group for onme last time before she gets to destination and achirves something big enough that we could say how she came closer toward her dreams.

Getting some closure she never really was able to receive.

Because i miss original pokemon girl wanting to see her again, see how much she changed, enjoy in her various antics, funny outbursts and lively quirks and see some follow up on her well at this point unresolved story. More development from Misty playing some valuable role in pokemon again after so much time wouldn't hurt especially with so many potential and innovative directions to take her forward. Right?
    It would kind of unexpected, fresh twist to story and i imagine she could lift up atmosphere in main cast through her adamant, curious, hotheaded nature finding common language with new incomers and revive friendship with Ash. Now that both are more mature not seeing each other for very long time reviving on that sarcasm, flare, funny quips and respect, admiration they holded toward each other being great friends.

Its been 9 years and good old fiery, sweet and passionate redhead deserves to come back.;)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    May was a great travelling partner for Ash, in my opinion. She was pretty energetic, cheerful, and acceptance to change. All-in-all, she had a unique personality, and brought something new to the table. In anime, I loved all things that she contributed in terms of entertainment; to me, it was very fun to see her train, prepare for Pokémon contests, and do whatever she does best. Usually, Ash's gym battles is the only thing that we look most forward to, but in Advanced Generation, it wasn't; due to May, contests were also important. If she were to ever return someday for a season or two, I would be very, very happy.

Another character I'd like to see return someday is Brock. I'm not sure about others, but personally, I actually did enjoy his accompany. In most cases, he could be seen as goofy, which I was a fan of, but he could still make himself serious whenever he needs to. Cilan, Tracey, and other replacements of him were good, but if you ask me, none were able to live up to this guy, or ever will. I'm kind of a clingy person, however, which might cause me to be a little biased here, but I'm still trying to avoid that and be as honest as I possibly can.

Braxien

Banned
    Years
  • The answers to your first three questions have to be Brock. As rom hunter said, I could not imagine the anime without him.

It would be nice to see May and Max to return. If it were to happen, it would be nice if May had achieved her goals - unlike Ash, who is currently trying to not a be a complete noob - and Max had grown older and more mature, therefore owning a Pokémon of his own.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    By far Brock, although he did get a bit boring late on but discounting that he's by far the best male companion for Ash. I personally preferred May over Misty. She was a lot more upbeat, produced some great moments and was actually as character that had a goal whersas Misty just tagged along with Ash.

Although I loved Unova, I was glad that at 3 seasons they ended relations with Iris & Cilan. They weren't the best characters in all honesty but they never ripped it if you would, and it never felt like they were there to long and overused.

Max at times was a phenomenol character, but at times slightly annoying. I'll leave it there.

Back